Paddock Starter

UK Mark

Been Around the Block
Happy New Year to All

Project...'paddock starter'

This is a job my son has taken on as a challenge. He'll be using the school machine shop for certain pieces such as the spindles etc, otherwise it's a homework job for me. It will count for engineering and design in his coursework too. (He's nearly 14).

I've bought a pair of wheels and bearings from EBay to get him started and I'll buy other bits and pieces as he needs them, so it's not a huge outlay all at once. I've got tube benders, chop saw, welder and most things in my workshop at home and he's handy with most things already.

I've helped him with research and this should be a handy piece of kit for starting my Weslake. A recent break to my right ankle has made kicking bikes up something I don't relish, unless I have my motocross boots on and these aren't any good for riding a featherbed.

He's working from drawings and is pretty much on his own, although under supervision and this is where he is up to after a couple of afternoons.

Frame is made up from 30mm x 3mm round tube. Next job is a pair of front brackets to hold bearings for the main spindle and a plate for the engine, which will be a Honda GX or Loncin equivalent.

Front section around the kart tyre has been bent, rather than a mitre or butt joint as per usual and drawings. There won't be too many deviations from the plans we have, but if he thinks anything may be an improvement then it's a green light after we discuss it.

First picture is what he's aiming for, the second is where he's up to

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 294
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,021.4 KB · Views: 458
A customer of mine got to talking about his past racing and mentioned he had some stuff he would let go. The next day he showed up with a Pit Boss front fork stand and this Honda pit starter and dropped them off with me.

Back
Top Bottom