I need inspiration/ideas

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Any of you fellas good with Photoshop?
Usually, by this point in my builds I have a pretty good idea of what kind of paint job I want, what color, stripes, etc. This one is leaving me scratching my head. I'm still waiting for the light bulb to go off (on?).

There's just the tank, seat, headlight and possibly that front fender. The headlight is a plastic dirt bike headlight and I'll probably end up painting it with vinyl/plastic paint since it has to flex a little to even be mounted. Probably just black.

I know I want something....different. Something that says mean, sinister, speed, etc. Or hell, maybe I want multi-color flake? I just don't know.
The H.A. wheels have been powder coated and have a satin or semi-gloss look to them. A satin black finish with some subtle stripes on the bodywork seems easy, but it's a little too obvious.
Care to offer some suggestions or ideas?

And one showing the headlight assembled:

Man... that's one sweet platform for a custom. 8) I'm not much help for ideas. In my case, I just kinda start in and it happens as I go! ;D

You can do anything you want and it'll be cool. :D

(please don't tell my Kawi Friends I said that... o'k? I must keep up appearances ;) )

Upon further review, with those period H.A wheels, I think I'd stick with what you have and go with a really "out there" 70's metalflake creation on the bodywork. THAT would be cool! ;D

Something that might get you going! Do you want cool colors like blue, green and etc, or warm colors like red, yellow or orange? I think of colors I like and then try to imagine what they would look like on the project. Chevy had a burnt orange from late seventies or early eighties that I liked! It might look good on the right bike!

Paint is obviously an area that is the most subjective but when I look at this bike it says very dark red flake to me.

If you want to stay more classic then a chocolate brown and almond scheme is always nice too.

pterodactyl said:
Something that might get you going! Do you want cool colors like blue, green and etc, or warm colors like red, yellow or orange? I think of colors I like and then try to imagine what they would look like on the project. Chevy had a burnt orange from late seventies or early eighties that I liked! It might look good on the right bike!

Of those two options, definitely leaning towards the "cool"' side; blues especially.

Ribo said:
Paint is obviously an area that is the most subjective but when I look at this bike it says very dark red flake to me.

If you want to stay more classic then a chocolate brown and almond scheme is always nice too.

The dark red flake I'd have to see Photoshopped. The brown and almond.....can't quite imagine that.

scott s said:
The dark red flake I'd have to see Photoshopped. The brown and almond.....can't quite imagine that.

Like this - but I'd do the lighter tone more cream colored

cb750.jpg

tumblr_ltjs09Qwj91r0mz3ho1_500.jpg

http://rocket-garage.blogspot.com/2011/11/nutella-racer.html

--------
The red flake I was thinking something like this but without the silly logo.
deep-red-metallic-custom-paint-2013-fatbob.jpg

I can't see the pics.

What about Matte Graphite, like on the 2013 Triumph Scrambler and Street Triple?

Matte graphite is always a winner to me. Combine it with a tan and it's great

It's really hard to mess up black. It's such a classic color. A bright orange or a honda red looks good too and could pass as vintage. A anthracite grey looks good. All these colors gloss, matte looks cheap, rattlecan, and unfinished.

It's all up to the person. Personally, I am a fan of matte. I think it looks great when done properly. Some people hate it. That, sounds like a whole lot of their problem.

It looks okay. But it's just a pet peeve of mine. It might be because I'm a professional painter and matte is just never as refined or complete looking than a wet gloss clear coat job. Matte also looks like rattle can if the bike is a little ghetto.

Have you consider plastic dip? One great advantage is that if you don't like it you can just peal it off and change it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgnGrZVZiQE

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 839
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 852
Back
Top Bottom