My first bike '75 cb360

Just so ya know, if you havent ridden it since the installation of the shorty glasspacks. Youd probably have a hard time finding a louder pair 'o' pipes.
The pair Im currently replacing are virtually identical to yours. Been more than once, Ive been approaching joggers/ walkers/ bicyclists, and had them stop, turn towards me and flip me the bird. LOL One jogging lady ran off the road and stood down in the ditch. Threw her arms in the air and was screaming at me as I passed...of course I couldint hear what she had to say. But Im sure it was nice. ::)

The noise level is the reason I am replacing them. It drove me crazy after about 10 minutes at 75mph.
At 80mph my wife could hear me heading home, from 2 miles away!

Hopefully this new pair is less annoying. For all parties involved.

stacygwiner1 said:
If it wasn't -10 in the garage, I would! Lol! We're waiting for the snow to melt and it to warm up a bit to situate some things to make room. We have to many projects, no space! Soon though, soon! I can't wait!

-10 ! that sounds Canadian to me. brrrr. We had our coldest day of this winter. but it was only -8 last tuesday I think. My garage heater was working overtime :p

Oh and Yes it can be made to run great w the pods and pipes. But you and hubby may end up pulling some hair out, getting her there. ;D

trek97 said:
Just so ya know, if you havent ridden it since the installation of the shorty glasspacks. Youd probably have a hard time finding a louder pair 'o' pipes.
The pair Im currently replacing are virtually identical to yours. Been more than once, Ive been approaching joggers/ walkers/ bicyclists, and had them stop, turn towards me and flip me the bird. LOL One jogging lady ran off the road and stood down in the ditch. Threw her arms in the air and was screaming at me as I passed...of course I couldint hear what she had to say. But Im sure it was nice. ::)

The noise level is the reason I am replacing them. It drove me crazy after about 10 minutes at 75mph.
At 80mph my wife could hear me heading home, from 2 miles away!

Hopefully this new pair is less annoying. For all parties involved.

Hah, i wanted to make it louder. And let the uptight jogging lady flip me the bird... ;) we'll see. Curious, What did you get to replace them?

trek97 said:
-10 ! that sounds Canadian to me. brrrr. We had our coldest day of this winter. but it was only -8 last tuesday I think. My garage heater was working overtime :p

Nope, Michigan, but it's bad enough. The other issue is the 32 hotrod and 47 chevy that are in there and we can't get out. We have one to many projects and not enough space. I really cannot wait to get started. For now I'm planning and looking for parts!

The CV carbs on this bike are peculiar as hell. That's much of what Trek was referring to. A bunch of us that have 360's get them modded by a guy on here to run K&N's and a more open exhaust. The stock setup requires the restrictive exhaust and the stock air boxes. Without doing any machining or porting, just PJ's carb mod can get you gains over 100mph. I've been running the modded carbs for a year now, but at the same time I think about going to a Mikuni setup.

stacygwiner1 said:
Hah, i wanted to make it louder. And let the uptight jogging lady flip me the bird... ;) we'll see. Curious, What did you get to replace them?

This is a gamble. Ive never heard a bike w these mufflers. But fingers crossed they are not as loud as the others. ::)

http://coneeng.com/pdf/motorcycle/MC-finished-Mufflers.pdf

quiet-er core S/S reverse cone. I bought em dimecitycycles.com , w 10% discount and free shipping.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-exhaust-parts-stainless-steel-reverse-cone-quiet-core-motorcycle-muffler-mc-1750-18-q-ss.html

Fabbing hangers right now. Well, actually "right now" I am on here, procrastinating fabbing up hangers. ;D
Buddy Greg coming over this week to weld said hangers.

stacygwiner1 said:
Thanks! Great looking build. No worries on deleting. I personally don't care.
I'm Still set on shorties and if we run into any issues cross that path when we get there. If we get there haha. I should have waiting to join until we really get into it. This is making me impatient to start. Hah!

thanks, for most my bike is a love hate thing. Hate to Love it, Love to hate it...lol.
Nope, you have joined at just the right time. Gives us plenty of opportunity to yell at you more.
Dont want to talk you out of building your vision. Just passing known information.
You got plenty of time to work out any bugs and you will learn alot along the way.
You will quickly learn 360s have very special quirky personalities that seem to set them apart from most any other make, model and age bike. And each individual 360 has its very own set of quirks and personality. One day you will LOVE it. The next you will be standing along the road pulling out your hair and cussing it. Then you will hop on it and it will all be great again.
The best thing you can do is learn to laugh along with it, and when you have reached wits end...Just, Give it a big hug. Cause it still loves you. Even when your mad at it.

Those UNI's have a nice big spring in them to hold form and if oiled correctly will be fine, I'm no genius but maybe some stock early velocity stacks from an air box modified to fit inside along with them would help with flowing air with less turbulence. The pipes are cool retro looking chunks, you could have some header pipes bent up to get some additional length and maybe just add an inch or two before the bang sticks, I know another thing that used to be done with the little twins is to build a little muffler and tuck it under the frame... kind of like a flow master, you could use two chunks of 2" and add a box between like a double barrel shotgun only wider run the headers in and the mufflers out with as close of the "look" you have now but underneath you have the back flow chamber... then you can tune the mufflers for sound. getting the carbs dialed in might be a challenge, but your in Michigan and no shortage of handy tuners up there.

