1972 DS7 The Row Boat

Re: 1972 DS7 The Long Road- monoshock conversion done

bradj said:
sounds like your levels of "give a fuck" are to high

Need to make you a sign to hang over your garage doo that reads "From this point on, not a single fuck shall be given".

True Mike, you have my address. Rich, it was in the 50's here the last few days. Too cold to go in the garage and finish up. :D

50's is too cold?! where do you live? Too cold to work in the garage is when the wrench starts to stick to your hands or turn them purple..

Caf'd Out said:
50's is too cold?! where do you live? Too cold to work in the garage is when the wrench starts to stick to your hands or turn them purple..
South Louisiana....I would not survive up North.

Hehe, you should be able to heat your garage by turning the lights on.

Few little things happening this weekend. First, I got the engine covers back so I dedcided to put them on. Found out that the drive gear for the oil pump from a 250 doesn't line up to the primary crank gear on the 350 tranny. Second, the 350 throttle cable that came with the carbs that werer thrown in with the bike has a longer oil pump cable and probably won't work with the 250 oil pump. I'm really considering canning the oil pump idea and block it off. So to alieve the frustrations I tackled the wiring harness. I started with this crusty mess:

got it down to this:

Then started re-assembling it on the bike:

Here is a shot of the tail light.I still need to go back and glass over the top of the light where I cut it to high. I also got a daytona kickstarter that should clear the chambers and rearsets.

Glad to see progress bud. Keep at it. This thing is going to be bitchin'.

clem said:
I'm really considering canning the oil pump idea

Good to see the progress!

Try to keep the oil pump Clem - a bit of perseverance now can save you from the annoyance and disadvantages of using pre-mix.

Crazy

Looking good Clem. Doing the wiring would wind me up even more though ;)

Thanks brothers. After this damn (saints pulled it off)football game I'm going to order some bullet connectors and sheath to finish it off. I have the tubing on the way for the exhaust manifolds also.
Crazy, I threw away my ratio rite about 6 years ago. I really want this pump to work out. A question would be with the different gearing what would the 250 pump put out now as far as ratio?

http://www.dansmc.com/2_stroke_oilpump.htm

Thanks man. That was a good little read.

Just stumbled across the build, coming along nicely. great work on the pipes and love the wheel color choice.

I tackled more of the wiring this weekend and pretty much got it done. It went pretty smooth and I wish that I could say that building the rest of the bike was this simple.
I got it layed out and clothed up:

I installed new bullet connectors on the ninja switch and tail light:

Laid it up on the side of the bike:

And bam! Head light, tail light horn and blinkers:

I used the stock ignition switch to run this test but Ive got a replacement on the way that will fit into the stock zx6 triple clamp.
The list of things to do is getting smaller but finding time to do them lately is getting harder. I'm going to just keep on track and not try to rush through just to say that I'm done. Ill be cool if its finished by January.

Re: 1972 DS7 The Long Road

The daytona (RD400F) kick starter arrived today. Solved the problem of the kicker hitting the chambers. It clears the rear sets better than the stock kicker also. I have a feeling that the kick stand may be a little more involved.

Hey Clem, your electrical looks sweet! I seem to have about 10x as many wires on my 500!

John, I must confess that the charging system wiring is not installed. It does have its own neat harness though.

Damn! I just typed out a long explanation on the progress and somewow it got deleted. I don't feel like typing it again so here are the pics.

This is what I pulled out of the oil tank when I got the bike

Cheers

I'm loving your build brother! Very creative use of parts and your expansions are fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom