CNC machine or 3D printing help!

rentedshoes

Been Around the Block
Hey everybody. I need a part manufactured but I can't seem to find anyone to do it affordably. Online Machine shop wanted $1,400 and the online 3d printer wanted $700. Is there anybody out there in Cafe land that would be willing to help? I'm willing to pay a reasonable price.

I'd love to have this CNC'd or 3d printed from aluminum. See file below.

oFvtVPX.png

Be better off fixturing that and welding it. Heavy wall tubing and some round stock.

To machine that out of a billet, $1,400 is more than reasonable.

+1. Depending on finish required, or quoted, 3d contouring those pieces for $1400 really isn't to out of line. There are alot of chips to be made on an expensive piece of equipment to munch those out of a billet. Not to mention that the way it's drawn, you have sharp inside corners meeting from one piece of round stock adjacent to another. If they quoted it to actually match that drawing, there would be alot of tricky contouring done with a very tiny end mill.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you have access to a lathe, you can make the 3 "cups" for each side, then hand cope the stock to mate up to it and have it welded. Probably cost under $100. No access to lathe, probably $300.

if you dont have a lathe there is always http://www.bungking.com/bungs/

Alternatively you can change the design to something more worthy of being machined.

Shapeways.com

Their stainless steel and aluminum 3D printing prices are very reasonable.

this is definitely the kind of piece that wants to be welded, if you just want a nice looking cnc part, send me the file and I can draw it in a more machinable form and quote the machining

Thanks for all the input. I clearly under estimated the time and effort that goes into these processes.
themotoworks said:
this is definitely the kind of piece that wants to be welded, if you just want a nice looking cnc part, send me the file and I can draw it in a more machinable form and quote the machining

@themotoworks, I'll take you up on that offer to redesign and machine. What file format do you require? This piece will not be a focal point on the project but it will be very much in view.

Back
Top Bottom