Nice clean bike! I will shut up and watch from here XB cab be to the point but he's no dumb ass, probably mixes used motor oil with sorachi sauce for his raw fish tacos 8)

RD :eek:

Tune-A-Fish said:
Those UNI's have a nice big spring in them to hold form and if oiled correctly will be fine, I'm no genius but maybe some stock early velocity stacks from an air box modified to fit inside along with them would help with flowing air with less turbulence. The pipes are cool retro looking chunks, you could have some header pipes bent up to get some additional length and maybe just add an inch or two before the bang sticks, I know another thing that used to be done with the little twins is to build a little muffler and tuck it under the frame... kind of like a flow master, you could use two chunks of 2" and add a box between like a double barrel shotgun only wider run the headers in and the mufflers out with as close of the "look" you have now but underneath you have the back flow chamber... then you can tune the mufflers for sound. getting the carbs dialed in might be a challenge, but your in Michigan and no shortage of handy tuners up there.

Nice clean bike! I will shut up and watch from here XB cab be to the point but he's no dumb ass, probably mixes used motor oil with sorachi sauce for his raw fish tacos 8)

RD :eek:

:)

FF to 4:45, He shows how to oil your filters. too much oil and it will run RICHER.
Something you wont want. I dont know how many dusty roads you will be riding, so a nice lighter coat should do you just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuYBh7eYn1I

You can pass the cold spells by ordering and looking forward to a few less expensive "must do parts" New brake pads, wheel bearings and maybe new throttle and clutch cables. Running is a very important part of it, But, dont forget you will need to safely stop the thing also. Old brake pads can fall apart.

New cables will be shipped dry. So, you will need to get lube and an injector tool always helps.

link to tool.
https://www.denniskirk.com/28910.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=CjwKEAiAgranBRDitfSQk_P7vnMSJAAhx5G5UIjNjPoPYSvg2ItuWaOJMQnQpiZ5pWSibn0gtYcCrBoCpsfw_wcB

There are cheaper tires available. I love my Avon Roadriders. If your thinking new tires will be in order. I got mine from dennis kirk also. Best price I found at the time. I think they are made of asphalt adhesive. They are directional tires so pay close attention to the arrows on sidewalls.

If you dont know the age of the battery its always best to start w a fresh one. Dont matter how NEW it looks. A battery tender jr. Will keep it tip top during winter months. amazon.com has decent prices on that stuff.

If your planning to keep all the stock lighting a new R/R is a great addition. I just installed one from
sparckmoto.com. Matt, DTT user name "Sonreir" is the owner of sparckmoto. The R/R works super. its output is 180 watts as compared to stock 110w your getting from the seperate stock Regulator Rectifier your bike currently has installed. The stock units will dis-charge the battery at 1200 idle. running approx 11.5 volts at 1200rpm. The new R/R charges my battery at 1200rpm at 12.5vdc.

I wrote a blog post about the new R/R...
http://www.hondabrat.com/

the brakes are a must on do an old bike thumbs up to that
but about wheels bearings, many people change them for no other reason than to make extra work.if you can jam your thumb into the bearing, push and turn and it is not grindy feeling or loose....then it is dumb to replace it.motorcycle wheel bearings are extremely tough,over engineered,they have a relatively low load on them, they turn very slow, never get hot etc... the only thing that ruins them is the intrusion of water leading to rust
my 1971 sl350 is 44 years old has 26,000 miles on it and the wheel bearings are original and will last the life of 3 bikes if they never get rusty

xb33bsa said:
the brakes are a mut on anold bike thumbs up to that
but about wheels bearings, many people change them for no other reason than to make extra work.if you can jam your thumb into the bearing, push and turn and it is not grindy feeling or loose....then it is dumb to replace it.motorcycle wheel bearings are extremely tough,over engineered,they have a relatively low load on them, they turn very slow, never get hot etc... the only thing that ruins them is the intrusion of water leading to rust

+1, If they seem sketchy, though. replace them. If you keep the stock and they arent sealed you can clean and repack them w fresh grease.

in my opinion, carb kits are a waste of money. Unless damaged or drilled by a previous owner, Jets dont really wear. The needles and needle seats will wear slightly. Most kits dont include seats. Although expensive I think Honda diaphragms are worth every penny. all that is in the carb info links I posted earlier.
You can fully disassemble them and clean all parts and circuits.

If you end up sending carbs to PJ for modifications to run better w pod filters and pipes. He will ultrasonic clean and inspect them thoroughly, sync and set floats.

Clean out tank fuel tap and ensure the in tank screen attached to the reserve tube is in good shape. I think rebuild kits on ebay is a waste. I got a new cheapy on ebay w plastic screen and its great. Save the internal bowl screen from your stock tap and install it in the new one. Its a finer mesh.

Install fresh NGK B8ES spark plugs. ONLY. Not NGK BR8ES. The "R" Stands for resisitor. If you install new NGK Plug caps...make sure they are resistor caps 5 or 10 ohm will be fine. They are like $3 bucks each at motorcycesuperstore.com.

You can pull the points plate and remove, disassemble the advancer for cleaning and lube w high temp grease. pay close attention to parts order when doing this. The lobe can be re- installed backwards and bike wont run. I have a post about that.

I have instructions posted for DIY small, easy bracket that prevents unsupported carbs w aftermarket filters installed, from sagging in the insulators. causing fuel issues due to being out of level. Its a pretty popular fix.

If you decide to pull right side case cover to clean out the filter cup, be sure to get a new o-ring from your local honda dealer first. No need to REMOVE the cup. Just reach in there w toothbrush or something and clean it as best you can. You will also need to replace cover gasket once finished. Complete gasket kits are on amazon.com ( least expensive Ive found)

Just a small list of tune up stuff to get things started and working towards a very reliable machine :eek:

Also, LOL, use Rotella oil in the blue bottle. With the wet clutch other oils can cause it to slip. I add ZDDP additive to mine, you can find it at amazon.com.

Getting work done. Stripping unwanted brackets and mounts off to start design work and build new seat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    900.2 KB · Views: 224
Back
Top Bottom