KZ550 bob/Cafe almost there!!!

Re: KZ550 bob/chop/cafe? <---all of the above so far...

Noted guys. Glad you like that tail. It's been stuck in my head all summer...kinda nice to see it on the bike. Hopefully I'll be able to work some more tonight.

Aye up mate, Gav here from over the pond! Loving the tail job, keep up the good work. Had you thought of a name for her?
After seeing the first pic of her on your first posting with all the straps, what about "The Harrier"?

Catch you soon me old mate

BTW. the bike in the pic you asked about was from our mate Carl. Delivered to the hotel for $200..........A 1981 KZ750 four....my next project. I'll keep you posted. :D

Good to hear from ya Gav! Now that you've got all your motorbikes over there you need to let me know when you start a build! Haven't really thought about a name yet...Do you mean harrier as in the British jump jet that takes off vertically? Here's a picture after some more polish work on the tank. Hell of a lot of work.

Well after a few setbacks and triumphs I am finally able to get back to work on this thing! I took a bunch of pictures but my computer is deciding to hate me at the moment. I should be able to post them up tomorrow morning. Here's a few from my phone.

Attachments

• KZprojectpic47Forks.JPG
    KZprojectpic47Forks.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 374
  • KZprojectpic48Forks.JPG
    KZprojectpic48Forks.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 361

the paint on the engine looks great. Are you planning on going with a gold/black theme throughout the bike?

To be honest, I'm not really sure. I'm at sort of a fork in the road. I had thought that doing the frame white, the inside of the fork legs white (polished on the outside) along with a white and black paint job, would really clean up the look. But I really do like that orange thing there. the only reason that is orange was because I wanted to learn how to make paint actually stick (I always had trouble with it scratching easily) so i finally saw the rattlecan thread on here and cleaned it really good, but i then baked it with an oven we have at work. so it was paint, oven paint oven...worked REALLY well. My first thought, is to see how close they guy that is going to powdercoat the frame can get to that orange. I'll take opinions here! haha, Any thoughts guys?

Decided to two-tone the forks a bit. Here's how the first one came out. Haven't started on the second one. Polished on the outside black on the inside.

Attachments

• KZprojectpic49ForksTape.JPG
    KZprojectpic49ForksTape.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 381
  • KZprojectpic50ForksTWOTONE.JPG
    KZprojectpic50ForksTWOTONE.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 388
  • KZprojectpic51ForksTWOTONE.JPG
    KZprojectpic51ForksTWOTONE.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 365
  • KZprojectpic52ForksTWOTONE.JPG
    KZprojectpic52ForksTWOTONE.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 395

Got quite a bit done today! Finally cleaned up the head and painted it so I could start test fitting my exhaust!!! Finished up the forks, here's a few pics from todays work.

Attachments

• KZprojectpic55pipestest.JPG
    KZprojectpic55pipestest.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 362
  • KZprojectpic54pipestest.JPG
    KZprojectpic54pipestest.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 353
  • KZprojectpic53ForksDONE!!!.JPG
    KZprojectpic53ForksDONE!!!.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 361

Here's two more :) ....good day.

Attachments

• KZprojectpic56pipestest.JPG
    KZprojectpic56pipestest.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 377
  • KZprojectpic57artsy.JPG
    KZprojectpic57artsy.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 356

Dooooood - nice pipes! ;D

I like that a lot.... the turned up tips look good.

Thanks! ;) I'm not sure where exactly I want to go with them yet, because I do want to add some sort of silencing to them...but they are 1.5" OD tubing. I'm thinking I'll run them up the whole rear of the bike (which I'll do today) and see what it looks like. Slash them inwards at the rear and I hope that will look cool.

Pipes look great man! I love the way they follow the contour of the frame. BTW is it ever going to stop F'n snowing!!!!!

Love the exhaust man. Really nice work. The way they follow the frame is sick. I wouldn't mind seeing them hit a collector and go into one somewhere along there. I'll be interested to see where you take it from here. The seat and tank look really sweet too. Keep up the good work

Yeah, I didn't get any time to really mess with it over the weekend. This bike has a look of it's own at the moment...I may even leave them the way they are (fix them up a bit of course, since they are only tack welded in place) I should be getting my baffles in today so we'll see. I also haven't done the other side yet, this is only the right side pipes. Still not sure how crazy I want to get with them. Thanks for the thoughts guys, I'll keep them in my mind as I get to work on it again.

I can't wait to hear those pipes. keep up the progress.

Well, I hit a bit of a design snag yesterday evening...for my first bike build I guess some stupidity was inevitable right? I hadn't realized that there was a kickstand on the other side... ::) sooo...I've made a modification for now, but will change it slightly from what is seen in this picture. The exhaust will go under the frame, follow the rear section coming up (similar to the first design) and come out near the two threaded holes seen in the picture that used to hold the rear foot pegs. They will be slash-cut so they are flush with the bike. I got my baffles in, and will toss them in on the underside of the bike where the pipes run straight under the engine. UGH. :eek:

Attachments

• KZprojectpic58slashcut.JPG
    KZprojectpic58slashcut.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 368

Well, Tested on both sides, and I'm finally able to say I have my exhaust idea done and went back to what I originally wanted to do. I'm pretty stoked for it. Here is a picture of the almost-finished pipes. Cylinder 3 is too long, so I'll have to shorten it up a bit, so it will be shorter than it is now. My baffles fit right in and it should sound great and not be TOO loud, as well as have enough back pressure to keep the bike happy. Now I have to go make the other side! Oh and sorry for the funny colors, I was playing around with the camera on my phone.

Attachments

• KZprojectpic59.JPG
    KZprojectpic59.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 368
Re: KZ550 bob/chop/cafe? Exhaust idea finally done!

Well I've been dealing with an engine issue, but I did some other things while I wait for shims...

New key spot, shaved the throttle side, and am cleaning up and getting rid of electrical crap.

Attachments

• KZprojectpic60.JPG
    KZprojectpic60.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 328
  • KZprojectpic61Key.JPG
    KZprojectpic61Key.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 331
  • KZprojectpic62wiringguts.JPG
    KZprojectpic62wiringguts.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 350
Re: KZ550 bob/chop/cafe? Exhaust idea finally done!

Very nice work on the exhaust. And I hate wiring, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom