"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

beachcomber

TJ - Beachcomber
DTT SUPPORTER
It's official - donor arrived tonight and stands me in around £250 with the transport costs. ;D

It's one of the first UK bikes [ 1976 ] and is a wire wheel model [ 18" and 19" ].

I have the last 30 years of history - used as a regular ride and then "Chopperised". Fortunately that only consisted of ripping the lights off and replacing with aftermarket stuff, fitting a flat roll seat, apehangers [ yes really ! ] and 2" chrome speedo and r/c. Oh yes and some freaky 2 into 1 exhaust !

The engine was rebored and "refreshed" and then it was essentially left in a shed - a shed with a very leaky roof by the looks of the brightwork [ rustwork ]. However the motor still turns over OK and has plenty of compression. I'll check that out more thoroughly over the next few days.

Fortunately most of the bad stuff I'll be replacing during the build anyway.

I have most of the makings of either a Cafe Racer or a Tracker in my stash of garage goodies, but the Tracker has the nod at the moment. 8)

XR750 seat [ with Tan suede upholstery ], Shotgun rear lamp, Renthals, Tarozzi rear sets, 4" Bates headlamp, and a pile of other parts.

Why the two names ? Well it's either going to be Fuck off Yellow or Tangerine - probably with Satin Black accents.

Wheels look good [ by torchlite! ] but I'll be going the blast and powder coat route while still assembled to save money. Depending on the main colour they'll be Satin Black or Gold.

I'm thinking of a high level Siamese - a la Triumph - or maybe two high pipes like the XS650 Trackers.

Any tips from my US cousins on exhaust suppliers ?

That's it then [ apart from a sidecar ] NO more projects ...... maybe ;)

Re: "Not so Mellow Yellow" - KZ750 - "Tangerine Dream"

Let see some pictures.

Unless you go custom exhaust your options are kinda limited. This places is pretty good. http://www.nichecycle.com/ They sell a 2 into 2 or 2 into 1 for the kz750 twin. I got my carb jets from these guys as well.

Yeah, let's see these apehangers.

X RATED WARNING - THESE PICTURES ARE FOR ADULTS ONLY .........

On the bright side [ I'm a glass half full type ] - the frame has already been detagged / decluttered - it already has stainless braided brake lines [ saving £70 or so ], it has headlamp brackets albeit in need of a refresh and according to the paperwork - it's done less than 500 miles since an engine rebuild.

Thanx for the tip on the exhausts CM - I think I'll pass on this "custom" system !!! :eek:

Bizarrely the chrome on the rims isn't bad ! However, they'll be going the blast / powder coat route.

Usually I manage to sell off quite a few of the unwanted parts to bring the donor cost down - but in this case - I don't think so. ::) However - check out that OEM Triumph / BSA alloy lamp / plinth - they fetch £50 +, or maybe use it as a "period" piece?

In reality the frame / swing arm and wheels would have to be blasted / powder coated whatever the condition. I have a set of taper roller headstock bearings and fork seals in my garage - so hopefully that's all the front end will need other than the fork legs polished. I also have some new BSA fork gaiters.

Now then - you have been warned ............................

KZ750B005.jpg

KZ750B006.jpg

KZ750B013.jpg

Yeah, that's a project alright...

Rust is an amazing thing. The tail light doesn't look too bad but the rear fender is about to rust out from under it. I await the transformation!

Remember I bought this thing sight unseen as "spares or repairs" !

When my transport guy arrived to collect it he rang me up straight away and said " Are you really sure about this" !!!! ::)

His actual words were - "It's crumbling apart as I'm strapping it down" - so I really was expecting the worse.

The basics are all there and OK - essentially the motor turns freely and has plenty of compression - and the oil is as new ! Mostly cosmetic damage - and nothing that wouldn't have been refurbished or replaced in any event.

I cleaned some of the corrosion off the alloy rear lamp plinth - and it's completely undamaged under a layer of fur ! Even the lens is clear and undamaged.

I'm hoping to get the frame stripped and down to the shotblasters when they re-open after the holidays.

Wow. That's something alright. Looks like they bobbed the frame at the seat. Good luck on this project.

DesmoBro said:
Please finish the Kay Fighter first

Funny enough I was checking out progress on my front wheel spacer only yesterday !!

Seems like you are aware of the Kay Fighter, so you'll know the aggro I've had tring to get even small jobs done by "mates".

This front wheel spacer has started to have a life of it's own - 9 months and now the THIRD - "oh leave it to me - no problem". Wish I'd gone with my first plan and used a load of washers [ no, not really ].

I even started it and ran it up 2 weeks ago just to keep everything nicely lubed.

I've worked out that with certain out sourced services - like polishing, shotblasting, powder coating, I get a much better deal the more I take down at one time - just natural economics I guess.

So although at first glance I might seem bonkers having [ 4 now ] all these projects on the go, I can at least benefit from "bulk buying" as it were.

There'll be SIX wheels going to the powder coaters now - 2 k1200S 5 spoke alloys for the Fighter, 2 x steel XS650 wheels for Cafe Creme and now 2 x steel wheels for NSMY. He normally charges £35 each [ trade ] - I'm getting all 6 done for £150.

