Honda NX650 Dominator tracker

Hi y'all.

Since reg/rec was dead but the mounting was already done, had to change it a bit because the new one is bigger than original. Fixed the leak of the starter cover.

Spent 2 days on finding a fault in wiring, low-high beams were very dark and came on slow (they were OK at first). Tried extra neg from the frame too at first, nothing. So i started to rip the wiring apart. In the end i didnt have any ideas left, started from zero. Where does the the neg in the wires come from? From coil. Connected extra neg to that and boom, we have lights. So neg didnt reach from engine to the frame due to paint, thus to coil and wiring 8) Its hard to be an idiot. Had to do the wiring again because of that. But now the starter seems to have a sex drive and energy of a 16 year old. Due to low neg it was very slow before.

Also the clutch was stuck since it had been sleeping for 1,5 years. Guys pushed me going and a little driving around fixed the issue. I have to say, its a REALLY fun bike. Very light (not compared to mx bikes ofcourse), i can lift the ass on this thing with no trouble at all. And thumper sound beats the rest :p

Anyway, here are some potato pics.

DSC_0492.jpg

DSC_0491.jpg

DSC_0494.jpg

Re: Honda NX650 Dominator tracker - DONE!

Top work looks fun, I think I need to get one of these for my daily hack. pj

Really like what you did with build, good work ;D

Only a small taste thing, but i think that front fender would look better slid down the forks more, but its your bike and i really like it

Thanks both :) I can experiment with the fender next year if i feel the urge, its a nobrainer to fit it lower using Dommies original fender holder or by doing simple mods to it.

This thing can really move (up until 100kph of course) with its relatively low power, at least it feels to me ;D . Mods are wider exhaust manifolds and the Leo Vince, Pipercross filter and a bit bigger rear sprocket. Also less weight compared to original. Ive been checking the spark plug for the last couple of days every now and then and seems the mixture is fine, def not too rich, but seems to me not too lean either. Read as many different board topics in the web about modifying Dommies and some of them installed (much) bigger jets too, others didnt have the need. Ill keep checking but probably there are no carb mods needed, maybe just a very marginal jet upgrade to be sure. I think switching to much bigger jets is a mind thing for some dudes, pointless at the same time.

Did you keep the original carb or did you upgrade it?

The bike looks amazing! Wish mine would be finished already, but I backtracked a bit since I wasn't totally happy with the tank. Luckily my friend has various old tanks in his garage so I can try them out and see if I can find one thats pleasing to the eyes.

Its the original carb, works fine. Its sure is good to have many tanks to try on, only restriction is the quite wide oil tank of the Dommie so the gap between the tank sides must be wide enough :)

Weighed it. Original weight with oil and fuel should be approx 180 kg (dry 160+). Now it's about 140 kg wet, with 3/4 tank. Not bad 8)

Also, it died on me. No power left in the batt. Ill start diagnosing. Wonder if it's the reg/rec again or simple wire trouble. Stator was fine last time i checked.

RATS! Reg/rec again. Not very disappointed though, it was a cheap "premium" kind chinese replacement, originally made for 500ccm atv. People here say that they dont last but i bought the biggest replacement one available, no brand parts here on spot, you can only order. I just needed something quickly for Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride. But still, one tank total? Rubbish.

Stator ok, wires ok, ordered a Shindengen reg from ebay Germany.

With better pics i would nominate for bike of the month

Thanks ;D New reg/rec should arrive in a few days and i was planning to have a little pic session anyway.

New Shindengen reg/rec installed, works like a charm. Here are some better pics:

PA213787.jpg

PA213789.jpg

PA213791.jpg

PA213793.jpg

PA213794.jpg

PA213797.jpg

PA213799.jpg

PA213801.jpg

PA213805.jpg

PA213813.jpg

PA213817.jpg

PA213825.jpg

Well done tort. Love the color, I didn't realize it was a beigey brownish color until the last set of pics. The sun really brings it out. Nice job on the exhaust also!

Good luck!

Edit: Rear drum brake but no kickstarter? Rats! Battery issue still remains i guess.

Yeah, i just edited my post. I thought rear drum brake means kick starter on early versions. Well then, you have to spend more on the battery just like i did if you want it small and hidden. But you can go more retro too, installing big racing number plates on the sides to hide the original battery.

Edit: yours must be '89. In '88 they had kickstarter, in '89 only electric. Mine's 90 and came with rear disc.

Here's a sound example right after startup with engine not yet warmed up (thus the backfire etc): https://vid.me/3Oc

Sorry about the shaky hand, hard to rev it at the same time. You need good earphones or speakers to get a whiff but its defo better in real life.

Back
Top Bottom