A.R.C. Ignition System

Probably wont damage coils, but could damage the ARC unit possibly.

The real bummer is that the ARC unit is a bit of an oddball and documentation is currently missing.

The stock ignition system was likely wired so that the key and kill switches (when both in the correct position) provide constant power to the coils, and the coils are grounded through the points plate and condenser. While this system works (it was the standard system for about 50 years after all), it has to be maintained.

Since the points are closing a live circuit, there is some arcing or sparking right before the points make contact. Over time this arcing actually depletes and removes metal from the points, leaving them pitted and corroded. The job of the condenser (a capacitor) is to reduce the arcing/sparking. Your ARC box is designed to reduce the arcing even more.

Less arcing means more reliable ignition.

Modern bikes use a purely electronic ignition with magnetic sensors instead of points.

Worst case scenario, you yank the entire ignition and replace with a Dyna unit for about $200 and never worry about your ignition again.

I did this to one of my bikes 12 year ago, (daily rider) and literally have never touched the ignition since. It's not cheap, but in some ways it is worth it.

Cheers!

Bozz said:
Probably wont damage coils, but could damage the ARC unit possibly.

The real bummer is that the ARC unit is a bit of an oddball and documentation is currently missing.

The stock ignition system was likely wired so that the key and kill switches (when both in the correct position) provide constant power to the coils, and the coils are grounded through the points plate and condenser. While this system works (it was the standard system for about 50 years after all), it has to be maintained.

Since the points are closing a live circuit, there is some arcing or sparking right before the points make contact. Over time this arcing actually depletes and removes metal from the points, leaving them pitted and corroded. The job of the condenser (a capacitor) is to reduce the arcing/sparking. Your ARC box is designed to reduce the arcing even more.

Less arcing means more reliable ignition.

Modern bikes use a purely electronic ignition with magnetic sensors instead of points.

Worst case scenario, you yank the entire ignition and replace with a Dyna unit for about $200 and never worry about your ignition again.

I did this to one of my bikes 12 year ago, (daily rider) and literally have never touched the ignition since. It's not cheap, but in some ways it is worth it.

Cheers!

$200 to set it and forget it is money well spent in my book. I wish Dyna still made the CB350T Ignition.

Wish i even had $200 to spend.... spent all my money buying the bike and a little more to pick up some things I knew I would need... wires, connectors, multimeter, oil, oil filter, plugs, paint, bondo, wet/dry sand paper, etc.. I also have a few other items that I need to address, such as the tachometer not functioning right, clutch a little tight (even after lithium grease down the line), throttle not snapping back the way i would like.... and i am sure that list will grow.

If i can get the ignition working right, i can move on to the next project!

thanks for the input, and i will let you know how the start up test works tonight.

Laughter13 said:
forgot about this photo i posted in another topic....

Looks like:

Green --> Coils
Red --> Main Switch
Black --> Ground

I will try this after work tonight.... if anyone disagrees with this, please let me know!

THANKS!!!

Got her running.... its a little cold here still, so it took a minute, but she is running. This last post was the correct configuration. I am going to keep the ARC module for now since it sounds like it helps give a cleaner spark. Thanks for all your help guys!

Back
Top Bottom