CB 550 Winter Cafe Project-"Liz"

mach

I picked up this 1976 CB550 a few weeks ago. The guy had started a few things on it and lost interest in the project. It needs a lot of work but that's what I was looking for.

Attachments

• origbike.jpg
    origbike.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 251
Re: CB 550 Winter Project

Here's the frame after I detabbed and stripped it. almost ready to prime.

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 264

I'm waiting to get the seat I ordered, should be in any day. I'll see how it fits and then decide if and how to hoop the back end.

I think it's a Mac 4 into 1. It is brand new and came with the bike. I'm actually thinking about selling it and switching to a Yoshimura type exhaust.

I thought MAC's looked different than that but I'm not sure. I might be interested in that exhaust if you decide to sell it. PM me if you do!

Re: CB 550 Winter Cafe Project-Tank Work

Here's my practice tank that I have been working on. I have another tank that started in better shape that I will probably modify and put on the bike. This pic the hammering is done.

Attachments

• Tank 1.jpg
    Tank 1.jpg
    611.6 KB · Views: 246

Tank from the top, I like the curves

Attachments

• Tank 2.jpg
    Tank 2.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 248

Cap off, cleaned up and ready to prime.

Attachments

• Tank 3.jpg
    Tank 3.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 262

Here's the tank after some body putty work. I think it is about ready for a finish layer or two of finishing glaze. I also found out it is a hell of a lot easier to sand short strand glass filler if you don't let it harden over night.

Attachments

• IMAG0358.jpg
    IMAG0358.jpg
    743 KB · Views: 252

I was thinking this was going to be a 'practice tank', but with as much work as it is and it's turning out decent, I may just use this one on the bike. Does anyone pressure test their tanks after hammering them to see if any real damage was done?

Attachments

• IMAG0359.jpg
    IMAG0359.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 255

The tank is almost done, had to smooth out a few lumpy spots that showed up after priming. Got the seat in, now it time to cut up the back and fit the seat. I may end up making more of a squared off back end rather than hooping it since the underside of my seat is square.

Attachments

• IMAG0369.jpg
    IMAG0369.jpg
    800.2 KB · Views: 260

Another pic of tank and seat

Attachments

• IMAG0370.jpg
    IMAG0370.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 256

The forks that were on the bike were badly rusted and pitted in the travel area of the forks. I picked up a front end from a vf-500f interceptor. It looks like the triple tree will fit, just have to swap the cone from the original. If that doesn't work I can always try allballs. I'm also going to rig up dual disc brakes using the interceptor brake system and the cb spoked wheel.

Attachments

• IMAG0365.jpg
    IMAG0365.jpg
    955 KB · Views: 252
Re: CB 550 Winter Cafe Project-Need a name

Front wheel and axle fit right in. I have 2 original brake rotors. The speedo gearcase housing will need a little modification and the hub will need longer bolts, may just cut some rod and thread the very end to match the way the stock bolts are. The biggest issue will be the rotors. I will have to have them machined down from 270mm to 255 mm and turned down from 7 to 5mm thick.

Attachments

• IMAG0366.jpg
    IMAG0366.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 254

Last week I also picked up a pair of Koni shocks and ordered a big bore kit from Dynoman. Next I'll be doing engine work.

Shocks need a little TLC and probably will be rebuilt. I'll have to disassemble them and see if they need anything. Right now they feel different, like one has too much oil in it. Springs have already been pulled, stripped and repainted.

Attachments

• IMAG0360.jpg
    IMAG0360.jpg
    871.5 KB · Views: 249

Nice score on the front end. Look forward to seeing it come together. What is the length of that front end compared to the original?

canyoncarver said:
Nice score on the front end. Look forward to seeing it come together. What is the length of that front end compared to the original?

It's longer than the original but it has clip on bars. I'll measure it and compare it to the stock cb550 front end tonight. From my first look at it I thought I may have to have less than an inch of the forks sticking up above the clip ons. I can live with that without cutting down the forks.

canyoncarver said:

It looks like it is going to be about 3/4" long.

Back
Top Bottom