cb500t is it worth it?

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the Ditches
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
I guess I didn't quite know where to put this, but I found this on craigslist. Called the guy. He said no title, he "thinks its all there". I asked him if the tank was rusted inside, he said he will check and let me know. Its about an hour and a half from my house. he said $100 but I would see if I could get it for $75. I would just be parting it out and keeping the tank. Is it worth it? I would think a good 500t tank alone would be?? Thanks guys!

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mpo/4831976293.html

Kinda what I was thinking. I need a front caliper too so I would guess that between that and the tank I would be good and could sell the engine, forks and wheels to make up for the rest of it.. I think ill try to nab it up if I can! bummer about the title but seems like a descent deal.

Yeah that tank is sweet. Unless the other side is mashed that's a good deal if you can snag it. Otherwise I just landed at Akron Canton for business and I'll take it ;)

Yeah im hoping its not rotting away or smashed. He is an older chap and I dont think he know alot about the bike. He is going to look in the tank and I'm gonna call him back tomorrow. If its rotted though idk if I will get it or not. Might have a hard time getting a bike back on the plane with you though haha

hurco550 said:
Yeah im hoping its not rotting away or smashed. He is an older chap and I dont think he know alot about the bike. He is going to look in the tank and I'm gonna call him back tomorrow. If its rotted though idk if I will get it or not. Might have a hard time getting a bike back on the plane with you though haha

From the look of the paint, it's probably not rusted through. Could be wrong but that usually signifies it's been kept out of the elements. Sun at least. I'd just buy the tank :)

Pictures can hide allot of flaws. I'm hoping to pick it up if I can Lol what are you in Akron for? My sister went to school there Lol

hurco550 said:
Pictures can hide allot of flaws. I'm hoping to pick it up if I can Lol what are you in Akron for? My sister went to school there Lol

Post up a pic if you get it. I work for Rubbermaid - we have a plant just east.

Will do my friend. I would like to keep the tank and part out the rest probably look

just made a deal for $75 biggens.. picking it up tonight after work.. ill post up some pictures

pics of the tank!!

wooohoooo. Just got home and had to wipe the tank off and take a few pictures. Was it ever worth the drive and 75 bucks. Truly a "barn find". It was the guys sons bike and it had gotten torn apart years ago and just left, but wiped the dust off of the tank and was very pleased with what was underneath. I havent found a single ding on it.

The paint and "pinstriping is probably a 7.5 or 8 out of 10

the only real somewhat rough spot is where the seat rubbed the paint at the bottom, but not even close to rusted though.

I opened the cap and could hardly believe it. There are a very few minor specs of surface rust that wipe of with your finger, but otherwise the inside looks like shiny brand new metal. (sorry its hard getting a good pic inside the tank.

The rest of the bike under the dirt isnt so bad, the side covers are just as nice as the tank. The forks are rusted, but i now have another caliper and rotor for my dual disc front end conversion on my cb 550. the seat is a little hard, but free of any tears so i may be able to clean it up and use some treatment. Its a shame the bike it sat as the bike wasn't beat up at all, it just sat in a barn for years. The clock only had 10,000 miles on it. Good score and Ill have some parts up for sale when I get it taken apart. I think Im going to keep the tank for my cb550 and sell the cb500t tank that is on my cb550 now.

Dang you have $75 for everything?? I thought you were talking about just the tank! That's the deal of the day.

Yep got the whole bike for 75 bucks! I'm pretty pleased! And that is the plan, my seat will cover the spot any ways.

Maritime said:
Make sure to treat the rust to prevent spreading but nice Score for sure.

Yeah I guess I should put something on it. Maybe some of that rust stop primer just on that spot...

hurco550 said:
Yeah I guess I should put something on it. Maybe some of that rust stop primer just on that spot...

Nah, that small of a spot some clear fingernail polish will do nicely. Seriously.

Back
Top Bottom