CB350 Steampunk Frankenstein Cafe thing called Isabel

Noddy78 said:
Brilliant! I'd love it. But that would involve modifying the petcock and carbs to suit some kind of screw up arrangement would it not? Does fuel react with copper at all? Given you want to keep it a secret, feel free to PM me with your adice3 in this one. I love the idea, just not sure how to go about achieving it!

See above. Great idea!

Heh, I have a gold 520 chain and new sprockets in the draw ready to go on as soon as I get my rear bearing retainer collar delivered...

Somewhat beyond my technical and budgetry contraints ATM... but worth keeping in mind.

Definitely on the to do list.

That is just beautiful. I think I'm going to have to give up now... mine will never look that great. That is awesome. You're right, I NEED copper tubing... any advice on how to do this from anyone would make me a very happy man!

After I get to the copper tubing point on my build and figure out the details, I'll let you know. It's not going to be soon though. I do have an idea for it that I'm pretty confident about, but I don't want to say anything until I've tested it and know it works.

I also wanted to throw this out there: A friend of mine recently introduced me to what has to be the most steampunk motorcycle I've ever heard of. A little known British make from around the 1920's called the Browne. He showed me some articles from vintage issues of Cycle circa the 1970's, and they're ridiculous. I tried Googling it, but the Browne is basically lost to history.

It's the most impracticable contraption I've ever heard of. Browne was a mechanical engineer, but he didn't understand or like electricity. So he built a chemical combustion engine (I hesitate to call it "internal combustion") with a unique transmission of his own design. I'll try to get pictures.

Get this, the thing was acetylene powered. It uses a "temperature regulated chemical ignition" instead of a spark plug, which is basically a tube that sticks out of the front of the cylinder head that is heated by an acetylene fueled pilot light. In order to adjust the ignition timing (on the fly while riding), you have to fiddle with a knob on the handlebars that opens or closes the valve to the pilot light. The crazy[ier] thing is, the faster you go and the more air blows past the thing, the cooler the tube gets and the higher the chance of flaming out your pilot light. So you have to constantly be adjusting the thing. However, if you turn up the pilot light too high or come to a dead stop, the tube turns red hot and you risk detonation.

The thing also has only one valve. One?! And no exhaust. In fact, Isle of Man passed a law that banned unmuffled vehicles specifically because of these things; the residents would get pissed off at how loud they were. Browne interpreted this as an attempt by his competitors to prevent him from proving the superiority of his motorcycles on the raceway, when in fact these things were rickety and unreliable gas bombs on two wheels.

And the cam? Well... the cam is also the transmission. The transmission? Well... it's clutchless, chainless, and resembles the needle mechanism in a sewing machine. The wheels? Made of wood.

timthumb.php

gooddecisions that bike sounds crazy, I wasn't able to find anything online either.
I don't wanna start a separate conversation on this thread, but if you've got the time you should scan that mag up to a DTT thread!

Rude. said:
gooddecisions that bike sounds crazy, I wasn't able to find anything online either.
I don't wanna start a separate conversation on this thread, but if you've got the time you should scan that mag up to a DTT thread!

I'm working on it.
Please excuse me Noddy, it's not my intention to hijack this thread.
When I get pictures of the article I'll make a thread, link it, and then that'll be the last mention of it in this thread.

noahdog said:
The rear shocks and muffler seem a bit shiney next to the rest of the bike. Any way you can give them a more of a brushed nickel look? Other than that the bike is by far one of my favorite builds in a while. :D

Yep, they definitely are too new and shiny. I'm basically waiting to get the rest of the bits together now before I go about making everything look the right age, so I can see what bits need what done exactly. Vaguely considering painting the exhaust with a matt black, but some kind of brushed effect would also work I think. I'll wait and see how it all looks and then do some tweaking!

Sorry for the lack of updates, things have been a bit crazy around here. Looking like we're going to have to move house in a few weeks (and there's no garage or workshop.. oh no!). I have been busy tracking down leather and foam and buttons and all the paraphernalia required to make a go of this seat in the meantime though... so, a couple of progress pics:

_MG_9849_zpshyl5pfan.jpg

_MG_9854_zpsiggm5u5g.jpg

Sorry it's been a while between updates, we've been moving house.. which sucks. I've got so much crap! Anyway, everything is moved except for Isabel... but the good news is she is practically ridable! All she needs is the damn seat to be done, then it's time to take her on the road... though I won't be able to get the seat done in time for move out date, so it'll be a pillow strapped to the seat pan style seat for the first ride... not ideal, but what can you do?

Some juicy pics of the progress...

IMG_0226_zpsciijdpzq.jpg

Finally got my brass cable adjusters after 8 weeks in the mail...

IMG_0232_zpsuhiqe1pp.jpg

Ooo... and what do we have here?

IMG_0230_zpsgk9qvbtx.jpg

IMG_0241_zpsl1lsi9xq.jpg

My good ol' Dad came up with this solution a couple of days ago... brilliant! I love it.

Actually it was a good solution against having to make major modifications to the petcock and carbs... but hey, vibration reduction is a good side-effect!

Back
Top Bottom