'81 CM400T Street tracker "Comstar Love"

Cutting this hole was tricky.
P1020315.jpg

Still working on the mounting for the headlight.
P1020317.jpg

Mounting the head light was difficult but after much staring, cutting, and drilling I managed to figure it out. Lately I've been plugging away at doing the last little bits of fab. Here, I'll bore you with some pics of what happened last week.

I moved the mount for the rear brake light switch.
P1020329.jpg

Since I know the Mikuni carbs will need something to hang off of I welded on some tabs. Not sure exactly what it will look like but some sort of bracket will need to be made to go here.
P1020328.jpg

Funny how I spent a bunch of time cutting off unused tabs just to add a bunch more. These are for securing the mess of wiring that would usually be contained in the headlight.
P1020327.jpg

Mounted the tail light. I ordered this one without the integrated signals since I didn't like how dim they were on my last build.
P1020326.jpg

For signals I'm using these "Eagle Eye" LED's. They are ridiculously bright. Cheap on Ebay.
P1020324.jpg

Another Eagle Eye here. As well, there will be some mounted on the licence plate.
P1020325.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments! Starting to feel burned out on this build but since spring is here I'm feeling the pressure to get her done.

So I finished some odds and ends last week. Still waiting for my seat to return, until then I can't finish off the frame. But for the this week I've been painting all the small bits.

Had some buds come over and help me snap together my paint booth. Much thanks to them making this one way better than the last. It's complete with a suction fan and filtered intake.
P1020338.jpg

Here it is in action. Using the VHT "Roll bar and Frame" epoxy paint on the frame.
P1020339.jpg

Got my hands on some Dupi-color Metalcast Red. Repainted the valve cover and a couple other bits with it. Below are the front axle spacers.
P1020341.jpg

Since I was planning on using the levers that came with the R1 fork I forgot that the clutch lever was part of the switche's case. So I chopped it off. Yay!
P1020340.jpg

After.
P1020342.jpg

I had a moment this after noon so I tried painting the engraved text on my switches. Read people using super fine paint brushes or just spreading on the paint then wiping off the excess with a cloth. I didn't have a super fine brush so tried the wiping method. I used gold model paint, a sort of fine dollar store bush, and a cloth (t-shirt) with a little thinner on it. I started with the "START" text since it was the least visible. I first realized using the thinner on the cloth was a bad idea since the more I wiped the more black paint came off. As I carried on to the following texts I tried a couple other techniques. Ultimately, the best technique I found was try to brush the paint into the letter with a fine brush and then give it a firm wipe with a thin dry cloth. Doing one letter at a time.

IMG-20140329-00066.jpg

Yup. The bottle says it's an enamel. I read about people using model paint on their tank badges so I figured it would be fine for the switches.

Really like the rear frame work, front fork installation. Looking Great!
Giving me ideas for my build, too!

exploring/carolina said:
Really like the rear frame work, front fork installation. Looking Great!
Giving me ideas for my build, too!

I had a CX500 prior to getting this Cm400. I was shocked how similar they are. Besides the motor; the frame, suspension, and controls appeared identical.

Pretty sure the fork from a CBR600RR bolts right on to your CX500.

Problems painting.

I sprayed the frame, all the little bits, and the rear wheel using the VHT "Roll Bar and Chassis" with great results. The above the photo is off the front wheel where I started with a fresh can. I prepped the front wheel the same way as the front but for some reason the paint orange pealed like crazy. Also along the lip the paint is separating as if the surface was oily.

So I resanded it, washed it, and repainted. It failed again exactly the same way. Guess I'm going to have to strip it and use some primer.
P1020364.jpg

THEN! I tried some Dupicolor Metal Flake Clear over the VHT "Roll Bar and Chassis" paint. It just ate the paint like stripper. So weird. This peace was aluminum that was primed before the black.
P1020365.jpg

But then I tried on a peace of steel that was not primed before the black. It worked fine. Weird. I was going to spray the whole frame with this stuff but I decided against it since it seemed to amplify the imperfections. I just used it on a couple bits.
P1020366.jpg

You really need an etch primer on aluminium to get good paint adhesion. Any other primer wont help a great deal. Etch prime and you will be good :)

Cheers
Steve

Steve F said:
You really need an etch primer on aluminium to get good paint adhesion. Any other primer wont help a great deal. Etch prime and you will be good :)

It was etching primer.... :(

I just spent the best part of 3 days cleaning, prepping, etching, painting mine. Similar shit so I took them to the powder coaters. Job done.

Back
Top Bottom