Down under, an idiot and a 400F

Don't own a Dremel so I thought I would try and jam some Dremel discs on my air cutter. The aim was to cut a chunk out of the lower steering race so I could bash the bastard out!

Worked a treat although there wasn't a lot of working room, need to try and get the cuttin disc a bit further away from the tool.

In the end pleased to have got the race out without too much trouble:

1f11232d.jpg

Polishing prep started today. First up the fork leg. Went well until I saw a rusted snapped bolt in one of the holes. No problem, a trip down to thr hardware store for an easy out. 20 mins later after some penetrating oil and I managed to snap the stupid thing!

cd154f14.jpg

Thought I would try and drill the other side to bang it out but this didn't work :(

4c5ec712.jpg

Looks like I am now looking for a replacement non brake side fork lower. Bollox!

Oh well, thought I would have a crack at something that wasn't buggered, the chain guard side case cover. Damn this sanding business takes some time! This case cover was damn corroded and I tried a number of times to gently polish it but to be honest it was easier to get a bunch of 180 grit and get rid of the corrosion by hand.

Went well and it's actually very therapeutic looking for all the tiny scratches. Next up the 400 wet and dry:

f167ecfc.jpg

156cab83.jpg

I was going to grind off the raised sections but they looked awesome when I squared them off and they were brushed. They will be staying and I will be brushing them to offer some contrast against the polished part.

Put a wanted ad for one of those legs on here. bet there's tons around and the postage from overseas won't be too bad. It's worth a shot right?

I know polishing takes forever, I am still polishing stuff. I have to do it off and on. I would make a sanding mop, out of 600 grit paper. Cuts the time nearly in half. You can put it on a drill or drill press. Super easy to make, takes a little time but it pays it self off. Fun to use also.

Staffy said:
Put a wanted ad for one of those legs on here. bet there's tons around and the postage from overseas won't be too bad. It's worth a shot right?

How much of a hurry are you in neevo? I have a pair here somewhere? Lowers should be OK. Yours for postage.

Let me know.

cheers
ian

bikeboy said:
How much of a hurry are you in neevo? I have a pair here somewhere? Lowers should be OK. Yours for postage.

Let me know.

cheers
ian

Not massive hurry as I am on a restricted budget for the next month (nil ;)) and I still need to have the legs rolled to get a tweak out of them.

Are you talking the whole legs? I only need a lower right hand side leg. Happy to pay postage!

You don't have any of the following too do you?

Carbs
Cam
Headlight bucket
Oil pump rotor

Cheers!

neevo said:
Not massive hurry as I am on a restricted budget for the next month (nil ;)) and I still need to have the legs rolled to get a tweak out of them.

Are you talking the whole legs? I only need a lower right hand side leg. Happy to pay postage!

You don't have any of the following too do you?

Carbs
Cam
Headlight bucket
Oil pump rotor

Cheers!

cool. I'll strip them for you during the week then. Just the lowers- inners are stuffed. You may as well have both-get them out of my hair. can't see it adding too much to postage. That's all I've got I'm afraid.

cheers
ian

neevo said:
Edit: Just realised your in Oz, even better!

It is indeed ;)

PM me your address when you get a minute. I've given them a rough clean and I'll pack 'em up for you (eventually ::))

cheers
ian

EASY -OUT sucks
They always have always will.
I've wasted way too much time repairing other peoples stuff,easy snap are some of the worst things ever 'invented'
If the original bolt was stuck tight enough to break, a smaller diameter 'wedge' won't remove it.
The only time they work is if bolt is already 'loose' in which case a spring loaded punch will turn bolt out

What's the best fix then PJ? Drilling it out from the beginning. What's the technique for that?

1. Pilot hole
2. Bolt width drill bit to clear

I worry if its not 100% centered I'm going to ruin threads.

HAHAHAHA, yes but thats how these always start, should have seen my cafe at the beginning....

Best 'recent invention', left hand drill bits.
If you get off center, the next step is a carbide burr in a Dremel (they are available cheaper than the $13~$18 each Dremel want)
I bought a set of diamond burrs from Harbor Freight Tools (made in China, you probably have something similar in Oz, if not, eBay)
Diamond burrs will grind through easy out (and broken carbide bits)

Latest addition to the neevo workshop:

8fb5ff9a.jpg

Can't wait to see how it goes although plenty more sanding before the buffing wheels get a run throug.

Also requires some finessing of the work bench to get everything neat and organised.

Mount it diagonally across corner of bench for polishing, you need the clearance.
Can you remove the guards? 'open' wheels will also make life easier

Will be looking to swap the shocks on my bike for longer ones to ensure rear end clearance and get the stance I want. Was looking at 900f shocks because I like the look of the reservoir and came across these on eBay. Anyone got thoughts on these or options for 365mm + shocks with a reservoir, eye at top and clevis at bottom?

http://bit.ly/y6WCI4

Back
Top Bottom