KZ550 bob/Cafe almost there!!!

Re: KZ550 bob/chop/cafe? Exhaust idea finally done!

"And I hate wiring, good luck."

You and me BOTH. But I've got it all tidied up for now. Went from a 3 ft or so harness down to 1ft. And when I get it running and happy, I'll completely re-do that jumble of wires and get it really cleaned up.

As for right now. Just got my shims, bars, grips, and new shortened throttle cables! Happy birthday to me indeed! haha. Ok now back to making this stupid bike run again!

Hooray to progress!!! Finally. After doing about 15 bikes last year (banks of 4 carbs each) I had so much confidence in myself that I overlooked one of the simplest things. It was Running STUPIDLY lean, fuel goes into the center of the 4 carbs so 2/3 were getting fuel and not giving any to 1/4. EF. So I fixed a few things on the carbs with a parts carb, added the baffles (didn't change how loud it was...) and now she runs on all four and is quite happy. I continued to fix the undertail section, by adding a plate to it that holds it in place, and reshaping it a bit because the chain hit it. Test runs went great and now I can move forward! So here is a picture of the bike in "test" mode. Complete with bad foam seat! haha (better than sitting on a piece of metal...

Attachments

• KZprojectpic63.JPG
    KZprojectpic63.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 382

Hay mate hope all is well with you, love to hear them pipes.
Can you get a video up on here? Or YouTube?

My build is coming on well, engine just about finished, frame chopped and nearly ready for powder coating. I will get some posting done when I get time!!!!

Catch you soon

Gav

yeah, I'll get a video up sometime later today for ya! ;D It kinda sounds like an old hotrod with some aftermarket cams or something. My dad usually hates the sounds of most of my bikes...but he happens to think this one sounds really cool.

Loving this thing man, I really got to get started on my KZ550 seat rails. I cut em clean off last year and haven't put anything in their place!

Heck ya Silverstonepgt get on it! Hope you like the sound of this thing as much as I do!

Here's the link to the video...my brother drove it so I could hear it and take the video! haha

KZTestridepipes

Sounds....A..MAZING! Love it man! I would be so sad every second I was not riding it! ;D

Haha, yeah I'm just waiting to powdercoat the frame because I'm not sure what else I want to add to it. I kind of wanted to drive it for a bit to see if there was going to be something else needed. But I am losing my patience very quickly as the sun keeps showing itself more and more... Thanks for the compliment sir.

alright man, sounds real mean. nice work

Re: KZ550 bob/chop/cafe? Sidecover and paint thoughts....

Sounds cool (check)
Looks cool (still working on it! ;D ) haha. I made a sidecover for it tonight and painted in the dips on the tank with some black primer to get a better look at what I want to do with painting it. Still have NO clue what color I'm going to have the frame powdercoated yet....any thoughts or suggestions are welcome as always!

Attachments

• KZprojectpic64Sidecover.JPG
    KZprojectpic64Sidecover.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 342

Superbike bars. I had drag bars but these were a little more comfy. Got them from Z1 enterprises. Their Part number EM23-12571 and they were $14.03! Not too bad if you ask me. Plus they were black so I didn't have to do any crummy paint jobs or powdercoating.

Ok, finally back to the bike...it has been over a month since I've been able to work on it. I've had 2 bikes that needed to get out of the shop here for space, and I fixed up a few friends bikes too. Here's some pics of those things. The KZ550 turned out pretty nice except for the seat (which I had just laying around). And the CB550 I am nicknaming "stitch" for right now because I just tack welded some metal over the giant gaping holes in the pipes. Enough to get some of the back pressure that was once there!

ProjectGreyson1.jpg

ProjectGreyson7.jpg

ProjectGreyson6.jpg

And the CB550

1208001450a.jpg

P1015426.jpg

P1015427.jpg

TitleDOC.jpg

She also got new bearings and painted rims. Much better than the rust that was there...

2011-05-20101051.jpg

Here's the battery I got...nice little guy. haha

2011-05-18182658.jpg

Re: KZ550 bob/chop/cafe?Slowly coming towards the end!

Ok here is where I am right now. I'll do a little explaining, and then I'll take any and all ideas of course! Safety is involved here so I will appreciate the thoughts.

The Z has a drum rear brake. I fitted the exhaust in where the original bracket that holds the passenger pegs was. I am thinking of using a brake cable from another bike (this one has disc front) and linkage for the rear. So maybe a cb360 front drum cable? Running along the engine and under the frame, and having it come out the side. See the second picture that I "drew" on haha. The red line is the cable. I would have a mount made on the brake pedal that it would screw into like it would on a CB drum. And that part would be on a set of sealed roller bearings. I'm giving this a shot, and I really don't see any problems arising from it, but if you see something, please let me know. Thanks guys!

Bruno

Attachments

• KZprojectpic65 Rearbrake.JPG
    KZprojectpic65 Rearbrake.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 366
  • KZprojectpic66 Concept.JPG
    KZprojectpic66 Concept.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 363
Re: KZ550 bob/chop/cafe? Rear Brake...Check.

Well, finally got some time after losing money in Vegas....ugh.

This is what I've come up with. Right now it's just a throttle cable. And it needs some tweaking. BUT. It works!! I'm going to end up using a custom cable from Motion Pro or something. I want it thick like the ones they use for clutches and the old front drum brakes. It also needs to be a little more um....good looking? Haha.

Here's the front.
KZprojectpic67Rearbrake.jpg

And the whole thing. Sorry about the crappy cell pics.

KZprojectpic68Rearbrake.jpg

Re: KZ550 bob/chop/cafe? Never done eh?

For all the engineering and such that it took to get that to work. Well, I found that I personally can't make it good looking. So I'm scrapping it and changing plans yet again! I've got a KZ750 rear rim that I can toss on. They seem to be an exact fit, but it has a DISC brake so I am going to play around with that over the next week or so! Finding all the bits to make it work is going to be fun.

Well fancy giving up!
I used these for my rear brake cable, www.venhill.co.uk they make any size cable with any ends you want.
Sold the bike over the weekend!
Z650 next with a GPz750 lump!!

That's definitely not the issue. We've got a few companies nearby the shop that will do that for me. I am just not really liking what I've got going on, in my head it looked and felt better. I figured since I already have the whole rear end of a KZ750 including the swinger, having a rear brake thats disc and drilled to match the front will look better in the end. My problem right now is the 9 bikes I'm working on at the same time...haha oh well. Glad to hear you sold that one, she looked great! Can't wait to see what you do to the Z650, not to mention tossing in a GPZ engine...that thing is going to be FUN! I'll get my arse back on this one since its really been far too long!

I'm curious, have you've looked around for spoked rims that could potentially work on the 550?

Not yet...but have you been to the axle/fork size chart or thread we have on here? Its unbelievable how much info in it. Could be a great place to start. I would assume that some spacers could be made for different rims etc.

Back
Top Bottom