1979 KZ650 build - "Painters Tape"

Re: 1979 KZ650 build - "Peg Leg"

mounted the cut rear seat to the bike via rear fender holes.
6_11_1.JPG

mocked up a shelf under the seat for center electronics
lowered the rear tail a bit.. still more to do on that.
have to wack off center tabs.
seat foam is very wack ignore that.
6_11_3.JPG

gonna cut rear seat to make rear cowl fit better .. and gonna cut front fender tomorrow..
need to work on gauges. as electrosport is no longer a distrib for acewell gauges.. for now ill roll stock.. maybe lowered.

got the front fender the way i wanted it.
it will be painted to match the bike(what ever that will be) or black.
did some work on the rear cowl. got it lower.. need to cut the bottom to level it out.. probably will lower a little more.
6_12_1.JPG

why would you want to put all the electrics, and the battery in the rear??? In the middle of the bike, and down low is the best for handling, weight distribution, and protection.

8_26_1.JPG

8_26_2.JPG

got a seat... some sparks were flying tonight.. need to weld in a new rear loop.. and relocate electrics... small sealed battery will be under seat hump
still waiting on getting a acewell gauge to get those lower
4>1 exhaust this winter..

thinking the bike will be yellow to match my leather.

That's going to look good mate! That tank has a nice shape too....

havent had too much time to tinker or post for that matter.. but..

ended up giving up on the gas tank rear hump seat for now...
i got the seat a little shorter.. got the new acewell gauge.. got most of the tabs cut off and smoothed.
top pic is where it is now.. bottom pic is seat length i think ill go for now.
combo.jpg

I had already shorted the tail by about 4 inches by cutting the rear hoop.. now im thinking ill take another 4 inches or so out..
4inch.JPG

i cut / fit / tacked in some more center frame supports last night.. figure ill lay some sheet steel from the tank to the end of the rear hoop. it will act as my fender and provide place to tuck my electronics under the seat and protect the battery under the seat hump
supports.JPG

Just catching up on this build but it's looking good. And HerrDeacon's bike is a great example. I'll definitely be watching this one...

got the supports welded in and the rear hoop cut off.
12_27_1.JPG

got the rear hoop welded in
12_27_2.JPG

got plates cut.. need to tack them into place.. will act as my fender along with surface to mount all the electronics and battery under the hump
12_27_3.JPG

got the seat where i want it.. raise up of hump aligns with end of shocks.. gives enough room that i have about 1 inch behind my money maker.
12_27_4.JPG

exhaust is off.. gonna order the vance and hines 4>1 soon.
carbs off rejetting.
probably ordering clip ons very soon.. figure i dont need the exhaust till spring.
figureing the seat will be painted same color as the tank.. (not sure what the final color will be yet... but...) and then just use some basic molded foam glued on.

This looks awesome, Beard! 8)

It's good to see another KZ650 in the works. I'm at a similar stage with my '78 KZ650.....

Keep up the good work.

Are you planning to put your battery under the hump? Do you plan to keep the e-start?

Keep it going! I'm also very happy to see another KZ650. I've got a 77' that my girl rides, and have been looking for ideas on what to do to it! Those are fun bikes. I've got a KZ550 that I'm building for myself. I'll subscribe to this one so I can see your progress. Keep it up.

Bruno

I like the seat/tank alignment. Looks 'right'.
The 650 is a sweet engine.
:)

did some minor stuff.. recleaning carbs/rejetting for exhaust/ checking floats..
sprayed the seat real quick.. looks so much better not being white.
11010_1.JPG

11010_2.JPG

Yeah... looks great! The seat is a great fit.

Any thoughts on colours?

did some work on seat bracing..
the center post support is a little high.. but going to wait until everything is welded in, then ill grind it level.
12210_1.JPG

12210_2.JPG

from underneath
12210_3.JPG

Back
Top Bottom