TWO x frames and swing arms, 2 sets of triple trees.

Then there's the polishing - 3 x sets of alloy fork bottoms, plus miscellaneous other parts.

Even mundane parts like bearings [ wheel and headstock ] benefit from bulk buying pricewise.

My funding process won't allow me to have it all done at once ! Frames / swing arms will be first together with fork polishing and triple trees - that'll allow me to assemble the frame / forks ready for the off.

I'm working on a local guy to make the frame for Cafe Creme - maybe around July.

The KZ was bought because of the extremely low price - normally ANYTHING on wheels here in the UK is around £1K +. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it right now. For what I paid, it could sit in the garage for a few years [ but it won't ].

Yep - the Fighter will cross the finish line first, if for no other reason than it's 95% finished now !

Anyway DB - I thank you for taking the interest, there'll be new pix after the Christmas holiday - promise.

CM - thanx for the headsup on the bobbed frame rails.

I now have a picture of a bare frame and the mod is now obvious.

On the plus side - all the welding / fab seems to be of a good standard - just need to replace the top frame rail / rear loop. Bizarrely, despite all the rust and corrosion - the wiring loom is in good condition ! It's been modded, but the actual material is in good condition.

I'll give it a whirl at starting before I rip into it.

BTW - here's a high level system I'v seen on a couple of KZ750's now. I would have preferred the bends to be tighter / tidier - but better than a total one off, probably.

z750pipes.jpg

thCAJOPXRX.jpg

Good luck with this one BC I like the "lonesome Twins" and been looking for a cheap one myself.

That pipe looks similar to my scrambler Arrow 2 into 1 pipe. Def much tighter bends.

1ECD8637-9FC9-402F-8E3E-E2243067947C-25845-0000117A68A3A3CF.jpg

crackerman said:
That pipe looks similar to my scrambler Arrow 2 into 1 pipe. Def much tighter bends.

1ECD8637-9FC9-402F-8E3E-E2243067947C-25845-0000117A68A3A3CF.jpg

That's much more like it CM !!!!!! The two sets of pipes [ my pix ] look identical - so I'm guessing they must be commercially available. That said they DO look ugly compared to yours ! I quite like the high level Siamese system that Triumph used on some of their pre-unit Trophies [ exiting on the other side ]. I think I might end up taking some measurements and seeing if I can mod something.

BTW - I had a very good look around the donor today, and despite appearances everything that I need is in good / salvageable shape. I'm still well pleased, especially for the outlay.

I'm looking for a peanut style tank. Triumph export would be nice - but I imagine expensive. Maybe an SR250, Yam XS500 ..................... ???????

2 hours in - all the clutter off and rough mock up with parts from garage. I'm keeping the pipes on for the time being as I want to try to start it over the Christmas period prior to pulling the lump.

Further little bonuses - it already has a shorty front mudguard and believe it or not NEW brake pads ! The Discs are GTG, but I'm toying with the idea of fitting a spare Brembo 2 pot caliper [ from the Kay ]. They're HALF the weight of the OEM KZ units, and I have to guess - a better braking option.

It would never have worked as a Cafe Racer - again - physically too small. Tracker will just about work out OK.

I found an eyeball smiteing Tangerine / Orange from the new Audi range - might work.

My pal just called to say he found a heavyweight Tan suede jacket in a charity shop - £5 !! That's the upholstery material sorted.

Oh yes - a neighbour has just offered me £50 for the 2 tyres !

All in all I'm pleased with my purchase - what at first seemed like a BIG mistake has turned out fine. now then, if the motor bursts into life, that'll be a happy Christmas.

KZ750B004.jpg

Any advice on how to repair the mudguard 8) ??

KZ750B001.jpg

Thats a nice find and these are a great bike very understated Ive also got one waiting to be converted in to a tracker look forward to seeing your progress :)

Fab Tanks said:
Thats a nice find and these are a great bike very understated Ive also got one waiting to be converted in to a tracker look forward to seeing your progress :)

Yes, as stated - I'm well pleased - especially for the money.

I reality there's NOT a lot you can do to a Tracker to make it really different. Once you accept the idea of a 70's style, everything more or less falls into place. Seat, Bars, tank, exhaust, small / no headlamp ......................

I guess it does give you more scope to be creative with colourways and graffix.

I built a couple of smaller Trackers - XS500, GS450, but they just didn't seem to have enough "presence".

On the plus side, there's not a great deal of expense involved. I guess the exhaust and powder coating will be the main outlays.

Fingers crossed I don't find any horrors when I start the motor !!

Something along these lines for the exhaust ...............

BSA-650-Scrambler-62-1.jpg

They shoulda made that exhaust hanger a little lower so the pipe just drag on the ground. Not sure how they thought that was a good idea.

crackerman said:
They shoulda made that exhaust hanger a little lower so the pipe just drag on the ground. Not sure how they thought that was a good idea.

What with that and the ape hangers - I don't think bend swinging was high on the list of priorities !

I'd pull those carbs apart and soak them. If there the original carbs they are pretty easy to take apart and put back together. Build yourself a real simple wiring harness just to power the starter and coil. Fresh gas, new plugs and it should fire up if it's not seized.

Back
Top Bottom