VHT Caliper Paint

jcharny

I painted my calipers with VHT SP739 Satin Black Caliper Paint last night. The instructions were to apply 2 dry coats and 1 one wet coat within 1 hour, allowing 10 minutes between coats. The instructions also say, if additional coats are needed, wait 7 days before applying more paint. VHT caliper paint must be cured at 200 deg F for 60 minutes- they're currently in the oven. My question is, if I cure them, do I still have to wait 7 days to apply additional coats of black or VHT's caliper clear coat? I can't imagine the proper application is to wait 7 days, apply additional coats, THEN cure in an oven? To summarize 2 questions:

1) Can additional coats of VHT caliper paint be applied AFTER curing at 200deg F?

2) If yes to the above question, do you need to wait 7 days to apply additional coats or is the 7 day waiting period ONLY NECESSARY if waiting to cure with heat after all paint has been applied?

Thanks,

JMC

charnado said:
I painted my calipers with VHT SP739 Satin Black Caliper Paint last night. The instructions were to apply 2 dry coats and 1 one wet coat within 1 hour, allowing 10 minutes between coats. The instructions also say, if additional coats are needed, wait 7 days before applying more paint. VHT caliper paint must be cured at 200 deg F for 60 minutes- they're currently in the oven. My question is, if I cure them, do I still have to wait 7 days to apply additional coats of black or VHT's caliper clear coat? I can't imagine the proper application is to wait 7 days, apply additional coats, THEN cure in an oven? To summarize 2 questions:

1) Can additional coats of VHT caliper paint be applied AFTER curing at 200deg F

2) If yes to the above question, do you need to wait 7 days to apply additional coats or is the 7 day waiting period ONLY NECESSARY if waiting to cure with heat after all paint has been applied.

Thanks,

JMC

Can additional coats be applied after curing? The answer is yes, after 7 days.

I believe this because you say the directions require that it "must" be cured at 200*. It doesn't say "it must be cured at 200* unless you wait 7 days."

I'm not sure if curing at 200 degrees is a must or just recommended.

On the engine paint, they say to wait 7 days before applying additional coats. They also say running the engine can be used to cure the paint. So I don't think they two are really related.

Not my area of expertise at all, but I believe if you apply another coat before the 7 day period, there is a chance that off-gasing of the paint will cause the newly applied layer to not bond correctly and maybe even flake off later.

ben

Back
Top Bottom