xs650 shift shaft seal won't budge at all?

jh321

Well I need to replace my shift shaft seal and took the clutch off and slid the shaft out of the seal. All was going hunky dory!

So I come to remove the seal and it wont come out one bit... It appears to be a soft rubber inner to the seal and a hard metal outer (I'm sure it has rubber on the very outside that touches the case, right...?). Well I have broken two hook tools, tried to pry it with a screw driver and I can see it moving slightly but now the metal lip to the seal is bent out so there isn't much of a lip left to pry on. I don't know what my next option is... Has anyone had this happen before? What are my options?

I'll try and get some pictures now

Thanks for your help!
James

I'm not sure I'm visualizing it correctly, but when I remove stubborn shifter or countershaft seals, I drill a small hole near the perimeter and then carefully twist a small wood screw in. The screw bottoms out and then pushes the seal out. I file the tip of the screw flat so that it doesn't damage the aluminum that it contacts.

I hope that's helpful.

James - yes, the seal is entirely encased in rubber, where it mates with the engine casing. I'm surprised you're having this much trouble with it. Pics would help along with pics of the tools you've tried so far.

It's a very small seal to be trying to drill / put a screw in the face of to pull out so I'd not try that just yet.

Back
Top Bottom