Number plate side covers

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
This is for a CB550 but it's a pretty general question.

Yes...drill a hole and zip ties is the easy answer.

Has anyone ever used number plates for the side covers? The oval or maybe slanted rectangle style?
Is there a neater, more classy mounting method? Bonus points if I can use the existing tab holes and don't have to weld.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170129.msg1975661/topicseen.html#msg1975661

Number plates don't make good side covers. And of ourse all race organizations ban racers from leaving race plates on any bike ridden on the street.

Maybe better to think about how you want the bike to look and maybe redesign or modify the stock side covers. For example on one of the GT750s I built, the idea was to slim the bike down and match the lines of the tank rear to the front of the side covers. So a pair of side covers were modified to move them about 2 inches forwards and two inches in and then they were waxed and used as a plug to make a new pair in carbon fiber.

Brackets were attached to take up the stock mounting points on the frame. So it looks like it's stock but subtly different and slimmer.

What are you trying to achieve with the side covers?

On my GS550 that was raced since new it had always run number plates both street and track.
The plates were hung with aluminum straps and tie wrapped at the bottom. They hinged up for service.

Attachments

• PB120020.JPG
    PB120020.JPG
    446.4 KB · Views: 242
Back
Top Bottom