1988 Ducati 900 Super Sport Cafe Racer

Was looking at a Paul Smart Ducati the other day, and the frame color inspired me, so did a quick mockup of the 900ss with a deep metallic blue frame...

Ducati_900_ss_E01.jpg

Kinda liking it...

tumblr_ljbit4StaS1qz56mjo1_500.jpg

Dale said:
Was looking at a Paul Smart Ducati the other day, and the frame color inspired me, so did a quick mockup of the 900ss with a deep metallic blue frame...

Ducati_900_ss_E01.jpg

Kinda liking it...

Sweet, I'm Digging it big time !

In my humble opinion I'd have to go with the red on black theme. Duc's have always seemed to be designed to stand out. In a sea of sameness it's Good to be different. Everything from the tubing to the exhaust note are like no other. But what do I know, I have a katana Lol. Love the direction though! Keep it up. ;D

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks! They generally get a bad rap in the sportbike community but I loved it from the first time my rear hit the seat. Going on my third rebuild of her!

Re: Re: 1988 Ducati 900 Super Sport Cafe Racer

Dale said:
Do you have a build thread here?

Not yet but as soon as I get some things squared away I'm going to start one. Don't let me hijack your thread man. Any progress lately?

Love this bike and love this project. I'll be watching for sure. I would def make the frame a stand out piece. These Ducati frames are a work of art. Your pshop images look great. I've been wanting to do something like this too ever since seeing what Radical Ducati does to these bikes.

my vote is the blue frame with the white tank and seat. You could also do a gold frame with black tank and seat.

Hoosier Daddy said:
Where in the HELL did THIS come from?

Uh, yeah, I dont know. No updates until other projects are done! :) Im playing hardball here people. That V50 has to run before I even touch this jacalope again.

Hello Dale
I just discovered your post and I hope your 900SS project is coming along. It looks great! I'm building a 1989 900SS as a race bike for a Pre-90 historic class in Australia. At this stage it's fairly stock, but with race seat and fairings, slicks, 39mm Keihin carbs and a White Power rear shock.
I tried to fit Showa USD forks but the length is all wrong for the '89 frame and they are about 60mm shorter than the Marzocchis. The 91 model came out with the USD forks and a complete new frame.
If you (or anyone else) have any tips about getting the best out of old belt drive SS900s, I am seeking all the help I can get.

Dale, I finished my Duc SS project a couple of months ago........ here are a few pics if you missed it.

Attachments

• Photo09161542.jpg
    Photo09161542.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 248
  • Photo09161542_1.jpg
    Photo09161542_1.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 267
  • Photo09161543.jpg
    Photo09161543.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 280
  • Photo09161543_1.jpg
    Photo09161543_1.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 234
Wowzers! Beautiful! Very dramatic, and appropriate paint scheme. I did miss it, will look it up....

Hey Dale, Just found this...wondered where you went from the V50. That bodywork just begs to be tossed. Ugh, what were they thinking! The photoshops look awesome. as long as you have it apart...the 944or larger kits really wake this motor up. I've got a 990 kit, open airbox/K&N, and Keihin FCR41's, Staintune header/Ferracci carbons and a ton of other stuff. Power lifts in third!

Dale,
Just joined in here, while searching for Ducati Sports. There is page for 750/900 Sports from 1989-91, on Ducatipaso.org. A few of us there are building some naked Sports that have some similarities to yours. Love to hear of your progress. Its such a rare model in the middle of the varied history of Ducati, but in the right hands, its a wonderful bike.

Cheers, Phil

Back
Top Bottom