1979 Suzuki GS550 Rookie Brat Build

Jonny_C said:
Sorry to see that you're getting rid if it so soon! Best of luck with the sale!

Thanks Johnny. With all of the recent Government downsizing I am being forced to take another postion at a different location. I wish I could take her with me.

Paydan said:
I had to trim my pod mounts a few millimeters because they were just a tad too long and made the filters hit the frame. They just fit with a little room to spare.

Tiger008_zpsce308f25.jpg

Tiger004_zpseed52e25.jpg

I'm having the same issue, I was just wondering where did you trim them?​
Did you pull the cap off the filter and trim it there?​

I pretty much just trimmed off the rubber boot that connects to the carb. I cut off maybe 3mm all the way around.

I cut the boots down to about a milimeter shy of the width of the clamps. Everything fits fine and is held on tight.

Sorry to hear about the sale. I just picked up one of these. What you did is inspiring. I am a noob so what are the chances of getting some guidance?
Again, love what you did here, best of luck to you.

LJ - Sorry for not getting back with you. Haven't had much time lately to get on the forum. What in particular would you like to know about?

Bru-tom said:
you wont get better running at low down and idlr RPMs. i also wanted to go pods, but there is a science behind it i tell you. the pods cause the air to flow so erratically into the carbs that no amount of tuning will get them 100%. too many variables,even cross winds will effect their performance. none the less, the reason why this happens is that the way these carbs are designed, they need nice smooth flow of air coming in and pods certainly do not allow that. the original airbox is big and ugly, but it was designed that way. the air gets time to settle and get "sucked" in at a rate which the carbs determine and it does it through velocity stacks. so removing all of that leads to flat spots and bad low rpm power delivery. at high rpm the amount of air flowing through your carbs, the consistency and stability doesnt really effect anything....

but i will come up with a better option. im thinking of making a plenum chamber with velocity stacks built in with a filter. with enough space to allow the air to neutralize and let the cabs do their thing, caburate. ;) makes no difference what brand you use, none will give as good overall performance in town as standard. That is of course its not a race bike and kept above 7k rpm all the time....

Just carburation update for you, dont want to take this off topic, but with the 'Trapp' and K&N pods, needle at centre position, 107.5 main jets, pilot air screw out 2.5 turns (or one turn out from factory settings) Pilot fuel screw one turn in from factory settings, standard pilot jet.

Runs like a swiss watch!!!

really like the GS's. Great build, dude. Going to keep my eye on this one. I got a 77 GS750 underway with a very similar style to yours.

Paydan said:
Hey thanks for the comment. As for installing the pod filters I am not going to lie, it was an ass pain and a half. First off, I had the hardest time getting the stock air box off with all of the crap that was connected to it. And when I finally got it off I found that I was commited to having to relocate all of the stock wireing. Also the pods that I bought were a tad too long and would not fit between the carbs and the frame. With a little trim they fit like a glove with about a millimeter to spare. All in all it took me a good days worth of work from start to finish but you can't argue with the results. I think that the Zooks are totally underated bikes. With only a few mods and a couple of days worth of work and you will have yourself one little bad ass bike.

nice build! could you tell me the size of the pods you've used? thanks mate

Back
Top Bottom