1972 Norton Combat Commando 750 trade-up & refurb for eventual sale

Left z-plate arrived yesterday evening, I installed it along with all the spacers & hardware. Dug thru the bins and came up with all the bits to abut & actuate the cable pull, setup the brake pedal, and it's all done.

412713098.jpg

Recived the seat yesterday, and the pipes this morning. Installed those, the rear hub cush rubbers, and a pair of almost new replica Dunstall Decibel mufflers. Now waiting on the timing cover, OPRV & points cover in order to finally start up the bike...

412713099.jpg

Got in the timing cover & points cover this afternoon. Can you spot the missing part? Bike can't be started till it gets here.

412713772.jpg

I need a spacer to hold the small battery in place, or a different strap arrangement...

412713774.jpg

Pretty decent looking classic 70s British Iron.

412713771.jpg

I guess I'll hunt down at least the left sidecover, it looks cruddy without it.

412713773.jpg

Installed the OPRV, filled the oil tank, primed the rockerboxes with oil, kicked it a few dozen times, then got it all set for startup. Flushed the tank and added 2 gallons of mid-grade, replaced the temporary fuel lines with new hoses & clamps, then checked the carbs - no leaks. Kicked it 3 times and it fired, gave it a few more tries then decided to re-check the AAU & points settings. Sure enough, the advancer needed to be rotated just a tad. Started on the first kick after that!

412720516.jpg

Nice oil return after about 20 - 30 seconds at low idle.

412720517.jpg

Nice steady tickover. No smoke from exhaust, no issues.

412720518.jpg

NOW it rains. Test ride will have to wait...

412720519.jpg

grandpaul said:
Installed the OPRV, filled the oil tank, primed the rockerboxes with oil, kicked it a few dozen times, then got it all set for startup. Flushed the tank and added 2 gallons of mid-grade, replaced the temporary fuel lines with new hoses & clamps, then checked the carbs - no leaks. Kicked it 3 times and it fired, gave it a few more tries then decided to re-check the AAU & points settings. Sure enough, the advancer needed to be rotated just a tad. Started on the first kick after that!

412720516.jpg

Nice oil return after about 20 - 30 seconds at low idle.

412720517.jpg

Nice steady tickover. No smoke from exhaust, no issues.

412720518.jpg

NOW it rains. Test ride will have to wait...

412720519.jpg
What can't ride in the rain? ;D

I rode it after the rain, a little bit.

No plate, so I've got to be extra careful.

Back
Top Bottom