New Triumph 500 Bobber Done! AND CL360 Front Brake ????

farducci

1969 T120R Bobber
Hey All,

New to this forum. Build British Bobs, Chops, Cafe's & Stockers from the like of BSA Triumph & Norton.

Great board with a lot of talent and good information.

Below is a shot of the 1970 Triumph Daytona 500 bobber I just finished and am sorting out.
I have a Honda 18" CL360 Front Wheel & Drum on it and have some brake questions.
I have the drum rotated about 40˚ counter-clockwise to stock mounting position for my application. It's a 70's Yamaha XS650 Front end.

Q: Will the angle of the drum as mounted cause more brake drag or adversely affect braking? My front wheel almost feels like it begins to drag more as I speed up ie. as the centrefugal force increases. When the front brake is applied at a stop, it seems to only release about 98% still dragging just a tiny bit upon takeoff.

The linkage rod in the stock position is above the axle running parallel to the pavement. As you can see, I've ran the linkage rod almost parallel with my fork leg.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. IF you wanna see more of the bike check out Farducci73 on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/user/Farducci73

tri5004.jpg

And here's the CL360 Front Brake Close-up.
tri5003.jpg

Great bike, love the braided wiring in the utube video. I have one of these wheels in the garage -just went out to look at it. Do you think that slightly stiffer springs would keep it a little tighter? I don't know if that is an option or not mechanically, or not, but most hardware stores have a large collection or springs-push pull you name it. Take care, and thanks for posting pics of the bike.

welcome to DTT. Great looking scoot there. Nice job. My first thought would be to check the pads. Sounds like they could be worn or maybe even have something on them causing them to stick etc.. If they are worn uneven i think it could cause some of what you experiencing. Let us know what you figue out.

Great looking bike!

sorry, i'm no help with honda brakes.

hey, whats up with your brake pedal (being way over the footrest)?

The pad cams in these hubs (the part that the linkage attaches to) are steel, and the hub is aluminum...the result over the years is that a calcium film develops in them and the actuation is spotty at best. Take them out and wire wheel them until they're shiny, and then hit them with some good wheel bearing grease. The next problem is that the pad springs wear out. This is what causes the pads to return to the "off" position when the lever is released. As mentioned above, replace those with some new ones. As far as the angle of your brake, no there shouldn't be anything that would cause an issue with how it's mounted. Good looking scoot!

Back
Top Bottom