XS750 to XS896 big bore

Late 750's also got rid of that thing i think.
I hope that started with the XS750SE which is the base for my 896! ::)
Obviously as Yamaha eliminated the cams in later models it is not needed. Wondering if I could replace the spring with a nylon sleeve to lock the cams engaged??

XS750AU said:
I hope that started with the XS750SE which is the base for my 896! ::)
Obviously as Yamaha eliminated the cams in later models it is not needed. Wondering if I could replace the spring with a nylon sleeve to lock the cams engaged??
I would prefer a steel sleeve. Preferably hardened to match the output shaft.

Distraction time of the year.
Snapper are back in the bay!! This one was about 80cm and 8kg - he went back to breed ;D
We kept 2 @ 60cm and 4kg plus another 3 at around 38cm and 1kg which was enough for a good feed.
Did manage to fix the brakes today, and planning to get the tank painted after work this week.

Attachments

• 20171007_085405.jpg
    20171007_085405.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 231
Not totally distracted by fishing.
The tank painting has come along, not totally satisfied, but it is looking reasonable.
I have followed the same theme, but the details are different. I have used a red metallic where the original was a solid red. I have used a gold pinstripe where Yamaha had a red and a red/brown. The logo is genuine Yamaha but was different to the original tank I had in that the original had a black perimeter around the letters and the logo I bought was just solid white.
Looks great from about 2m, certainly I have learnt a lot from this attempt. The next tank will be a lot better and easier.

Attachments

• 20171013_123557.jpg
    20171013_123557.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 20171013_123720.jpg
    20171013_123720.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 224
  • 20171013_123750.jpg
    20171013_123750.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 235
Battery location has been troubling me. :-\
Came up with a solution today, after going fishing and only catching 1 keeper.
Made up a dummy battery out of cardboard and then used that to find a suitable location.
Battery and solenoid need to be assembled/connected before the bracket is mounted to a plate I welded to the lower cross brace. It is certainly down and out of the way! ;D

Attachments

• Battery installed side.jpg
    Battery installed side.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 230
  • Battery installed top.jpg
    Battery installed top.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 223
  • Battery mount assy.jpg
    Battery mount assy.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 222
  • Battery mount.jpg
    Battery mount.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 608
does the battery clear the main stand?
It does not on mine as I am not using the centre stand, I am only fitting the side stand.
Depends on which battery you are going to use, but with a small battery it should be possible to get both the battery and centre stand to work.
Since these photos, I have change the starter solenoid mount so that the terminals are now pointing up when installed. Easier to connect terminals and less chance of them shoring out on the engine.

All the electricals are working except the indicators. They light up, but do not flash. I am sure it is due to the lower wattage indicators. I have put a 50W 6ohm resistor into the output side from the flasher relay but still they will not flash, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
There was a small ding in the front fender. I put some vinyl on the chrome surface and then used the English Wheel to roll it out. Did an acceptable job, not perfect but acceptable.

Attachments

• Front creased.jpg
    Front creased.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 238
  • Front protected.jpg
    Front protected.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 232
  • Front repaired.jpg
    Front repaired.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 227
Hey tim!

Are you running the stock flasher relays?
Since youre running led blinkers theres nit enough wattage to get the mechanical relays going.
What I ve done on all my builds is to run a electronic relays (costs around 20 euro),in german its called 'lastunabhängiges Relais' which means its not dependable on the wattage (mine is as small as a 2 euro coin)
and will run and flash on any wattage (even when one blinker is toast).

Toss the stock relays not worth the time...

There's two and three (and even four) wire versions of said flasher relay. The third one generally being an extra ground, the fourth one an extra out put for either a trailer or an additional indicator.

Just chiming in that i had to retorque my head a third time yesterday, after discovering a compression leak. I thought 2 times would do it, i guess the 896 gasket flattens more than copper would.

i had to retorque my head a third time yesterday
Well I have done some calculations and it looks to me that with the later higher compression head the compression ratio is up around 11:1 when bored out to 896cc, which is a significant jump up from 9.2:1. Thanks for the heads up!
Finally got the indicators working by going back to a simple 2 pin blinker solenoid.
Tank is finally finished. 6 coats of clear. ;D
Now it back to doing the headers properly.

some great work.. and brilliant to see the love for the XS750...

I'm thinking of increasing the capacity on my XS750 over the winter as it needs a top end rebuild, and I'm running Daytona Carbs so I hope to finally unleash some more power really!.

107242-031117061326.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom