1980 CB750 "Destined to Fail"

CBrat750

Well i figured im half way through my build so why not make a build thread from the middle.

To start off i picked up a 80 Honda cb750C off the local CL for 600 bucks. The guy i got it from wanted to make a Cafe bike but had no clue what he was doing...typical Harley guy ::). It looked like the whole bike was painted black with a pant brush and most of it was cracked or flaked off. But that was just the beginning of the mess this bike had going wrong with it. So i get the bike home and the guy said "he thinks he fried a coil and the carbs all leak so they will need gaskets."

Ok ill start with the carbs that leak..I turn the fuel on and they are just leaking out of the drains. Hm ill start at the easiest point. Hey check that out all the drain screws are open, Quick twist of the wrist and no more leaking carbs.

Next off to the fried coil. Well i guess that the PO did a tune up and just put the plug wires on wrong. Because both coils fire fine. Also big thanks to who ever it was that posted the DOHC manuals. I found the correct firing order and she runs smooth as silk.

Finally the Phantom Charging headache. Well if anyone saw my post in the electrical section you would know that it resulted in me replacing just shy of every piece of electrical crap on this bike TWICE but its finally charging.

Well now that everyone was caught up time for some pictures of where the bike is at. Sorry never really got any pictures of when i first got the bike but here is middle process.

So like i said about the paint job..here is the tank.

And after a few hrs of sanding i decided screw it im just leaving this thing ratty it fits the rest of the bike. So a few coats of clear later the tank is done.

And well here is the bike is all her shit box glory.

To add to the miss matched mess of this bike done by the PO:

1)Totally awesome bobed placard front fender (cut in half and bolted back together withe the rust spots sanded down and cleared)

2)Lowering headlight bracket on the wrong way so the headlight isnt any lower the stock.

3)Mini turn signals (that didn't work)

4)A brand new seat covered!

5)Rear fender from a Harley Sportster (it was sitting on the swing arm so that got cut right away)

6)4-1 MAC? Exhaust with removable baffle (was chrome/rust now hightemp black)

7)Progressive rear shocks (brand new!...and on the softest setting its like a hard tail lol)

8)Lowered superbike bars

9) And a bobber tail light and license plate bracket.

Stay tuned in i just picked up a set of side covers that i ill have to make work since they are from a K and the C tank is a bit different.

Back
Top Bottom