Summer sleeping quarters

Not much to report other than getting the crooked end about ready for siding. The post was reset and new purlins back on. The nails holding the roof purlins for the outside rafter had to be cut so that rafter could be pulled back in square. The roof is yet to be cut. Luckly, the outside corner post the previous builders had put in, was way out at the bottom and leaning in at the top, so the top wasn't out as bad as it was at the floor (can be seen in pic)
DSC_0588.jpg

Even Layla enjoys a little tranquility

DSC_0604.jpg

awesome, just spent my lunch break reading from post one, brilliant work by a small team, have got it all done brilliantly

Thanks fellas. I appreciate the kind words and I'm really glad you guys like it so far. No progress to report. Lots of other stuff getting in the way. Spent today spreading 40 tons of stone on the drive way, but the past three days I've been busy pounding fence posts and stringing Barbed wire. I needed to fence in some new pasture and thankfully, I'm about done. The new pasture happens to be on the other side of the pond so had to make a land bridge over the spill way. Planted a 12" culvert and dug up several truck loads of soil to cover it. It's about half done now and has about half a days work remaining. Anyhow, next week I hope to get back on the building and hopefully finish the siding and trim. That will be about it for a while though until funds build back up. Once that happens I can start back working on this project and I'll be sure to update the thread

Again, I really appreciate having you guys follow along. You keep me motivated So thanks!

Been doing farm stuff and been very sidetracked so progess has been limited until the past couple days.
Finally got the metal back on the crooked side.
DSC_0613.jpg

Removed a couple panels on the back side and framed in and installed a 4'x4' window for cross ventilation since thgis is on the north side. Once the window was installed cut and replaced the siding
DSC_0608.jpg

Started cutting and installing the metal on the front
DSC_0615.jpg

DSC_0614.jpg

Got a little ahead of myself and started adding the rough sawn poplar trim. Hopefully finish siding and trim tomorrow on the front, then remove the little homemade door and frame in an entrance door

DSC_0617.jpg

Looking top notch as always Troy! Sorry I haven't gotten back to you about any windows.......but there's no news to report on that front.......

This little project is going to be picture perfect when finished (even more so in autumn).

Big Rich said:
Looking top notch as always Troy! Sorry I haven't gotten back to you about any windows.......but there's no news to report on that front.......

This little project is going to be picture perfect when finished (even more so in autumn).
Thanks brother. No worries on the windows or door. Got all I need. Dad had a door stashed away that my grandfather had something to do with years ago so ended up using it.
JustinLonghorn said:
I am going to sleep in there, just saying. Ha.

Seriously fantastic work, sir.
You know you are more than welcome anytime! We seriously need to do a get together real soon. I'm just sayin ;)
VonYinzer said:
So damn cool.
Thanks Mike

A little update:
Crazy weather but have made some progress. Decided since I had to remove the midget door, then frame in a new door, that I'd just tear down the wall and start from scratch.
Removed the metal and started framing the door opening and removing the old perlins
DSC_0626.jpg

Fast forward...way forward....
Framed in the wall and built door jams and installed the door.
Then wrapped things back up
DSC_0629.jpg

Today was one of those kind of days that stays engrained forever. Temperatures were pretty chilly for this time of year so I decided to drag the turbo heater out. It made a nice warm place to slip into and warm up a bit. Then this afternoon the weather got nasty and snow created some white-outs. Found my self in the hammock under a horse blanket, with the heater blasting, all nice and toasty. I'm surprised I got any work done ;)
DSC_0645.jpg

Luckily the snow melted about as fast as it fell so
I was able to slip out between snow showers ( and ZZZZs ;D ;D ) and got some of the metal back on. Finished the metal on the front then moved to the side. Need to finish the side then finish all the trim. Outside is getting close...
DSC_0658.jpg

This really is cool Troy, normally our workshops are our get away's but we end up needing to get away from our get away LOL, I have something like that on wheels. I love that your doing this with the old man, dont have that sort of relationship with mine, however my Wife does a great job of getting involved.. really is cool Andy..

Attachments

• front passengers side 1.JPG
    front passengers side 1.JPG
    548.6 KB · Views: 346
andycafe said:
This really is cool Troy, normally our workshops are our get away's but we end up needing to get away from our get away LOL, I have something like that on wheels. I love that your doing this with the old man, dont have that sort of relationship with mine, however my Wife does a great job of getting involved.. really is cool Andy..
Thanks Andy I appreciate the kind words. I have to say your 'get-a-way' on wheels is insanely beautiful!

JRK5892 said:
i love how it overlooks the pond!
Thanks Joe. I have to admit I can't wait to go to sleep there with a slight breeze blowin off the water and the frogs cherpin outside. You know the door is always open if you find yourself in the area

Not had too much time to work on the cabin but I do have some progress to report.
The place where I was buying the rough sawn poplar boards no longer carries them and I have a limited supply on hand. I need to find another source but that's going to be tough.
This did change things because since I can't guarantee I can find matching boards I wanted to do the windows and some of the other trim in matching wood. I decided to remove the trim that was already up and rip it in two. I left the corners full 6" wide boards and the windows and door got the 3". I actually think the full 6" boards ended up being a little heavy/big for around the windows and the 3" looks better. I also finished installing the door, found some brick molding and got it installed.
The rear corners still need trim (once I locate a wood source) as well as the areas just under the eves at the top. I also still need to cut the rafters plumb and add a fascia board but the outside is coming along

DSC_0680.jpg

Started framing some walls and added some insulation
DSC_0696.jpg

Decided to run the studs horizontal since the wainscoting is metal panels. The metal is ribbed vertically for strength but little horizontal. The center post will be exposed all the way around the room.
DSC_0693.jpg

I think the 3" trim works nicely. Looks cold down there still! We're baking way up north here.

Back
Top Bottom