Honda NX650 Dominator tracker

Re: Honda NX650 Dominator tracker - DONE!

Very very cool! I like your indicators / turn signals - minimal but functional.

Like Brad Pitt says - BONJOURNO! The spring is around the corner or actually already here, time to make things difficult for myself again.

DSC_0160.jpg

Wasn't happy with the CDI and fusebox visible in the front so i'll hide them aswell and make the wiring pretty and clean. Adjusted the valves too, only right hand side intake was a bit off. Little plastic speedo gear wheel had melted and was stuck, ordered a new one. Maybe, since the carb is off the bike, i'll throw just a bit bigger main jet inside aswell. And install a tiny fuel filter since there was just a bit dust-like sand in the carb, from sandblasting the tank.

CDI and Fusebox - hidden, fuse box above the engine and CDI under the seat attached with a bracket i made, clean in front
Wiring - done, with expandable braided sleeving
New speedo gear - installed and works, it´s actually quite accurate
Rejetting - done, 48->50; 155-> 160; raised the needle with a little washer (since it´s not adjustable)
Insurance for 6 months - 16 eur (18 bucks) ;D

Started with the first button push after the winter and i´d say it rides even better after modest rejetting, more power and smoother. Didn´t have time to check the plug yet though.

Some crappy pics from an hour long testdrive:

DSC_0193.JPG

DSC_0194.JPG

Burning some curvy country roads. With no heavy headwinds it's actually quite comfortable for 110-120 kph if you get used to it.

DSC_0270.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

I just started reading your topic today. since I bought myself een '88 Dommie. (with kickstart and rear discbrake)
Last week I stripped it down. And ordered a CG125 tank and SLR forntwheel on Ebay.(still waiting for delivery, tho)
Since its my first custom build I needed a little help.
And your topic will suddenly get me started!

For what I understand is that you used the original subframe.
But cut it here and there, and welded it again to make it more horizontal?

Very nice bike, by the way!!!
Love the 'open look' and higher placed front fender!

Yes, it´s the original subframe, reattached higher in the front to make the seat more horizontal.

The front fender, in reality, is useless by the way. Only for the looks. If you look at mx bikes, you´ll see that probably the fenders are that long and with a bend in the front end for a reason ;D

I'am also thinking about re-using the Original subframe.
(I'am not thát handy with framebuilding... ;D )
The toptube has to be extended a few cm, isn't?

One thing thats suddenly NOT my cup of thee, is the wiring.
But I know I have to deal with it, at some point.
Also want a smaller gel battery. Hope it doesn't give me to much problems...

For me it's no problem the fender is useless.
I ride a KTM 690 SMC Supermoto with high, short fender.
Even it's a modern bike, dirt and wather comes right in my face! ;D

That´s right, toptubes have to be extended like 5-ish cm. I also put a smaller tube inside the extension point to add strength. You just have to find the right point to cut the rear diagonal tubes to manage with 1 welding on each side but you can do 2 on each side too. I wanted to keep the original bend in there because one straight tube is too boring. And you can always cut it and mark the new higher spots on the main frame where the extended subframe should connect and have it made in a weldshop, it´s a peace of cake really for a welder.

Sure you can use a gel battery, no problem. And don´t spoil your mood with the wiring just yet, it´s the last thing 8)

Anyway, yesterday cruised around the city with my lady. This 1,5 person seat is totally ok for 2 person cruise. The bad thing is that she got to like it.

Next ride make a few fast turns. Hopefully she get scared ;D
A wheely also will do the thing...

Simpel welding is no problem. Bending tubes and stuff is not OK.
Yesterday I recieved a 19"SLR front wheel.
The Dommie disc doesn't fit. So I have to buy a SLR disc, which has a larger diameter.
And therefore I need a SLR caliper...
Tommorow I travel to Germany for a short holiday. I will make a stop in Belgium. (I live in the Netherlands) I can buy a original, good condition SLR caliper over there.
The SLR wheel is perfectly centered and wheel itself fits perfectly. including the speedometer cable.

Oh, and thanks for your advice and mental support! ;)

tort said:
I decided to use original hubs when refurbishing. You can also use 19" Honda SLR front wheel but it also means that you must get a new caliper.

1st post :)

Yah, I know... ::)
Since I'm still waiting for my CG125 tank, I will first work on the wheels.
I think I powdercoat them and respoke the wheel with RVS spokes.
I like shiny spokes!

What size TKC80 did you use (front and rear)?

The standard rear tyre is a 120. I like a little wider.

Fascinating and very informative thread, I stumbled across it while looking for info on NX builds, your bike looks fab, great finish :p I've just finished reading the complete thread and yet to have a look over the forum, just hope all the other posters taking on similar builds are following your lead and documenting their progress here.

I have a late 98 Dominator, the rear frame differs from everything that I have seen to date, the rear uprights continue to sweep back instead of turning vertical like on your model.

Absolutly an informative trhread. With some advise from Tort the building has started overhere.
Wheels, tank and seat are in place. The frame is modified. Have to do some more welding, but its started te get somewhere. :D
Grotefoto-TNER4MS7.jpg

Had to look up a Honda SLR and this came up:

The Honda SLR650 is a fairly joyless machine that barely redeems itself as a reasonably efficient commuter. Essentially it’s a more heavily road-biased Dominator built at Honda’s plant in Spain, back in the days when the Continental factory’s quality control occasionally went adios. A Honda CB500 is simply miles better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a Dominator for donor, like Tort (TS) did.
I only used a SLR frontwheel, because it's 19"and it fits easy.

Back
Top Bottom