Build opinions requested, but not necessarily accepted

Old plunger type rear in an old BMW.

How about a sidehack dirt ripper?

Attachments

• oldbmw.jpg
    oldbmw.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 175
Beeweldmut said:
Billy lanes dumb ass found a way to make an awkward motor look good in a board tracker. But he might have gone a little overboard on that tank logo. And I'll admit this is too low to ride.
Another reason I question that style of bike. If you want to go with the exhaust configuration you mentioned, the board tracker will always be too low. You'd have to alter the exhaust plan. I'd design around the engine. The BMW and H-D I mentioned both run big lump engines and a similar exhaust. I understand your size preference for a bike, just suggesting a frame of reference to draw the design. And Canyoncarver just pointed to a smaller version of the R12.

I had already thought of that Bmw's rear shock/axle holder design to make a hard tail look with rear shocks.

Very good point on the pipes being low. If I built any style tracker I would want the whole thing level with the top of the tires, and there would be no room left to lean. My chopper has a huge expansion chamber but it's high and in front of motor.. I think I will have to go with a high seat bike.

I guess it's the same frame as the r12 but this zundapp is a good looking bike. It would be kinda cool to fabricate all the small bits and use nothing of an actual zundap
bavu7eza.jpg

Why remove any ability to actually use the motor? Less performance, 100 year old tech, etc... It's obviously your prerogative, but I just don't get it.

The only thing that would be 100 year old technology is the front suspension and lack of rear shock. The motor is a mere 40 year old technology.

I could use a modern shock on a girder front end. But would have to get creative to keep the rear frame looking smooth if adding plunger shocks.

Beeweldmut said:
I was planning to use the jemco exhaust. They are pretty sexy and stay low on the bike.
gy2ate2y.jpg

That's Roy's bike with GS wheels and Jemco's. The pipes are pretty good and they are available. I built my Tracker with a Strader 3 into 1 for decent bottom and mid range and a tiny slim exhaust out the right side of the bike. That's not the key to top end HP but a 3 into 1 can look pretty good on the right platform.

Sounds like you want to build a Suzuki equivalent of KR's TZ flat tracker. The motor and exhaust to look like a TR750 (XR11) but in a chassis that looks like it belongs on the dirt. That would work.

If you want the motor to look like a real racer, it needs slimmer side covers incorporating an electronic ignition mounted on a flat side plate with a simple cover over it. That would look mean. Then see if you can graft a thinner alternator onto the right crank nose to take another couple of inches of its girth.

I have seen that one and it's a stunning example of what can be done. I'm sure I'll do some similar motor mods, I'm just looking to do something more custom with the frame. But that bike is awesome.

VonYinzer said:
Why remove any ability to actually use the motor? Less performance, 100 year old tech, etc... It's obviously your prerogative, but I just don't get it.

Hey boss, how's your short chop coming along? ;)

Not to be an argumentive fellow, but as I was stating earlier about the usefulness of so called unrideable bikes, here's a video of the bike I posted earlier.

http://youtu.be/JFX4HIpn9e8

Back
Top Bottom