Down under, an idiot and a 400F

crazypj said:
Plus, you'll have to buy material to make a jig to hold everything in line.
If you were going into production it would be worthwhile but modifying RD 350 would be quicker and easier

Didn't think about that PJ, another tick in the RD swingarms box.

Fair bit done today although looking at the bike you wouldn't really know,

First up welded up the cut off chain guard holder on the swingarm. It had a depressed section and so I cracked out the filler rod, filled it in and ground it back.

Next up was the subframe. There were a couple of things to achieve here:

1. Remove kinks in the tube after the upright tubes (the tube wasn't level all the way around causing the gap to the bottom of the seat to be inconsistent)
2. Lift it up about 25mm

To remove the kinks I got the grinder and cut some slits where the tube was kinked. Standing on it to bend it slightly, then rewelded back up. Got it pretty good in the end although I will need to tidy the tubes up a bit before paint.

I'm after a sporty aggressive look with this bike, like a modern sportbike. The GSXR front end helps a bit but I needed a bit more space between the rear wheel and the rear hoop. The dodgy way would be to put a longer shock on it, however this would bugger up the handling and also probably cause the chain to rub the swingarm. The other alternative was to bend the whole subframe up, not an issue seeing as I won't require it to be load bearing because I will be converting to a monoshock.

Worried it would look goofy but I used the same technique as I used on the kinked sections. Worked a treat. Just need to get some 1" tube to extend the uprights.

Other items were finishing off the seat, cut the bottom so it was level all the way round, welded up some sections and got the grinder on it so it was smooth. Looks much better:

a24d97dd.jpg

Stance of the bike is looking great compared to how it was.

Old:

ac16b0f4.jpg

New:

70b5723e.jpg

Also started on the tank. Getting it all welded up is proving to be a pain, lots of blowing holes, but I'm getting the hang of filling them in with the TIG. Hope to have it ready for pressure testing in the next couple of weeks.

Thought I would try some bits today whilst I wait for my argon to get replaced on the TIG welder.

Today's challenge: monoshock

Have my eye on an RD350LC shock from Hagon and used the dimensions Hagon sent me to cut a piece of 40mm box section as an analogue for the shock:

e24bc44a.jpg

84eb5e56.jpg

The shock is a lot longer than I thought it would be at 290mm. It was a struggle to get it in the space however I have it reasonably close to where I want it. I think I can extend the swingarm down a little lower too so that it rest in the right place when the static sag comes into play.

I plan on mounting the shock up by the end of the rear spine above the carbs. It will be attached between 2 plates which will be reinforced with a tube forwards and 2 tubes back to the frame uprights

The lower mount will also be between 2 plates attached to the swingarm brace, mounting above the swingarm brace like this:

6aad0a5d.jpg

Does anyone have any inputs? Hopefully the spring is compact enough it won't foul on my seat supports that run between the rear seat frame rails. Here is how it currently sits, angle looks ok but haven't done any spring rate calculations at this stage:

c2d7cb6b.jpg

ac4bbaf0.jpg

2d4a8a3a.jpg

6c4718e8.jpg

4b7b4e53.jpg

Wider shot:

c8263cc9.jpg

I shaped a couple of 'triangular' plates to sit just above carbs, angle is roughly where you have box section but slightly lower (Maybe 1/2"~ 3/4" above carb top?)
Raise swing arm end of shock about 2", it will give a rising rate as the angles and radii move around 'over center', you can also move lower end 'backwards' closer to radius of wheel/tyre
When I saw you had posted, I though stuff had arrived but postal service couldn't possibly be that fast ;)

crazypj said:
I shaped a couple of 'triangular' plates to sit just above carbs, angle is roughly where you have box section but slightly lower (Maybe 1/2"~ 3/4" above carb top?)
Raise swing arm end of shock about 2", it will give a rising rate as the angles and radii move around 'over center', you can also move lower end 'backwards' closer to radius of wheel/tyre
When I saw you had posted, I though stuff had arrived but postal service couldn't possibly be that fast ;)

I wish the stuff had arrived PJ!!!!! Christmas in July when that stuff turns up :) Did you get the rest of the shipping ?

