330mm discs [rotors] with 80mm PCD [honda CB hub]

focusinprogress said:
I think the whole issue is he's already working with custom triples he had made up for a pretty penny if I'm not mistaken....

everywhere I've been able to read says the 929 was 53mm lower and then when they switched to the 954 they became 54mm.....but I've also never had a set in front of me to measure....
Yep, correct - the triples are made. I chose 207 centres and worked on that, thinking it would be ok - I bought USD forks with radial caliper mounts, which i knew would be close to the spokes, but thought it might just be enough - it ended up being 2mm clearance from radial caliper to spoke. I'm not that comfortable with 2mm, so looking at my options.

I have been informed that the 929 forks are 50/53 which is good for my triples. But looking at the 929 calipers [which i assume are axial mounted], they don't look any narrower than my current R1 radial calipers?

Does anyone know if the 929 calipers will give slightly more clearance?

Thanks!

It may be possible to machine a clearance angle on the calipers to get another 2mm?I though you had interference at present but if you have any clearance angle milling caliper is an option. It there is a 'corner' it will be thicker than the main part of caliper body

crazypj said:
It may be possible to machine a clearance angle on the calipers to get another 2mm?I though you had interference at present but if you have any clearance angle milling caliper is an option. It there is a 'corner' it will be thicker than the main part of caliper body
Yeah, i have milled an angled face off the corner of the caliper [to match the spoke angle] - thats what gave me 2-2.5mm in total. I was hoping for 3-4mm but it didn't work out as planned, sadly.

Thanks!

You need to run it with the clearance you have and see if any witness marks develop on spokes or caliper. Wheel will flex slightly ijn usebut it shouldn't be enough for anything to catch and stop it turning as it will probably move less than 0.020"~0.50mm. Forks twisting would be more of an issue but USD are pretty rigid

2mm might be OK...

the bonus with the axial calipers is you can get high tolerance shim washers if necessary and add 2mm of clearance by putting washers between the mount and the caliper, catch is you'd have to also resolve that change in the rotor mounting, so may also need rotor spacers to line those back up too. Then again, if you're all laced up and rotors mounted....changing forks and calipers might make the rotors not line up with the new stuff anyway....

Personally, I couldn't tell if brakes were radial or 'conventional' when riding various bikes 'back to back'

focusinprogress said:
2mm might be OK...

the bonus with the axial calipers is you can get high tolerance shim washers if necessary and add 2mm of clearance by putting washers between the mount and the caliper, catch is you'd have to also resolve that change in the rotor mounting, so may also need rotor spacers to line those back up too. Then again, if you're all laced up and rotors mounted....changing forks and calipers might make the rotors not line up with the new stuff anyway....

rotor spacers are not made yet - so there is scope to change that to increase distance as you describe above.

So, I could get a GSXR600 K3 stem and lower clamp - this would give me the 54mm lower clamp size, whilst maintaining the 207 centres that I already have in top clamp.
Then I can get the forks for the same GSXR which have sliding calipers, and a 320mm rotor size.
This might be the best alternative to riding with 2mm clearance!

But my question is: is the stem length the same on the GSXR600 K3 [proposed] to the GSXR 600 K7 [existing]?
I've trawled the usual forums and tables - but can't find this info...

Edit: scrap that idea - the offset is 2mm different. Bugger.

I'm pretty certain I have a K3 stem pressed out (modiying it for CB360) Can't remember if I've cut it down yet though. Won't be able to check until tomorrow

crazypj said:
I'm pretty certain I have a K3 stem pressed out (modiying it for CB360) Can't remember if I've cut it down yet though. Won't be able to check until tomorrow

Sorry, the best lower clamp for me is going to be GSXR600/750 K4/K5 not the K3. I mis-read the table after a large glass of red...

This lower clamp will match the offset 207/30 of my own upper clamp, then I have more 50/54 fork options with sliding calipers. So the main question is does the K4/K5 stem length match my K6/K7 stem?

Although the engines get a relatively major re-design every two years , the dimensions of frames don't change as much even when they look quite different. Suzuki is quite famous for 'BNG' (Bold New Graphics ;D ) The 600/750 and 1000/1100's get alternate year development. Problem is, I can't remember which years got major work. I used to know as I was teaching it at MMI but haven't been there for 6 yrs, if your not using information you just forget it.
The stems press out easy enough so are easy to modify or make a new one (either 6061 or 7075 which is harder)

Right, so I am going for another lower triple tree & stem to give me 54mm lower clamp size, and match my top clamp dimensions.
Will get some alternative USD forks to allow for axial calipers.
Will get a pair of sliding calipers, probably from an sv650/bandit - to give the most clearance to spokes.

My questions are:
1. Are there any GSXR USD forks with axial caliper mounts, that fit the SV650/bandit [tokico] sliding calipers and are compatible with my 320 discs?

2. Having a look at Sam's Fork Chart - it seems that the GSXR 600/750 K0-K3 has caliper bolt centres of 62mm - is this the same as the SV650/bandit?

Cheers!

If this the Tokico you're referring to:

Suzuki-Sv650-Stainless-Steel-Front-Brake-Pins-For-_1.jpg

The screws are 56mm on center.

irk miller said:
If this the Tokico you're referring to:

Suzuki-Sv650-Stainless-Steel-Front-Brake-Pins-For-_1.jpg

The screws are 56mm on center.
Yep, so I would need to make/buy an adaptor plate of some sort I guess... Also, is this compatible with my 320 discs? I think the SV disc size is around 240 - but in my mind, this caliper is independent of disc diameter?

They're my go-to for adapting front ends. This is for the TL1000r front end on my R100/7:

d5e3fbe65476f622de7e3d83bb99dbb8.jpg

2bcf457b5b2f715231c54d043f81f3b1.jpg

As far as disc size, you're bracket will just get made to adapt the caliper location to the disc radius.

Thanks!!

Although it looks like the thickness of the mounting plate adapter will cancel out some of the space gains from this sliding caliper... looks do-able though. I guess I could position the mounting plate on the inside face of the caliper mounts...

Back
Top Bottom