bluing spokes

rustreddesign

Been Around the Block
I'm getting the rims powder coated black and thought I might just clean up the stock spokes/nipples and blue them. My only issue is that I want to put some kind of protection over this as I live in IL and the humidity, as well as other conditions, would have these things rusting like a mother in no time. Regular rattle can clear coat aint gonna cut it - I want something a little more resiliant, but don't want to pay a lot (defeating the purpose of reusing the original spokes). Any recommendations?

Doesn't bluing still have rust? I've seen slides on blued guns rust. Why not powder the whole wheel?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Yep. That's why I would like some recommendations for something to apply over the blued steel. Basically, bluing is just a chemical reaction that turns the steel a bluish/black color. The metal is still vulnerable to rusting. Hence the need for a layer of protection.

I really don't want to powder coat or paint the spokes. I kind of like the raw look. Also, the price of coating everything can be a little pricey (at least more than I want to spend - it's partly an aesthetic / partly budgetary decision).

Right away I thought of a bore oil for guns. But wiping down 72 spokes with an oily rag a couple times a year would get old quickly........

Why not use black appliances epoxy on the spokes?

Depending on how black you want them, you can also wait for them to rust up a little superficially, and then hit them with a rust-to-primer spray. It's a more aggressive surface and I'd imagine it'd hold oil better if you were to spray it down.

Another option is a spray with a Teflon additive. They tend to cling a bit better than petroleum distillates or pure silicone alone. But it'd still be some work.

The surface of spokes is not steel, they are plated. Not sure gun blueing would work on the zinc plating.

Try doing some research at this site:
http://caswellplating.com

I would get them zinc plated. For a shoe box full of hardware, it is only $80 some dollars. The spokes hardly fill the box. I fill it with all the nuts, bolts, brackets, etc. I also do some tools, especially the OEM Honda tools in the pouch. Everything comes back looking new. Worth every penny. They will acid wash them first before plating. I usually just blast them before dropping them. Or, you can do it yourself if you're game.

As far as the nickel plating goes - one trip through the wire wheel on the bench grinder takes care of what's left of that. I've done one test spoke and it came out well.

I really want the raw blue steel look so nobody's talking me into powder/zinc coating.

Any suggestions on something to protect the raw steel besides clear powder? I do like the idea of the naval jelly spray - keep em coming.

Just keep in mind that bluing is an ancient method of steel preservation that doesn't prevent, but rather, simply slows the development of surface rust. ANything of the sort that you do *will* need constant maintenance, just a lot less than they otherwise would.

2K clear coat might do the trick. It's a two-part system so it hardens up like epoxy does.

I am thinking about leaving my tank bare and have a vht flameproof satin clear, marketed for use on headers that I was going to try using to prevent rust

Do you have any pics or examples of the look you are after?

I would advise 2 part paint on the tank. Spill any gas on a one part paint and you can kiss your finish goodbye.

spraymax 2k...shits tough as nails, doesn't get effed from the gas and is pretty cheap. Also check this out, just learned about it from another thread: http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/

But again, 72 spokes of justice will require some upkeep...

milehigh said:
spraymax 2k...shits tough as nails, doesn't get effed from the gas and is pretty cheap. Also check this out, just learned about it from another thread: http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/

But again, 72 spokes of justice will require some upkeep...

THANKS FOR THE LINK.....JUST ORDERED TWO CANS.

I know what that's like, man. I'm just teasing.

I've been a hot-rodder since I was 9, I wonder why I haven't heard of this stuff before...

I'm a gun nut. Worked in the firearms industry for eight years and am an instructor also and a soldier.
Bluing is a form of rust used to give guns a beautiful finish. Its weak, it scratches EASILY, and rusts really badly. If you have a beautifully blued weapon and reject to wipe it down after touching it, your fingerprints could be perminantly etched in it.
Bluing for spoked would look awesome for a show peace that doesnt get ridden or as we like to call them in the firearms biz "safe queens" but I doubt you want that.
Try duracoating! It impregnates the metal, extremely tough and very very high heat resistant.
http://www.lauerweaponry.com/
They have all the duracoat colors. Mix, spray and bake and you will have spokes that are fit to survive the mountains of afganistan, the gritty sand of the desert, or the salt of the ocean ;D

That Gibbs brand stuff looks like some awesome shit. If nothing else, I have a lot of bare aluminum that I could use something like that on. If you visit the Gibbs Website there is a bare steel '36 roadster protected with the stuff! Badass! The duracoat stuff is pretty interesting too. Great suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom