1982 CB750F Super Sport - (no longer a Brat Project)

Re: 1982 CB750F Super Sport - Brat Project

armourbl said:
Thanks, I may just do that in the end. For now, I'm just going through the bike and make sure it is mechanically sound, cleaning things up, minor improvements, correcting issues, but not major changes. The original condition is growing on me.

I may have to look for another bike to work on as the brat project. I'm in no hurry for the moment. For now I can enjoy the bike as is, and it is giving plenty of enjoyment just working on it as is.

ben

No doubt, working on bikes can be like therapy for many of us here.

miffa said:
im with you armour, cut the fuck out of it....

all i seem to read on here of late is don't do this,don't do that WTF ...that's the voice of rivet counting purists, your bike, your build, your choice
You don't read much, especially the part where the PO said he will probably enjoy this bike in its current condition. Most of us are all for cutting up bikes. I know every guy that warned against it in this thread has long histories of customizing. No one is against it, except on certain bikes. The value of a bike should at least be considered when determining whether or not you want to customize something. I have a long history with Mopars. The same conversations occur in those groups. My Roadrunner customized is worth about $15k. Fully restored, it could fetch $35k or more. I'd be an idiot to just ignore those numbers, even if that car ends up getting the treatment.

Well, I guess DOHC is going to get to say "he told me so." Well, sort of...

First a couple of new details. I was able to determine that I do in fact have the 900 cams in the bike. I also was able to confirm that the exhaust cam timing marks were off by at least one tooth.

Now, here is where things take an ugly turn. While removing the cams to correct the timing issue, 4 of the 24 cam cap bolts sheared off. Yep, that really sick feeling in my stomach. Looks like whoever worked on this bike last not only put it back together wrong, but they also over torqued the bolts.

I may have to remove the engine in order to get this corrected, since at least one of the bolts is on the intake side directly the below the frame, which makes it impossible to get a straight shot at it with an extractor.

I'm going to try and see if the sheared bolts will turn freely first, maybe with some needle-nose pliers, a scribe, or a punch. I didn't think to try this last night since I was already processing the idea of needing to remove the engine.

Now, in my own defense, this was no fault of my own. The timing issue needed to be resolved, and the fact that the bolts sheared was not my doing. But, it does serve to prove that once you get into one of these, new gremlins will surface. I personally am glad I found the timing issue as I'd rather not run the motor like that. If ultimately I have to remove the engine, then so be it. I was going to eventually do it anyways in order to paint the engine and possibly the frame.

ben

Post a picture of that worst bolt. Is there room to weld a nut onto what is sticking out. This usually works very well as the heat from welding breaks the bond between the aluminum and steel. Whatever you do you will want to heat up the aluminum around the bolts.

There was no timing issue to correct.

My favorite part is where you blame the last guy for your lack of mechanical aptitude.

"This was through no fault of my own" says the guy who had a good running bike but now has a pile of parts.

Get the studs out, Get some new bolts, put the caps back on, pre lube it, and put it all back together. You don't have the knowledge or skills needed to do engine work.

Shit. Almost forgot.

Told ya so.

Is this the part where we say fuck it, and chop it up into a brat?

I hope that motor gets sorted.

DohcBikes said:
Shit. Almost forgot.

Told ya so.

How do you think acting like a dick will be of any service to anyone? Tone the attitude down a bit, we all get it.....you know everything

Its like being at the movies with someone who has seen it before and keeps telling you about it instead of shutting up and letting us watch

Armour, shit happens and its all repairable.......trial and error is how we learn

Truth. I break shit every day.

First of all, you don't know me. Coming here and asking questions doesn't make me stupid or mean I have a lack of experience. I am only new to this bike and engine. Not fresh off the boat with motorcycles or working on them.

There was a timing issue. Here is a pic to prove it. Timing marks on the intake are lined up with the head. Timing marks on the exhaust cam gear, pictured, are not.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2DCeFVNPpHNQ2NmNlBWVEN2Nlk/view

I don't have a pile of parts. The bike just needs a little work. Nothing that can't be repaired or overcome.

Maybe you lack experience and knowledge. I mean, to suggest to leave a bike alone that has issues that should be and can be easily resolved, that is just asking for trouble. A ticking time bomb that will result in much more catastrophic failure later on down the road. Do you have anything positive to contribute?

ben

Powderfinger said:
Post a picture of that worst bolt. Is there room to weld a nut onto what is sticking out. This usually works very well as the heat from welding breaks the bond between the aluminum and steel. Whatever you do you will want to heat up the aluminum around the bolts.

