Kawasaki 750 Zephyr

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
This bike is near me. Looks bad ass and the price is cheap. Seems to be well cared for, but the mileage concerns me a little bit.
Is 37K anything to be worried about with the Kawasaki 750 engine?

I'd love to have a ZRX, but this is a quarter the price.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/4540691705.html

The Zephyr was the sort-of retro bike with modern tech Kawasaki released around the time of the W650.

There are a lot of folks with old Z1's and KZ650's on the old Kaw boards that have them as their "modern" bike and love them.

With the work it's had I wouldn't worry much about the miles. It will eventually need valve seals, but probably not until the 60-75 thou ballpark.
THe success of the Zephyr led to the ZRX 1100/1200 and those bikes are generally praised as an excellent all-rounder.

THey may be a smidge vanilla, especially at the 750 size, but I would expect it to be a very easy bike to live with.

Clean it up and paint it in Kaw race colors. Maybe use a square GPZ tank. Bam... Poor mans ZRX.

I had a ZR7s which I believe is the same engine, about the only difference is mine had
a single shock. Loved the bike, handled great and the engine was plenty powerful. Took
it on many long trips also, the only gripe was the seat, which you can always fix.

The old air cooled Kawi engines are pretty bullet proof, you might want to check the valves in case they have never been adjusted. I wouldn't be afraid of it at all :)

Now that I looked at the add, I wouldn't doubt he already adjusted the valves, would
seem a no brainer if he put a new tensioner in. Wouldn't hurt to ask him.

Back
Top Bottom