3DogNate's 1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R Resoration

So I was a bit lazy this weekend... Had to order center stand bolt kit... That's not arrived yet. I did get out tonight and drilled fitted the front fender and braces...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice clean work. Gotta love it.

(I've got a "thing" for Bonnevilles)

So I've got the rear frame bolted on along with the center stand and swingarm I have also added a new pair of shocks and placed the rear wheel on the frame.

Next I started prepping the tank for media blasting and a little dent repair... BUT!!!! It would appear the the front right side tank mount has seen an attempt for a repair and when that was done a hole was drilled clear into the tank... Now I gotta decide if I'm going to bother trying to cut off that bung and weld the hole in the tank and re-attach the bung and clean that thing up and save the tank. Or do I scrap it and get a repop? I wonder if there's a bunch of filler under the blue?

It's a roller!

I'd go with a reproduction tank. If time is money, it's a better solution.

grandpaul said:
It's a roller!

I'd go with a reproduction tank. If time is money, it's a better solution.

Ouch... $360 is the cheapest I see for a new tank that is not a cruddy looking India repop. This isn't a production shop so i should probably get my cutoff tool and get to work.

So... F it... I jumped in and it wasn't really that hard to correct.

Said hole...

The hole is welded up....

And the bung welded back on... (I gotta get better at welding)

So I took the tank over to George's house yesterday and used his blasting cabinet and blew the paint and rust off the tank. It turned out to be very straight except for one little dent... Got a little filler on it and gonna try to get the fenders and tank in primer Sunday.

Okay. It's been a wee bit since I've made an update. But I've gotten all the powder coating complete. I've done the body work on the gas tank and oil tank. And today after work I managed to get the final epoxy primer coats on the parts that get painted.

I also managed to get the seat pan cleaned up sandblasted and powder coated and the seat re-coverd.

I'm going to attempt to get the side cover and oil tank base coated, decals applied and clear coated tomorrow. Only have a couple of days this week to do that and I don't think we'll have any more good weather for outdoor painting until spring.

3DogNate said:
I was able to find a really nice set of original Lucas under tank reflectors for very reasonable on eBay. They can get pretty pricey. I also have the headlight all ready to go... New bucket and ammeter and indicator lenses and original switch and headlamp lens. I may rechrome the original Lucas bucket eventually but these Emgo looks the part quite nicely.

I have no words.. that is amazing!!

I painted the oil tank and Side cover today. I'm not very happy with the decals I got from "From Another Time" these will probably get redone with water slides when I paint the tank and fenders in the spring.

501F060C-793B-4097-AFC9-8E53742EBB92_zpstowai20g.jpg

Stinks your not happy w the decals. Looks great from here. ;)

You got a fantastic finish on that. Is that 2k clear over the black?

Did you spray clear immediately following the black or did you give the black time to cure...how long?

The decals will do... I'll not use the rest... I'll get new water slides from here on out. And yes I use urethane base coat with a 2k clear (from a gun not a spray bomb) and yes you should technically spray your clear over your base coat within 4hrs. The hardener in the clear will cause the base to cure as well.
Here's pics after wet sanding and buffing them out this afternoon.

Very nice! I have a couple of 69 Bonneville basket cases. I really need to get going on them. Thanks for the inspiration!

Ed

edhaeuser said:
Very nice! I have a couple of 69 Bonneville basket cases. I really need to get going on them. Thanks for the inspiration!

I can help you with all kinds of resources on those. I have a sort of Bonneville fixation...

'64 Street tracker rolling project
'65 Bonnie restoration in-work
'66 Bonnie (unrestored original)
'67 Bonnie restored, regular rider
'68 Bonnie restoration in-work
'69 Bonnie resto/mod mostly original
'69 Bonnie AHRMA Historic Production Heavyweight roadracer (scratch built)
'70 "TrophyVille" (Bonnie with Trophy scrambler pipes, otherwise stock)
'79 Bonnie 750 Special, unrestored
'83 TSS 8-valve w/ e-start
Triton custom with '66 Bonnie engine
'72 Bonnie engine in a rolling trike frame project
'71 Bonnie engine in a rolling Triton project

I've owned, built, and sold another 20+ Triumph big twins, most of which were Bonnies...

3DogNate, From Another time "transfers" are nothing more than images (sometime stolen from other sources) printed on cheap ink jet hobby decal paper. Throw them away and buy waterslides or vinyl decals from a proper British motorcycle dealer. Read more about these 'transfers" here: http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=409965#Post409965

So with spring around the corner, I'm gonna get back on the project. George came by tonight and we managed to get the cylinder unstuck. Side covers are coming off and then we'll get together Thursday and break it down the rest of the way so that I can get the cylinder and head off to the machinist. Lots to do before this thing is rideable...

3DogNate said:
...break it down the rest of the way so that I can get the cylinder and head off to the machinist.

Don't forget to have him mic check the crankshaft and rods as well...

Back
Top Bottom