1983 Suzuki GS1100G - Cafe Light Project aka Cafe Suzi

gordinho80

Hi all! New to the 2 wheel world. I picked up my first bike, a 1983 Suzuki GS1100G with 13k miles on it back in July 2014. I wanted a big bike that I wouldn't grow out of to be my first bike. I'm taking it nice and easy for the first couple of years, not pushing the bike too much until I get a little more experience under my belt. Recently, I decided I wanted to update the aesthetics of the bike so that it would not appear as dated. The bike just screamed 80's to me when I first got it.

IMG_3573.JPG

IMG_3617.JPG

Couldn't pass up a deal, though. I got the bike for a steal!!

First wave of modifcations came when the starter took a crap on me. While waiting for a replacement to come in the mail, I took some parts off and started painting it.

IMG_3759.JPG

This helped, but the bike was still not looking the way I really wanted it to look. Initially I thought I wanted to do something more along the cruiser/chopper/bobber-ish lines. That idea went out the door when I came across a bike on Instagram. This bike became my first Inspiration.

IMG_0120.JPG

I knew right then that I wanted to go Cafe! I came across a set lower handlebars, so I picked those up and added bar end mirrors. Having the bars lower just feels right!

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

I finished the riding season here in NJ with the bike in this state. It felt a million times better riding it in that position.

Now with winter upon us, I have the down time to really invest into transforming my bike into what I really want, along with updating and replacing some components that needed addressing. I work 2 jobs, so progress will be slow, but I have rest of winter to finish!

Before I started taking things apart... I cam across a bike on theGSresources.com forum, I beleive he is a member here aswell. I saw this bike and my jaw hit the floor! THIS is how I want my bike to look... not exactly as to not copy entirely, but base the appearance and overall execution on this bike.

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0900.JPG

IMG_0934.JPG

I LOVE that you can still ride 2 up, but it LOOKS like an old cafe. So I started tearing mine down.

IMG_0905.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG

2015-01-14.jpg

I appreciate any feedback and suggestions as I tackle this project. Again, this is my first bike. I've worked on cars/trucks for years, but never on a carbs or a bike before.

Thanks!
Mario - Jackson, NJ

That tank was gorgeous.

With the lower bars, and a café seat, you'll be in need of some rearsets.

I would have bought the rear shocks before you ruined them....did you just tape the bike and paint it all together?

Shocks aren't ruined... ???

I painted the bike in pieces... removing many of the pieces that I painted and prepping them prior to paint.

High On Octane said:
It looked better before you rattle canned everything black. Just my opinion.

Haha I was thinking the same thing. To each their own, as long as he's happy with it. Maybe it was worse than the pictures eluded....

I just keep going back and forth from the original pic and the flat black one ....and i cant help but to think of that aspca moto video ichiban posted

Jeez, cut him some slack!
It's his bike, not ours, and that's the way he obviously wants it.

Anyway, keep up the build!

-Sherm

Bigsherm said:
Jeez, cut him some slack!
It's his bike, not ours, and that's the way he obviously wants it.

Anyway, keep up the build!

-Sherm
Thanks Sherm.

While some may disagree with my process, it is my bike... and I will do what I choose with it. I appreciate feedback and suggestions. I know that not everything I will do to this bike will make everyone happy.

Have all the slack you want....im just disappointed i cant come across a nice shiny tank i have several that are spent and would look better flat black ...either way im along for the ride i have 3 shafty 1100s in various stages at the moment

Tank wasn't in perfect shape... There were some scuffs. Plus end result will get fresh paint... 8)

Any pics of the shafty 1100s?

I have a thread i need to update.....but this is one when i got it and as it sits..... My main goal after seeing so many builds is to clean/ polish the motor instead of paint it same with as much of the rest as i can

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    480.9 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 301
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 309
DSC00441.jpg

It feels good to know people appreciate the work I put in to this GS. It was a neglected POS when I bought it. I put a lot of sweat into this bike. It was pretty low budget because I did everything myself. These bikes are a bit much for a beginner. Take it easy out there. And if you have any questions about the build, feel free to ask.

Cut the frame today. I might still take it in a little... I will have to see.
IMG_1552.JPG

Also flipped the handlebars so they are little lower.
IMG_1557.JPG

Took my cluster apart so I can start working on the single speedometer with tach delete. Going to make a custom bezel where I will place LEDs to function as the Indicator lights
IMG_1556.JPG

Quick and dirty photoshop of what I'm planning on with the gauges.
IMG_1544.JPG

Amazon and eBay were busy for me the last couple of days. I am awaiting delivery on the following:

Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit (to go with the new pod filters and the Vance & Hines 4-1 I'm running)
Carb o-ring & gasket rebuild kit
Pod air filters (ditching the bulky airbox)
Replacement ignition switch w/keys (my cylinder sticks sometimes, especially if I use the LOCK)
LEDs for the custom indicator panel
various gaskets

Back
Top Bottom