SR500 Project

Well as I had hoped, that terrible square shit was just stamped steel over a nice tubular frame, Mr. Yamaha isn't as dumb as he sounds.
So a little careful surgery (like 3 hours worth)

Then I welded in an electronics tray and cut off all excess shit I didn't want (ie everything, this bike wont even have a battery)

And finally I went through and re-welded the majority of Mr. Yamaha's "welds"

Theres still a lot more to be done with the welder and grinder but this is a good start.

Yeah the SR tail is an abomination of metal. I cleaned mine up in a similar fashion and welded an XS650 hoop onto it.

Drove up by Powder Buy the Pound today, so I stopped in and grabbed a few pounds of powder.
Heres the first part out of the oven.
I couldn't wait I had to powder something the color is just too good. And my iphone doesn't do it any justice.

Its called "bronze blast sparkle"

bradj said:
Ah stop talking shit on mr yamaha please :mad:

Only if you stop talkin shit on Mr.Honda ;)

I will give him that he certainly knew much better than Mr. Honda when it came to wiring harnesses (it sure is nice to have plastic harness plugs everywhere instead of 1738493928719294947 bullet connectors) and not using JIS fasteners.

SONICJK said:
Drove up by Powder Buy the Pound today, so I stopped in and grabbed a few pounds of powder.
Heres the first part out of the oven.
I couldn't wait I had to powder something the color is just too good. And my iphone doesn't do it any justice.

Its called "bronze blast sparkle"

Hang on a second...
You did this at home???

Do tell !!!

!!!!

M.

Cuba Libre said:
Hang on a second...
You did this at home???

Do tell !!!

!!!!

M.

Blast cabinet is in this thread, and powder coat stuff is in my 400f thread.
Basically a modified HF blast system and an oven.

Careful Sonic, you get too good at that and you'll end up with "Shitbox the super junker" in your front yard... you know you "need" a 50 year old p-twin with a bad engine and a frame in dire need of a proper weld on rigid rear conversion...

Oh and another rock solid oak got yanked out of the ground Friday morning, you'd best come get your logs. Otherwise they may end up getting burnt at Mopars and Motorcycles...

SONICJK said:
Well as I had hoped, that terrible square shit was just stamped steel over a nice tubular frame, Mr. Yamaha isn't as dumb as he sounds.
So a little careful surgery (like 3 hours worth)

Then I welded in an electronics tray and cut off all excess shit I didn't want (ie everything, this bike wont even have a battery)

And finally I went through and re-welded the majority of Mr. Yamaha's "welds"

Theres still a lot more to be done with the welder and grinder but this is a good start.

i wanna start cutting my frame up, what do you think the advantages of battery vs no battery are?

jeremyyyc said:
i wanna start cutting my frame up, what do you think the advantages of battery vs no battery are?

What bike do you have?
The sr500 runs and starts fine without a battery even in it. So I'm going to replace with a small capacitor to smooth the voltage to my head and tail light and I should be good to go.

Depends on the bike and its charging system.

Advantages are obvious, disadvantages are the voltage spikes with Rpms which will make your lights pretty dim at idle.

Scruffy said:
Careful Sonic, you get too good at that and you'll end up with "Shitbox the super junker" in your front yard... you know you "need" a 50 year old p-twin with a bad engine and a frame in dire need of a proper weld on rigid rear conversion...

Oh and another rock solid oak got yanked out of the ground Friday morning, you'd best come get your logs. Otherwise they may end up getting burnt at Mopars and Motorcycles...

Shitbox the super junker sounds like fun ;)
Why again are you cutting all these trees? Haha

Me? Windstorm, again, dropped it right into the power pole. This was the second trunk to the one that came down last year. Not as much burl in this half though.

Fun? Hell yeah, nothing better than making a rigid frame back road terror out of something that shipped with shocks. I may even weld a rigid rear onto the CL100, can't hurt it any worse than it already is. My road, and other ones I prefer to drive, are piddly little 2 lane cow paths, my Savage is overkill on most of them, and it's slow...

Picked this up at a scrap yard today for a 20.
Not sure what its from? I thought RD350 originally but the cap is wrong....
Anyone have any ideas?
I need to find a cap for it.

The oil tank cap doesnt allow the tank to sit far enough forward, so I am going to have to cut the front of the tank up and weld a new piece in a few inches rearward. While I'm at it I am thinking of cutting and welding in some knee dents. No TIG though, so it may be tough. Well see how the neck modification goes first haha.

If you get it forward enough and there's clearance, you can use those stubs sticking out from the frame just at the front of the tank to mount it. Tank rubbers from MikesXS fit perfectly on them. I made cups for the tank out of a small section of exhaust pipe and shaped them with the grinder a bit. Fits like a glove.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=19763.msg559004#msg559004

Thanks Tim, I think that's the plan. At have to trim them down a bit but seems like a good place to mount.

No one else has any guesses on what kind of tank it is?

Got my front wheel powdered tonight, had to build a pregnant oven as it wouldn't fit in the oven any other reasonable way. My insulation crapped out on me and melted but luckily I was still able to push through a full cure cycle. Tomorrow il get some better high heat insulation and do the rear.
null_zpsb8aed3a9.jpg

null_zpsec81f3b6.jpg

So who wants to explain to me what asahi malleable iron is?
null_zps390ef569.jpg

Wheel looks killer. And that's an R5 (RD350 predecessor) tank.same shape as the RD but twist off cap.

VonYinzer said:
Wheel looks killer. And that's an R5 (RD350 predecessor) tank.same shape as the RD but twist off cap.

I knew I couldn't be too far off!
Got a cap for it? Haha

Thanks man I appreciate the ID.

And as far as the wheels I'm super stoked, they turned out even better than I hoped. I can't wait to get them mounted up and get some pictures in the sunshine with a real camera so you guys can really see them.

SONICJK said:
I knew I couldn't be too far off!
Got a cap for it? Haha

Thanks man I appreciate the ID.

And as far as the wheels I'm super stoked, they turned out even better than I hoped. I can't wait to get them mounted up and get some pictures in the sunshine with a real camera so you guys can really see them.

PM me your address. Ill send ya a cap.

if mike doesnt have a cap I should. a dt250 should have the same foot print as the r5/rd petcock and the dt is single outlet.

Back
Top Bottom