Build opinions requested, but not necessarily accepted

dieselchanic said:
Not to be an argumentive fellow, but as I was stating earlier about the usefulness of so called unrideable bikes, here's a video of the bike I posted earlier.

http://youtu.be/JFX4HIpn9e8
Ben's fucking crazy,lol!!! And a pretty cool dude

Joon-yah Bourelle said:
Ben's fucking crazy,lol!!! And a pretty cool dude

Ya I've never met him in person but he's been cool to me anyways and I dig what he does. Him riding that thing on the ice was epic...

A safer jump would be if the bike didn't rebound into the air after landing. He is riding it well, but from the video, the suspension sucks....Those fat tires act as an un-damped spring....No doubt the bike would go airborne if it hit a pothole....ties not touching the ground mean no power, no braking, no steering. I am not talking about the initial leap, just the bike dribbling it tires down the court.

While cool looking, it is poorly engineered. A well engineered bike would have a suspension that kept the wheels on the ground as much as possible.

I believe the point being made is to not be a Whiney lil bitch, and just ride the fuckin motorcycle.

mydlyfkryzis said:
While cool looking, it is poorly engineered. A well engineered bike would have a suspension that kept the wheels on the ground as much as possible.
Something well engineered is designed for an intention and successful at it. If it wasn't designed to keep the wheels on the ground, then it can still be well designed. You guys often confuse design and engineering. Bikes are designed for different reasons and to apply the same requirements on all of them lacks intellect. Testing or taking a bike to the edge (or beyond) of its design limits for fun does not prove bad engineering.

This is a farm vehicle. Is it poorly designed because it can't take a corner a 50mph or keep it's wheels on the ground on a washboard dirt road at 40mph?
11-22-42i1.jpg

that guy jumping that hardtail Harley is just showing off for the camera at the expense of a broken and bent motorcycle what a complete ass clown ??? it is a cool old bike that would actually do everything so much better with the proper wheels on it , but no he needs more attention than that so on go the artillery wheels
you gotta wonder if he is just plain ignorant or just fucking stupid

deviant said:
Something well engineered is designed for an intention and successful at it. If it wasn't designed to keep the wheels on the ground, then it can still be well designed. You guys often confuse design and engineering. Bikes are designed for different reasons and to apply the same requirements on all of them lacks intellect. Testing or taking a bike to the edge (or beyond) of its design limits for fun does not prove bad engineering.

This is a farm vehicle. Is it poorly designed because it can't take a corner a 50mph or keep it's wheels on the ground on a washboard dirt road at 40mph?
11-22-42i1.jpg
those tote goats are made for packing way more shit than you can carry at a walking pace
like a cut up elk
they def surve a purpose but they are pretty far out on the edge of fitting in this discussion :)

2013-07-14091441_zps981ec3b7.jpg

That's mine at the drag strip last year. Not exactly set up for drag racing but it worked quite well with 18" front tire, longer shocks and high bars. It was stable at 1110 at the end of the strip and handles really nicely. It feels light and easy to ride. A stock GT750 is neither :)

BTW,
That video is a good example of a bike being ridden by a rider having fum on a bike that is barely in control. The cute looking Suzi with a tractor seat is another great looking bike that isn't really a motorcycle. Girder forks were great when Brampton made them in 1930 but there are too many wear points and they lack tortional rigidity. Of course a missing front brake is a bit of a no-no too, but it's not really designed to be ridden very far or very fast and only under controlled circumstances.

We are not talking road race bikes here with extreme geometry and power to weight ratios. A street bike still needs to handle and perform well and steer and brake well. Style is whole other issue and what looks right to me is a Red framed Triton that I saw when I was a young impressionable teenager in the mid sixties. Choppers, bobbers etc don't work for me, and that's the point. Style is personal, functionality is not. Well designed bikes are optimized for their intended purpose, but should not be dangerous if ridden outside the design envelope. For example a Dual sport-adventure bike will never handle as well as a sport bike at the track, but they are not dangerous if ridden reasonably fast.

xb33bsa said:
those tote goats are made for packing way more shit than you can carry at a walking pace
like a cut up elk
they def surve a purpose but they are pretty far out on the edge of fitting in this discussion :)
No arguments here. ;D I always wanted one though; but one that was able ride at 50+ mph. Something I could ride to work, shop, go through the mud, sand and water. Like a motorcycle version of a lifted 4 x 4 hauler.

xb33bsa said:
that guy jumping that hardtail Harley is just showing off for the camera at the expense of a broken and bent motorcycle what a complete ass clown ??? it is a cool old bike that would actually do everything so much better with the proper wheels on it , but no he needs more attention than that so on go the artillery wheels
you gotta wonder if he is just plain ignorant or just fucking stupid

Looks to me like he's having a good time.

You know what's fun? Sledding behind a car. Neither instrument was designed for that purpose, and it's not safe, but damned if it's not a good time.

I just put a giant front tire on my XV. Does it handle as well as a narrower tire on a taller rim would? Absolutely not. But it's still fun!

yeah but you gotta be ::) to put 50lb rototiller tires on an perfectly good old harley like that, needs a clown suit to round out the deal ;D

deviant said:

11-22-42i1.jpg

Front loaders have no suspension either. They are well designed for what they do, as does that little red tractor bike.

The video shows a bike ridden beyond it's safe capabilities.

Indian Larry rode beyond sensible too, and up until his demise, there were plenty of people defending his "lifestyle"or riding choices.

Riding like in the video is just stupid. The bike wasn't made for it, and the rider is taking stupid chances.

Poor (or misapplied) engineering is poor engineering. You may like it, you may think it's cool, but it is still poor engineering in the end.

Back
Top Bottom