1978 KE100 Rebuilt with Mods

Babsworthy said:
I'll have to go with stiffer shocks.
All that will do is make the ride even worse. So now you've reduced suspension travel and stiffened the ride. Slippery slope that is now.

How bout you build the clearance into the frame/seat correctly?

see the rear frame/seat support?

fqfqq.jpg

Notice how high it sits above the frame? Theres a reason.

That thing sure was nice though!

I think you only need 4" plus a little, find the sweet spot in the pan where the tire hits and cut an oval shape, find an old fender that fits the shape and cut it with some tabs to rivet it to the pan tight from the bottom, then build the foam to just over top with a good closed cell layer and yer done.

i appreciate the concern, but considering i probably won't get over 40mph is all that necessary? please elaborate on the "slippery slope".

Babsworthy said:
i appreciate the concern, but considering i probably won't get over 40mph is all that necessary? please elaborate on the "slippery slope".
So, you want to cut corners and end up with an inferior to stock product then? Because thats where the slope is headed.

You can build it right, or you can build it this way. One mistake covers another. Your choice.

DohcBikes said:
So, you want to cut corners and end up with an inferior to stock product then? Because thats where the slope is headed.

You can build it right, or you can build it this way. One mistake covers another. Your choice.

what would you do in this situation? i'm still learning here, so any help would be great. i'm actually currently ready the shock calculator thread right now.

Very simple, make clearance. There are many ways explained on this site, Tune-A-Fish already gave you one good suggestion. Keep reading, and let others here weigh in before you go off the deep end with any mods. I've honestly explained it so many times that i'm game to let others tell you what they did.

Shock tuning is something that can greatly add to your riding experience. Why not build a bike that you want to ride faster and farther, more comfortably? To each his own but i thought thats what almost anyone would want.

DohcBikes said:
Very simple, make clearance. There are many ways explained on this site, Tune-A-Fish already gave you one good suggestion. Keep reading, and let others here weigh in before you go off the deep end with any mods. I've honestly explained it so many times that i'm game to let others tell you what they did.

Shock tuning is something that can greatly add to your riding experience. Why not build a bike that you want to ride faster and farther, more comfortably? To each his own but i thought thats what almost anyone would want.

Thanks for the advice. i'll keep reading about shock tuning, but i don't think i'll get in to that just yet. Make clearance it is!

Purchased some stearing stem roller bearings and bolt on moped handlebars. Thinking about going with convertinging to moped wheels and possible disk brakes since all reports on the stock drum brakes are iffy at best.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tune-A-Fish said:
I think you only need 4" plus a little, find the sweet spot in the pan where the tire hits and cut an oval shape, find an old fender that fits the shape and cut it with some tabs to rivet it to the pan tight from the bottom, then build the foam to just over top with a good closed cell layer and yer done.
I've taken your advice and I'm cutting in to the pan. So from no load to scraping the frame I have 3.7 inches of travel for the shocks. I'll have to do some more research but if that isn't enough I'll have to extent the seat loop out another inch and cut off the crossbar and move it forward an inch.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1457633307247.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1457633307247.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 316
  • uploadfromtaptalk1457633324908.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1457633324908.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 332
Put one shock on and ratchet strap it down to the shock stop, this will give you the bottom out and if you can get a little more up to an inch would be perfect. You can add to the stop, but not optimal an any way for your lower lumbar.

Cut the seat pan.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1457636003880.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1457636003880.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 308
  • uploadfromtaptalk1457636010615.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1457636010615.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 320
Here's as low as it will go.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1457638017166.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1457638017166.jpg
    799.9 KB · Views: 308
The tire just barely peaks over the bar.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1457638056733.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1457638056733.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 323
Nice! the buble can be an inch and a half maybe only 6-8 " long X the tire plus a half each side maybe.

Back
Top Bottom