Beachcomber's Tales from the day

Did a bit of personal reminiscing at the weekend as Mrs. B and myself have now been together for 30 years - 3rd time lucky I guess.

Anyway, I decided to do a Google Earth to see if I could locate the Blinking Owl and "relive" some of those bends and roads of my youth.

What's that about leave the past in the past? ::)

A main Highway now passes right through where Passingford Bridge was [ "Fishing for Gold Stars" ] and the river is now in an underground culvert - wonder if they found 2 Goldies when they were constructing ! ;)

The main M25 London Ring Road passes through where the Owl was - so that's also gone ..........................

Yep, nostalgia is not what it used to be. :'(

Its funny talking to friends in Ireland and hearing of all the changes. Most of the hangouts are gone as well. One of the saddest for me was Turvey Ave. It was a long straight country lane where a kilo sprint was held from the early 20s to the late 80s until development destroyed it. They say you can't go home. I think they're right mainly because when you get home it won't be there. But you know BC, we have memories of a wonderful time that no developer can destroy.

Pure self indulgence - apologies in advance.

laverdaproddieracer.jpg

Beachcomber’s Tales from the Day [ almost ] 11th. March 2011

Mrs B 3rd, Production Racing Jota and the Handbag

This one’s a bit of self indulgence, given that it is not of the day ::) [ “only” 30 years ago ] – but does involve a Café Racer machine [ Production race prepped Laverda Jota ], myself and the ONLY story bike orientated that includes Mrs.B 3rd. That’s my excuses – sorry if anyone is miffed. 8)

The reason – well, we’re celebrating our 30th. Anniversary this weekend [ 12th. / 13th. March ] and as I stated previously, Mrs. B and myself have hundreds of stories worth the telling, but are almost all car orientated – this is the only one involving a bike.

In fact, after this event, it was actually the last time Mrs. B went on the back of any bike – to this day !! :'(

Anyway, The Tale – 30 years ago, I’ve just got together with Mrs. B. and after a rather traumatic parting with Mrs.B 2nd. AND losing my house and business as a result – I’m like a dog with two tails having hooked up with the current Mrs. B. Why?? Just take a look at the pix.! 15 years my junior, I thought all my Birthdays had come at once.

So I’m doing the Flash Harry bit to try to impress her and I’m doing a bit of retail [ and ego ] therapy and swapped my CX500 for the Jota. That bike was very quick for it’s day – genuine 140 mph :eek: with brakes and handling to match.

Those of you with 20-20 eyesight will note that the side panels say "Jarama", not Jota. Well, long story, but the Log Book [V5] showed the bikes as being a Jarama - so that's why the side panels were fitted ;) .The power plant, and running gear was pure Jota. In this pic you can just about see the evil little megga ..............

On this occasion I’ve had an invite from an old customer to attend the World Powerboat Championships at an inland water park – Chase Water in the midlands and only 40 or so miles from home. Those of you familiar with the Powerboat World will know that it’s all Glamour and Martini’s. So when Mrs. B asked what she should wear – I said “Something Stunning”. I decided to leave the Mustang at home and use the Jota – not only was it a beautiful day, but the Jota would I knew, make very serious presence in the paddock.

The Something Stunning was a skin tight silver [ I shit you not ] leather catsuit – like a very tight set of leathers! ;)
The outfit was finished off with a set of knee length black boots and a matching shoulder bag slung over and hanging down her back [ for all those girlie essentials].

We set off early to take advantage of the low volume of traffic at that hour, and after 10 miles or so of glorious bend swinging, we came to the main Motorway that would take us virtually to the location.

Once on the Motorway I settled to a steady 70 - 80mph [ no Rozzer mirrors on the Jota ], at which speed the Jota was barely ticking over, but had a very satisfying burble to the exhaust note.

Mrs.B starts tapping on my shoulder, but due to the shortie open Megga [ no baffles ] I can’t hear what she’s saying and assume she wants me to go faster. Up to 100 in a flash – more insistent tapping on the shoulder. 120 comes up in no time and a change up into top gear. This time it’s a real thump and I’m thinking, wow she’s a real speed freak. Time to get serious and as we have a real long [ 3 miles ] stretch coming up of virtually straight 3 lane Motorway – I give the Jota full beans. By now the Jota exhaust is really wailing – like only a Triple can. ;D

As we hit 140, the Jota is maxed out and I’ve still got Mrs. B banging away on my back. Not for the first time I’m thinking “ I haven’t got any more my dearest”. Fortunately for my ego we have to start slowing anyway to take the slip road [ off ramp ] off the Motorway for the last bit of twisties.