Rethinking the front mount, think I might copy your triangles, weld them to the spine and reinforce them with a plate across the rear frame rails too.

With raising the rear a bit, does that flatten the spring and reduce the cantilever forces as it compresses. Almost making it a progressive system?

Not sure if I can get 2" though from the brace.

Not sure I get the last bit; move lower end backwards. Can you help me understand that one?

If you put wheel in, you'll see you have some extra 'length' to play with
Cut some plates for swing arm pretty much same shape as top mounts but 'upside down' to move mounting bolt closer to tyre. (and it gives you somewhere to mount a mudguard to keep crap out of carbs)

crazypj said:
If you put wheel in, you'll see you have some extra 'length' to play with
Cut some plates for swing arm pretty much same shape as top mounts but 'upside down' to move mounting bolt closer to tyre. (and it gives you somewhere to mount a mudguard to keep crap out of carbs)

Ah got it! I don't have wheels at the moment as the old ones were trashed, so I have no idea where the tyre is supposed to finish in the swingarm. I need to get my rims sorted, pity they are $850 from F&R :(

Just try and grab an 18" wheel with tyre, doesn't matter if it's rusty or tyre is bald, you need at least 1" clearance when wheel is fully forward. An off road wheel will work and may be easier to find?

I will grab the 18" knobbie of my KTM. Tyre might be a bit fat with those knobbies but that might help with clearance.

That should work great, you can get pretty close to MX tyre and have plenty of clearance with street tyre
Have you checked Customs declaration number to find out where stuff is?

Had a cheeky look last night and I said FL USA but that was back on the 29th. Don't like to watch as it takes longer... watched pot and all that ;)

Did the rest of the postage get to you?

Yep, I'll be mailing Thursday, there's some sort of holiday going on this week ;)
You should be able to log on to U.S. Postal Service, Track Package and just enter numbers.

It should be in Oz by now. but, customs is always a hold up

How are you going about registration on this mate? Who is going to be engineering it? Pm me if you don't want
To put it in here

No idea yet Ryan. I'm a member of Sydney Cafe Racers on Facebook and they are great for local knowledge for those hidden gems.

I am a long way away at the moment but can share if I find out before you.

Father Christmas took an unscheduled trip to give me a selection of gifts, 2 boxes from crazypj and my latest classic bike mag:

32db667f.jpg

Slowly unpacked with growing excitement on the kitchen table until I had a bundle of special goodies including some truly custom parts:

dd2ca95a.jpg

Nearly all these goodies are going on my 400F, so to hopefully rub it in I thought I would go through each part:

52f837e4.jpg

* CBR F3 twin disks
* GSXR 750 triple clamps
* GSXR triple clamp stem with custom turned threads and diameter to accept standard 400F head bearings (PJ)

b346701b.jpg

* Front brake pin for my KTM
* Custom made exhaust collars (PJ), these bad boys are going to get a polish
* GSXR steering damper
* Tacho plug (PJ)
* Fuel petcock from an intruder (going to modify it for my tank)
* CBR F3 calipers
* Custom rotor spacers (PJ)
* Custom axle spacers and speedo drive block off plug to fit GSXR forks (PJ)

06ecf024.jpg

* Katana axel
* CB400F oil pump (which hasn't sucked 5kg of metal through it)
* Oil pan (without damaged oil drain bolt thread)
* Clutch cover (without a crack like my one and including a custom kickstart lever block off plug - PJ)

Needless to say the girly squeals that came out of me each time I unwrapped another part had the missus looking over with a puzzled look. VERY EXCITING stuff.

I will definitely pee myself a little when the Gixxer forks turn up in about a week too :D

DesmoBro said:
Dude awesome your bike is gonna be sick I can't wait to see the GSXR front end on there

You and me both :D

It's the most exciting part of the build for me... oh and the monoshock ;)

yea i was yawning at my build until i got the clip ons on there ....I'd just plain shit if i had that top notch Fork tho

Hi Ed, I'm really happy everything got there OK.
The steel baffle plate is back in sump?
Forks should be there soon, fitting is pretty much going to be 'plug and play' 8)
btw, the oil pump is only loosely assembled so you can get it apart easy for cleaning

Back
Top Bottom