Re: Yamaha xs400 (Tracker/dual sport) VIDEO!

Re: Yamaha xs400 (Tracker/dual sport)

I set an ok kawi tank on the xts just for shiggles, I think it looks kinda cool.

1329601212.jpg

I am still planing on going with the other tank I just wanted to see how it looked. It would take a lot of work to make it fit right, and it doesn't hold much fuel. I am sticking with this tail section. I like it. Now I just need to figure out an inner fender and where to hide the wiring. I also need to work on tail light and blinkers.

MotorbikeBruno said:
That's not too bad ;)

I like the new tail too.

Hell Ya Dude What a Creation.....Just as i was thinkin about spending $1,000 on a DRZ400 you go an build This......"and TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!!!"

Haha...I actually started this build because I just bought a brand new triumph tiger and didnt want to get it dirty, so rather than buy another bike I decided to build one. Drz400 is a nice bike though. Wife was away for the afternoon so I got to work on the bike a little. I mounted the new carbs, (new cable in the mail) put the sprocket cover on and made a shorty shifter. I also got the coils mounted under the tank. They barely fit. Everything on this bike is suuuuuuuuuuuuuper tight, especially under the tank. I put the levers and controls off of the old xs onto the new bike, ignition switch bolted right up to the mounts on the triple tree. That made me happy. I cleaned up the wiring harness and started to figure out what I'm going to have to do for wiring. I dont think its going to be that bad. I also welded the end on my seat pan. My exhaust should be here tomorrow, I'm really excited to see how that looks. The bike is begining to look whole. I need to get a chain and figure out my lighting. Should have it running before to long. When I get my good camera back I will post some better pictures.
102_5246.jpg
102_5248.jpg
102_5249.jpg
102_5251.jpg

The xt tank will blend into flow of the bike once the seat is fitted I believe.
Awesome work mate.

Nice work, You still going to trellis the seat frame? That will finish it off nice. This is turning out to be a very cool build.

Cheers,

Maritime

Thanks guys! I think the seat will complete the look. I want to do the trellis but I may have to make side panels to hide the mass of electronics.

My exhaust came today. I mocked it up and snapped a few pictures. I know it looks kinda funny since they're just hanging there, but It should look pretty cool once the exhaust is plumbed. I also decided that since the rear spokes were all rusty i would get a new set. At 65$ a set....yuck! I also wasn't thrilled about having drum brakes in the back, so I bid on a yz rear wheel and caliper/master with lines and foot control. I won it all for $32.00! And it even comes with a decent tire and new brake pads. (the spokes are good too) So for almost half the price of new spokes I am getting nice shiny spokes on and disc brakes. Its just going to take a little extra fab work to fit the yz wheel to the xt chassis, but at this point whats one more thing. SCORE!
DSC_0176-1.jpg
DSC_0177-1.jpg
DSC_0178-1.jpg
DSC_0179-1.jpg
DSC_0180-1.jpg
DSC_0181-1.jpg
DSC_0182-1.jpg
DSC_0183-1.jpg

I like that exhaust a lot. Looks sharp! Cool beans on the rear wheel score with the disk brake etc.

Really like the exhaust and new seat. Not sure about how the tank looks with it. Will have to let it soak in.

I was against the tank and seat combo initiall as it seemed unbalance, but the exhaust actually brought the whole thing together!

valvesprung,
I think your right. Once the seat pad is on there, it will look a whole lot different also.

I was talking to my dad about needing some sort of crash bar to protect the exhaust "when/if" I drop the bike. I would like to integrate the rear turn signals into this so they are protected as well. Any Ideas??? I also would like to hinge the seat for easy access to the electronics. Any pointers on that would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Maybe mounting the cans on the inside of the bracket rather than on the outside as it already is will allow you to build a simple tubular frame that comes around each can with an indicator (without bulging out too far).
An image for though: http://images.wemoto.com/full/CRASH/10011151.jpg

Back
Top Bottom