New to me

Should I keep the big single headlight? Or go smaller or two small duals like I did on my kl 600... Thoughts?

Sent from my E6653 using DO THE TON mobile app

Attachments

• 1484142903287.jpg
    1484142903287.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 200
Duffer, do yourself a favor. These bikes are becoming rare and as stated are climbing in value. The tail light thing, very cool. Matching the paint, great idea. Don't do anything too that bike that takes it to far from original. Collect and properly store stock parts. Down the road if you ever decide to move on, your return will be plentiful. This has always been my process. Being able to have a hobby that pays for itself adds to the joys of this hobby. Not many get the chance you've received to get a bike that complete and desirable for a bargain price.

A lot of guys on here have taken what was a fairly undesirable bike and made art of it. You've had a piece of art handed to you, and bone stock gathers crowds (I know, I've owned several) and I'm jealous A/F. That bike is a blast and you've many great days coming on that steed.... As soon as that bike came out, everybody I knew got over Hondaitis quickly. That was the bike to have. By todays standards a little tame, but back in the day it was considered a beast. Good luck, you sir are a lucky man...

Thanks for the advice, I won't be cutting or altering anything. When I first saw the bike for sale around the corner it had been sitting in a dusty garage for almost 4 years. I'll be honest on my way there I planned to chop and cut and alter as I have done on a few other bikes in my shop class over the bobber craze of the last 5 years or so. But when I got there and the guy went to grab a beer for us while we looked at the bike and I rubbed off some of the dust on the better than new rims and tank. I knew that wasn't happening.
I understand the issue of altering and decreasing the value and not to mention the the nostalgia of it being original. I lucked out the same way with that kl 600 I picked up last spring. It was a 1000 $ pick up as well......delivered from 4 hrs away included. It was old looking but mint, if you know what I mean. I have refurbed it back to original. I love that old girl. It's an 84. I may pick up something to chop and play with the cafe thing. But it won't be this one. Thanks again for your advice and words of wisdom. As a man it always feels good for someone to tell you you did the right thing.... Lol

Im just trying to make it look like a street tracker, pretty much there anyway in my opinion. Recovering and mildly reshaping seat, and painting the tail.... And some more polishing and I'm riding in the spring. Sorry if it is not as crazy as some of the builds on here...

Damn that is super nice! are you going to put the B2 stripes on? the best thing you can do to this bike is ditch the terrible factory shocks. Hagon makes some that look really close if you want to keep the stock look. love the blue 650s.

the rear shocks were notoriously bad from the factory. It will improve the handling even if you get some cheap ones, but the hagons are a good deal for a custom shock setup. I had Hagons on my last 650 and made it a treat to ride. 1978 kz650 - B2 is a trim package offered, which is what I think you have. these stripes were stock. you can get them from diablo cycle

s-l1000.jpg

Oh I see what you mean by the b2 stripes. Thanks. I was thinking of two stripes side by side, one thin and one a little thicker in antique white.... Kinda like the color on the seat piping and the color I used to fill in the kz 650 and the Kawasaki words on the tank. Maybe down the middle of tank or off to one side right through to the fender? Can always be removed if I change my mind.

I know it might show up too white, or too yellow on the pics... But it's a subtle off white

Attachments

• 1487867150400.jpg
    1487867150400.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 1487867155403.jpg
    1487867155403.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 1487867164561.jpg
    1487867164561.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 194
  • 1487867175241.jpg