As we approach the roundabout over the top of the Motorway, she’s still thumping me, so I decide to pull over and let her know It’s not on to be giving it the max around lanes I don’t know that well - especially with such a precious cargo aboard. As I pull up, she leaps off the bike, rips the handbag off and swings it and nearly takes my head off.

Well - “That’s not a very nice reaction just because I can’t go any faster” ??? I tell her. Then I take a look as she removes her helmet and her face is really red. Turns out that as I approached the ton, the weighted handbag flew out behind her with the strap around her neck – the faster I was going the more she was being strangulated!! NO, she didn’t see the funny side of it at all and opted to make the journey home in the safety of my pal’s E-Type.

Totally put her off bikes – but for the past 30 years mercifully hasn’t put her off me ………………… 8) 8) 8)
img130.jpg

woahhh! shes a loooker!

pitty to think that that pic was X amount of years ago...

reminds me of a girl i used to mess around with....

Hey Rocan, not so shabby even at 50+ !!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

No more tales for a while, I'm off with Mrs. B on a chill break to our place in Saxony.

A pretty shitty year for me healthwise that's kept me out of the garage. :'(

Well on the mend now, and a couple of weeks of beer and roast pig will do wonders for us. 8)

I'll put the finishing touches to "Missing Motorcyclist 2" when I get back.........

take it easy bc! have a good vacation then come back to us with more tales ;)

I'm new here, and just came across this thread this morning. Well, I read it from beginning to end. Great to hear these stories from guys who were "there", and learn that the past we dream about with our old bikes actually happened, and was at least as great as we always thought it was!

Beachcomber and Hoof, if either of you are ever in the New York or Montreal area (New York in the summer, Montreal during the school year), look me up. I'd love to buy you a beer or several and hear more!

Peter, The days were great for many reasons. Having pots of money wasn't one of them. As I'm sure BC will confirm, people in England and Ireland (and the continent in general) have a different attitude to bikes. When I started riding here in Riverside anyone on a bike was Hell's Angel or a nutcase.

When I got to Ireland I had my eyes opened. Motorcyclewise California seemed almost oppressive by comparison. Once outside the cities and towns there was no speed limit. Cops had some of the blindest eyes anywhere. A fr'instance. I had a sidecar on the Norton and one spot (behind the Guinness brewery) on the way to work there was a tight left hander. I could hike the sidecar and then head through Guinness' with the sidecar balancing in the air and trying to go as fast as I could. One morning I have the sidecar up in the air and giving in a handful when a cop steps out and waves me down. I got the usual what the hell do you think you're doing question. I kinda pointed back at the corner and gave some lame excuse about the sidecar coming up and there was nothing I could do. He had a big mustache and he looks me square in the eye, gives his mustache a tug and says "Do you think I was born yesterday and grew this overnight?" Then he just said "You'll be late for work. Don't let me catch you doing it again." This is the sidecar. Slimline Triton with a Watsonian Monza on the side.

img110vc3.jpg

Most of the time we didn't have two pennies to rub together but things were cheap. I bought a slimline featherbed rolling chassis for about $30. And one of the conditions of the sale was I had to take a 500T engine as well. There were a few beautiful Tritons and Goldies but most of us made do with what we had.

I mentioned Turvey Ave. a couple of posts ago. Long gone but fondly remembered. This photo came from a friend. We raced there because that is what we had. The photo is looking back towards the start. In the distance you can see a bike coming up. Where the two people are standing out in the road is a side road where the timekeepers set up. I think they might be a couple of the timekeepers having a quick look. Note the huge runoff and all the other safety aspects.

These days we have the internet and gizmos to beat the band. So in some respects we are better off. But back then was a great time in a totally different way. And in some respects we were better off. If that can make sense.

But I'm not done yet. I realise that road racing is over for me. Too old and stiff. So land speed racing fills the void. Despite being damn near fossilised I'm still getting ready to head to Bonneville again this year.

