CB750F missing wheel assembly parts - What to do?

enterlance

Hi guys, trying to convert my CB750F dohc (1980) into a cafe.
I sent the wheels to powder coating and had them to remove the bearings for me.

Now it's time to assemble the wheels and put bearings in, however, after examine my parts carefully, I found that I am missing some parts:
44620-410-000 x1
42620-422-010 x1
42311-422-000 x1

After briefly searching on websites including ebay, still can't find anywhere that still sells them. When should I do? Are they missing in the first place? Is it safe to ride without them?

Please help!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/honda-cb750k-cb750-rear-back-wheel-axle-bolt-spacers-adjusters-79-1980-81-82/372330566630?hash=item56b0a193e6:g:cFsAAOSw7kVbHJuA:rk:8:pf:0

You mean this stuff? Not all of your numbers match up to the parts finder.

For the spacer I'm not t that worried... just 42620-422-010 this piece. It looks like an important part.

Attachments

• collaraxle-dist_big42620422010-01_bb0b.jpg
    collaraxle-dist_big42620422010-01_bb0b.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 185
enterlance said:
For the spacer I'm not t that worried... just 42620-422-010 this piece. It looks like an important part.
That holds your bearings in place. It should be inside your hub. Are you sure it's not in there? Did the powder coater accidentally keep it?

I don't recall that came out when I removed the rear hub. I might need to ask the powder coating guy. I didn't disassemble the rear hub yet. I will try to see if it's inside there tomorrow.

Needs to be in there otherwise the bearings will take a beating and when you axle is torqued down, probably won't be able to spin the wheel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

Ok so I'm pretty sure that part is missing. Probably the guy who take the bearing out discarded it? I don't know.
I called them to see if any luck. I don't know what to do now..

enterlance said:
Ok so I'm pretty sure that part is missing. Probably the guy who take the bearing out discarded it? I don't know.
I called them to see if any luck. I don't know what to do now..
Worst case scenario, you buy a hub from Ebay and pull it out of that one. Check the axle dimension on the spoked K's or any other Honda of the era. They all came with one in the hub.

enterlance said:
That's what I'm planning to do. I hate myself now.
Don't hate yourself. If you sent a wheel with bearings to the powdercoater and they took the bearings out, they are likely the ones who lost it. Unless it was already missing, which as Clem pointed out, you would already know.

I don't think that's the case - when I got it running, I rode it around and even made my trip to DMV. Then after that I started to converting it.

Ah, should've double checked the parts before sending it to powder coating!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-81-82-CB750C-CB-750-CUSTOM-COMSTAR-REAR-MAG-WHEEL-RIM-2-50X16-OEM/233098903549?fits=Model%3ACB750C&hash=item3645c6fffd:g:buIAAOSwV7BcQQlT:rk:22:pf:0

so if i buy a comstar wheel like this, the collar is likely be inside there right? (I looked up parts number, and it looks like it's a universal part that used in DOHC CB750's)

You might want to do a rundown of all the 20mm axle bikes in this list and cross-reference your part. Maybe you can find a $5 - $10 hub or even your missing part.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20952.0

A little update: I found a local shop that specialize in old Honda's, and send the wheels to them. They said they might have that collar and if not, they can fabricate one.

If you have a caliper, hack saw, machinists square, and a big file you can make one with a little patience.
Buy a steel tube that will be close to matching the outer dimension of your axle. Measure the distance between the bearing race seats using your caliper. cut the tube as close as you can. use the file and machinst square to slowly get it square on the ends and the correct length. Take a plastic lid of some sort, cut a hole in it and cut a concentric circle around that to the same inner dimension of the hub. that parts slide on the spacer so it doesnt fall down when you assemble the wheel. Done.

I did it when i was visiting a friend out of state and we had no proper tools. His chopper had a death wobble that he asked me to look at and this was part of the problem. Took me about 30 minutes of filing.

Back
Top Bottom