sh!tbox CM400 project. 4/30 ttfn

Re: CM400 Brat... Seat pan opinions... 9/11

MBS - It's not stainless, might still leave it though!!!

gribbs - Yeah, I'm planning on going full "normal" hardtail over the winter so I don't know if I'm going to cap it or not. It does look a lot better when capped, probably gonna stay with the factory tank for now. I love the 70's decal!! lol

I have all mids again this week at work, hopefully i'll be able to work on it sometime this week. I have a ton of taping and sanding to do too... bah... drywall...

MarcW said:
MBS - It's not stainless, might still leave it though!!!

gribbs - Yeah, I'm planning on going full "normal" hardtail over the winter so I don't know if I'm going to cap it or not. It does look a lot better when capped, probably gonna stay with the factory tank for now. I love the 70's decal!! lol

I have all mids again this week at work, hopefully i'll be able to work on it sometime this week. I have a ton of taping and sanding to do too... bah... drywall...

Make sure you clear coat it then - looks cool.

I really like the look of the seat and I even like the fact that it covers part of the frame. Looks good. Did you get the springs yet? also, are you planning on triming the fender some? I'm thinking if you rounded the corners it would be just right. The length seems perfect. Cool light btw.

MBS, I love the Gilera. did you ever sell it? Would have bought it in a heart beat if I had the money.

Still no springs.... I smell negtive feedback...

Mark, you got me on the hunt for a cm400 now. The frame is perfect for a bob. When you put the cl350 shocks on it a while back, did that lower the rear end a bit?

If you cap off the ends of the frame and put some turn signals on there, it'd look sick. And btw, we need an update on this thing!

THose wiring pics are scary as hell. WHat brand/model tire is that back tire you're running? The whole bike looks great. I'm looking for some new tires for my project. It has pizza cutters at the moment.

Springs came in yesterday, they sent me 3" instead of 2"... I really don't like the look of it with the 3" springs. Ordered a smaller seat but I'm afraid it's still not gonna look right with the struts.. That's it for now!!

Rear tire is a 180 cheng shin btw

how much were the 3 inch springs????
are you running straight pipes on it, what type of mufflers are you using????
i am deciding what to put on mine, don't know if its a good idea to run straights on it.
what to get the best for the bobber look and sound, any info or suggestions would be great..
can i see the springs on your seat???
i am also considering running a sprung seat, my frame is about the same, and the hard tail is done the same, would be great.
thanks
later.

I won the 3" springs off ebay for like $11 shipped, they must have measured them wrong.

I'm running straights into emgo shorty mufflers. It sounds ok. If you look at the cm400 bobbers (or any custom cm lol) on youtube most are running a similar setup.

I'll try and get a pic of the way it was set together for you tonight.

hey man,

thats cool, i'm still thinking about using a seat..
just would like to see it on the bike to give me an idea of how the ride hieght is.
any way, cool.
later.

Just for shits and giggles....

In current struted form...

Random KZ650 tail I had laying around...
P1010086.jpg

My original cut up KZ1000 tail...
P1010087.jpg

I'll try to get some pics of the pan with springs today, and the small seat w/ 2" springs should be in this week...

Re: CM400 Brat... Seat pan opinions... still... 9/20

I like that KZ1000 tail a lot. Maybe that's the way to go.

I have to put a vote in for the bobber seat pan. I think it goes better for the style of bike you're building IMO. This bike really doesn't need a tail...I like that big open tire back there!

Just mocked up, I'm not feeling it. We'll see when the other seat gets here...

P1010096.jpg

Might just make a seat to fit the frame with some short go cart shocks, or might just plan on not riding it before winter and re work the rear end...

Maybe I should change the title to bobber instead of brat lol

I know every one says "hard tail it!" but I think the short shocks would be cool and more in-line with the Brat Style (and just cap the ends of the frame). You just don't see many of these done in Brat Style. I think that's why I'm so anxious to get a CM. I don't want to go changing my CB around after all of the money I already put into it, ya' know? Regardless of what style you go with, it'll be a rad bike. I went through hell trying to figure a seat on my Hawk because of that annoying frame.

If it were me, I'd take the original seat pan, grind down the sides and shape it some, then have it upholstered similarly to one of these:

DSC_4670-1.jpg

DSC_4742.jpg

RIMG2533.jpg

RIMG2430.jpg

Notice how the seats all kind of sit up against the fender? Personally, that's the look I dig. I think that'd look great on your CM, but just my opinion.

+1 get rid of the hard tail put some shorty springs on it get rid of the seat springs and let the seat follow the lines of the bike and maybe thin out the back of the seat a bit. It defo suits the brat look than the bobber look unless you are going to lengthen that swingarm. my 02c

I would agree, put short shocks on her and lose the seat springs. Gives the bike some nice lines. -MBS

I'm leaning towards going back to short shocks...

Thanks for the input!!

Wow, 4 pages back!! Been working on the house, going back to shocks for sure...
New pics soon

Back
Top Bottom