20030020022789333476010.jpg

P.S. Peter, This is the traditional sidecar I built for land speed racing.

sw150820104.jpg

Sorry for wandering.

Yep, back now and batteries fully recharged...........not only that but the results of my kidney tests were waiting for me on my return and showed far better prognosis than was expected ............. life is good. 8) 8) 8)

A couple of weeks will see "Missing Motorcyclist 2" ready for posting.

Nice to get the feedback from you "youngsters" - the whole idea of starting this thread was to give some of the younger enthusiasts a taste of what it was like back in the day. That's not to say OF's like me and Hoof aren't "with it" and all for progress and evolution. That's one wicked chair Hoof.....

Regretably due to the aforementioned helath issues, I'm having to cut back on some of my projects - but I have just secured a suitable Yam TR1 for my "Vincent 'esque" Cafe Racer. Yes it WILL have wire spoked alloy rimmed wheels, Goldie silencers and a trad Brit CR tank [ AJS 7R, maybe Goldie or Manx].

Hoof, your story of the sidecar and Guiness reminded me of the time with the first Mrs.B - 8 and a half months pregnant. I had a low sitter [ 16" wheels, LL forks ] Constellation in a T110 chassis with a Garrard Grand Prix attached.

We went off to the visit my parents via the Blinking Owl caff - which you may recall was out in the sticks of rural Essex.

We came round a right hander very enthusiastically trying to outrun a guy on a 500 Dommie [ solo ] in a nice [ though I say it myself ] 3 wheel drift. As we came to the next straight [ and Dommie catching me ] I suddenly came across 4-5 Bambi's in the road. One was a real tiny thing and aiming at it was my best hope of getting through in one piece. Only by lifting the chair wheel did I manage to clear the Bambi................ Mrs.B was NOT impressed.

The result was we had to abandon the visit to my folks - and head straight to maternity ;)

Glad to see you're back BC. Happy too that your test are on the positive side of things. I had a lot of fun with that sidecar. Spent a lot of time imagining I was Fritz Schiedigger.

BC. Remember these? Made by Britain Ltd. I bought this in the 60s for a few shillings. Got some speedway riiders and Alf Hagons blown JAP sprinter as well.

img0600vv4.jpg
[/img]

beachcomber said:
Yep, back now and batteries fully recharged...........not only that but the results of my kidney tests were waiting for me on my return and showed far better prognosis than was expected ............. life is good. 8) 8) 8)

good news big fella. Take it easy.

Just spent a week-end away with dad and brothers/grandchildren talking shit about motorbikes. He's to blame for everyone of his boys getting bitten by this bug. His health maybe failing now, but it was good to let him know the our bunch of rabble (for better or worse) wouldn't be what it is today without his passion for these machines.

Good motorcycle stories are priceless, and bridge generations.

Look after yourself.

ian

Guys, you're making me want to set up a sidecar hack. This has the possibility of turning into another project...probably the last thing I need right now...but...looks like so much fun...

Glad to hear you're in good health, Beachcomber. Looking forward to reading more! Mentioned your sidecar story to the gf, she threatened to hit me if I tried something like that.

Peter, If you ever get the gf into a sidecar you won't be able to get her out. When my gf (now the long suffering better half) first got into a sidecar she was apprehensive. When she realised how much more comfortable it was than riding pillion she was hooked.

Haven't been able to get her to hop into this sidecar yet.

sw150820107.jpg

This one will definitely be my last project...........

I've been collecting bits for the past 4 years and last year I found a guy in the UK who has the moulds for the fairings and will do me a set for the bargain price of £250 !!!!!!!!!!

It will have an R100 engine - can't afford a Rennsport.

It will be road legal, but it will get used for track parades and the odd sunny day of hooliganism.

As Hoof said, there's something about a chair - especially once you master the techniques.

mdeubel_m.jpg

I'll really look forward to seeing that on the road!!! How much does a Rennsport go for nowadays? Assuming you can find one. With the way my kees are I don't think I could fold up enough to fit a low sitter like that. And I'm pretty sure a kneeler is out of the question. Hers a spur for you BC.

Tom Petty - You Got Lucky

Back
Top Bottom