This is on the left side of the intake cam gear on the H cap. This is literally the worst one this could happen to. The frame is right in the way of a straight shot at being able to drill it and maybe use a reverse thread bit to get it out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2DCeFVNPpHNdVJSV1FZb0xaTm8/view?usp=docslist_api

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2DCeFVNPpHNOGRjbHRDd1ZxVU0/view?usp=docslist_api

ben

Kamn said:
How do you think acting like a dick will be of any service to anyone? Tone the attitude down a bit, we all get it.....you know everything

Its like being at the movies with someone who has seen it before and keeps telling you about it instead of shutting up and letting us watch
He pretty much asked for it.

I tried doing him a service long ago. Several times.

I'm certainly not obligated to offer my advice. And you certainly are not obligated to read my posts at all.

Will an angled drill fit in the space you have??

Kamn said:
Will an angled drill fit in the space you have??

I'll have to measure the space. It is tight for sure. Couldn't get a straight set of needle-nose pliers in there. Will try tonight with an angled set that I borrowed.

I don't own an angled drill. May need to buy or borrow one. Maybe a compact compressed air unit would do the trick.

But the diameter on these bolts is pretty small. Drilling them will be tricky. I'd probably just remove the engine and take it to a machine shop if it comes to that to avoid making a major mistake.

ben

Why not unbolt the engine mounts and shift it a bit so you can get to it, but not fully remove the engine?

Not stock cams [hint] Motion Pro will sell you a degree wheel also, you need to supply the chunk of wire, I use a hanger or the fancy one I made from a chunk of Ti filler rod.

Little cast/drill dots don't have meaning until you verify they are correct when parts are changed with non stock items, that 2 tooth "off" mark may be the sweet spot for that cam... Is it in an advanced position?

DOHC has Turrets so don't let it get to you.

Attachments

• rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-face-laughing-hard-smiley-emoticon.gif
    rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-face-laughing-hard-smiley-emoticon.gif
    101.6 KB · Views: 917

whys everybody always pickin' on me

Attachments

• the struggle.jpg
    the struggle.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 274

Tune-A-Fish said:
Not stock cams [hint] Motion Pro will sell you a degree wheel also, you need to supply the chunk of wire, I use a hanger or the fancy one I made from a chunk of Ti filler rod.

Little cast/drill dots don't have meaning until you verify they are correct when parts are changed with non stock items, that 2 tooth "off" mark may be the sweet spot for that cam... Is it in an advanced position?

DOHC has Turrets so don't let it get to you.

Good point. I will check the cam sprocket when I get home tonight. I just read that if the inside diameter is 34mm then it is the same as the 900.

ben

You were told that your cams were not stock multiple times by people with experience and that this engine will not run as you described even being one tooth off, before you started breaking bolts off in the head.

I don't know why anyone is defending you or your choice to ignore the information that was provided to you in black and white. Nothing was stated that was of a personal nature, just a factual observation of aptitude and a commensurate suggestion. But alas, it isn't black and white for most people these days.

Maybe if I had copy and pasted a five page technical report explaining how to copy and paste second hand info you would have paid more attention.

DohcBikes said:
You were told that your cams were not stock multiple times by people with experience and that this engine will not run as you described even being one tooth off, before you started braking bolts off in the head.

I don't know why anyone is defending you or your choice to ignore the information that was provided to you in black and white. Nothing was stated that was of a personal nature, just a factual observation of aptitude and a commensurate suggestion. But alas, it isn't black and white for most people these days.

Maybe if I had copy and pasted a five page technical report explaining how to copy and paste second hand info you would have paid more attention.

Please, you aren't helping. The only knowledge or advice you've shared is to leave it all alone.

I'm getting info from very reliable sources outside of this forum. 900 cams drop right in, and in some cases even without resetting the valve clearances. And a motor will run with the exhaust timing off by a tooth or two, but just not as good as it will when set properly.

You are so hung up on "me" breaking bolts. The bolts were going to break period, if not now, then later. Nothing "I did" caused them to break. No excessive force was applied. They broke with less pressure than it took to remove the others that didn't break. They were over torqued, by a lot.

If you want to ride your bikes as is, and never open them up, or work on them, and accept whatever fate comes then more power to you.

I may be going through a bit of agony to get this straightened out, but I'm learning and gaining more experience, and I'll at least know it is put back together correct when I'm done instead of wondering and hoping for the best as you suggest.

ben

Back
Top Bottom