Texas Two Step Taco

Take a look at this slow mo of an H2 chain off the line. Looks like there is a manual tensioner on top and a guide tensioner on bottom. Suggestions? https://youtu.be/boIeCx4cZjo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that only a tensioner on the bottom was needed. Guide on the top is OK, but generally the tension between the front and rear sprockets holds thing in place on that side.

Top is just the chain guard and I can't see a bottom roller, but neither are required. There is no suspension at all, so no change in tension.

teazer said:
Top is just the chain guard and I can't see a bottom roller, but neither are required. There is no suspension at all, so no change in tension.
Great! Keeps it light!
d3ed710f40685f5734e874cdd7a54d60.jpg
have to weld stops for the axel concentrics. Ride height is set
b02dc045f9caf3c2f27594660515609a.png

The roller/tensioner really has nothing to do with chain tension on a hardtail. It's to limit the amount of chain whip.

So I am obsessing... good wheelie bar design? How all the leverage is on the center of the rear axel.
4aa1086e8bf655d1a0e7b83fb89a5b01.png

9.4 lbs old swing arm
6.4 lbs old shocks

15.8 lbs

New swing arm and struts 5.5 lbs

Shed 10.3 lbs
cd3adb2bd7c7e28b3dc3eee6171b88e8.jpg
4b313ebddcd31d9f9753003b2ad57266.jpg

Can we talk moments of inertia?
06a72ae8b0e3a0c7aef3b79c920c0be2.jpg

Bultaco Flywheels

8lbs pic 1
6lbs pic 2
3.7 lbs pic 3

Which has the highest moment of inertia?

6f086588b1f0ee51372300eb91503359.jpg
84aa1e3127d3f5ff72f63cc4467dbcb8.jpg

68275ac92d0d0a389048b83d073faa79.jpg

I have been wrong before, but I think the first flywheel you have would have the highest moment of inertia. Well, respectively to the order you have the pictures I think it goes highest to lowest moment of inertia.

Didn't do the calculations, but I think the equation for it i I(inertia) = 1/2M(Mass)R^2(the square of the distance to the rotational axis).

This explains it well http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html#cmi

The highest moment of inertia is when the mass is distributed furthest from the axis. Overall diameter and overall weight isn't enough information to determine which is more between #1 and #2. Though being 2lbs heavier, I would guess #1 is most likely.

A popular test question for determining which has the higher moment of inertia:

#1 hollow cylinder
#2 Solid cylinder
#3 hollow cylinder

equal radius and equal mass.

#3 has the higher moment of inertia because the mass is furthest from the axis.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 2.16.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 2.16.52 PM.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 453
One and three are going to be proportional due to the equivalent diameter.
Number two will have a slightly lower moment to weight ratio due to the smaller diameter.

You could make one with the weight of a number three and the moment of number two if you play your cards right

irk miller said:
The highest moment of inertia is when the mass is distributed furthest from the axis. Overall diameter and overall weight isn't enough information to determine which is more between #1 and #2. Though being 2lbs heavier, I would guess #1 is most likely.
I find it interesting that all three had the same diameter initially. Also number 3 has more of a donut shape so I think that it would have reduced mass furthest away from its axis.

There is a big difference in throttle response between 1 and 2.

Texasstar said:
I find it interesting that all three had the same diameter initially. Also number 3 has more of a donut shape so I think that it would have reduced mass furthest away from its axis.

There is a big difference in throttle response between 1 and 2.
It's mass is determined by material. If they are all made from the same alloy, then it's safe to make the assumption you make on #3. Otherwise, that isn't necessarily the case. Also, #3 is most likely going to be the easiest to get into motion and to stop based on your weight reading. I would think it may be the best option for drag applications.

irk miller said:
It's mass is determined by material. If they are all made from the same alloy, then it's safe to make the assumption you make on #3. Otherwise, that isn't necessarily the case. Also, #3 is most likely going to be the easiest to get into motion and to stop based on your weight reading. I would think it may be the best option for drag applications.
I wish it would stop raining so we can test it...

Shaved 3 lbs of the rear wheel 39 lbs for the 36 lbs for the slick
3b3234e1f37369d7b794a7ad9ee07a52.png
1b2380c9df23ef2a7fd4d7bddc7ed0f1.png

Now show us the dimensions and weight of an internal rotor or small rotor from say a CR125 race bike....

36 pounds for a complete wheel and tire including tube? How much did the tire weigh?

It's ridiculous how heavy some of those old wheels are. Our RD weighed in at a hefty 14.90 Kg including a slick and tube that weighed in at 5.,63kilos. I think that was without the axle and nuts.

teazer said:
36 pounds for a complete wheel and tire including tube? How much did the tire weigh?

It's ridiculous how heavy some of those old wheels are. Our RD weighed in at a hefty 14.90 Kg including a slick and tube that weighed in at 5.,63kilos. I think that was without the axle and nuts.
Yes very ridiculous. M&H Vintage Cycle Slick 4.0/26.6-18 weighed in at a hefty 15 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom