First Project : Yamaha XS1100

The French Dude

Hi folks!

There I am with my new and first project. I just bought a Yamaha XS1100 for 600 bucks. I would like to build a nice cafe racer from this base.
I didn't saw a lot of XS1100 build around here...

So there is the plan :

Disassemble the bike
Get rid of the horrible seat
Rebuilt the engine
Cut some parts
Powder coat the frame
Polish some pats
Reassemble the thing
And enjoy...

If you have some ideas I will gladly take it :p

There are some pictures :

403245image1.jpg

417616image184.jpg

737390image3.jpg

578471image2.jpg

The build will start as soon the temperatures goes up 0 degree celcius because I don't have any heated place for the moment :-\
Maybe I will be able to disassemble some part but nothing serious.

Thanks for watching

Looks great, i just got an 81 that looks similar, i am looking for ideas, maybe we can compare as we go ! is your engine polished or chrome ?

The mufflers are awesome ... Chrome looks a bit harley wannabe but this bike is a nice starting point

It appears you have an XS1100SH. Nice. It looks like stock headers sporting Harley mufflers. Get yourself signed on at XS11.com. Someone will likely trade you for the chrome bits. That way, two people are happy!
Your '81 has a one year only ignition. Keep that in mind if you need parts. The ignition module has to be '81.

Ideas?
xs-1100-040.jpg

XS1100_33333.jpg

they are hard to find i went with one i had kicking around that was intended for a cx500 and just modded it

Awesome bike to build on. My gf got one. Top end was shot and it still has a few more issues to work out before its a reliable runner.. engine starts missing badly when hot for instance. Not sure if ignition module is shot or if its related to carb tuning after ripping out the airbox which was leaky and busted.. all cylinders are currently independent runners as well, i.e 4-4 exhaust. Not sure if this engine likes that..

I can't register on XS11.com it appears that registrations are closed... Don't know why and I can't contact any member.
Thank you for the information about my bike. Is ignition system weak on this bike?

jetmechmarty said:
It appears you have an XS1100SH. Nice. It looks like stock headers sporting Harley mufflers. Get yourself signed on at XS11.com. Someone will likely trade you for the chrome bits. That way, two people are happy!
Your '81 has a one year only ignition. Keep that in mind if you need parts. The ignition module has to be '81.

Ideas?
xs-1100-040.jpg

XS1100_33333.jpg

Those could be inspiration! Really nice bikes!

The French Dude said:
I can't register on XS11.com it appears that registrations are closed... Don't know why and I can't contact any member.
Thank you for the information about my bike. Is ignition system weak on this bike?

Those could be inspiration! Really nice bikes!

There is nothing wrong with the ignition on your bike. I works great. BUT....If something goes wrong with it, it's '81 parts only.

You have to jump through a hoop to get into XS11.com. There may be a current technical difficulty.
Site closed to NEW "SELF" REGISTRATIONS: CLICK HERE for Registration Info
Dear members and future members. Due to constant Spammer activity, real people(Spammers) were getting registered through the Self Registration process, and it's too difficult to put up IP BANS, there's just too many of them . . . . .
The site is closed to NEW "SELF" REGISTRATIONS. Folks can use the CONTACT US email link to send registration info to US, your preferred USERNAME... and Temp Password you want to use; and your bike info/year/model/style:Special/Standard to include in your profile. We will then create your account, and notify you via email. You can EDIT it once you get on the site. Thank you! T.C. /ADMIN

It's worth the hassle as there is no better place for knowledge on that motorcycle. Best to come here for the modification bits. ;D

Ok there we go!
I can't wait so I start to dismantle the thing...
And I have few questions.

306229image5.jpg

479076image6.jpg

I would like to know if it's possible technically to relocate the upper strut fixation as the yellow line show? I prefer the look and I would like to make the seat more high. Any thought?

381314image7.jpg

I really like those wheels what the best way to make it really clean?

224748image4.jpg

Thank for help!

You could cut and weld to change it but it might be easier to just find longer shocks....also for my wheels i usef simple green to clean them then i hit the aluminum with fine steel wool and wd40 ....then toss a buffing wheel on an angle grinder and keep it around 3600 rpm

make sure the shocks you get have good dampening both ways

once you start making some power in that bike it tries to throw you over the bars from shaft jacking

that is where the torque hits the rear wheel and causes it to climb up from shaft rotation

i had a cheap set and it was awful i got a set of progressive shock and it is nice and stable and only rises slowly

Back
Top Bottom