1977 BMW R100/7 Sarcoplasmic Cow Hellride

I began work on the front end, which also means I need a manual spring compressor and a seal tool. So, I made my own out of pipe hangers and some maple...

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_2239.JPG
    IMG_2239.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 229
  • IMG_2238.JPG
    IMG_2238.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 221
The front end is now all TL1000r with some cap extensions to give some lift. This will have some lean...

Attachments

• IMG_2248.JPG
    IMG_2248.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 208
A little victory in getting my key switch on the triple tree. I don’t like the headlight mount and it was a bad idea on the side cover. I mean, not bad but not good.

Attachments

• IMG_2264.JPG
    IMG_2264.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 224
I went to Flanders low Euro bars and I machined caps for the fork extensions...

Attachments

• IMG_2288.JPG
    IMG_2288.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 358
  • IMG_2287.JPG
    IMG_2287.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 220
Yep, that looks great. how far over do you lean with the bars? Hard to tell from pics. They are either going to be just right or kill your wrists LOL. I had a similar set on the GL at one point and they were just about a .5" too low and my wrists screamed at me after an hour, then I got wrecked and replaced with a set that looked the same but had that .5" more rise and they are all day long comfortable. So what I am saying is they look great and I hope they are at the right height LOL.

Maritime said:
Yep, that looks great. how far over do you lean with the bars? Hard to tell from pics. They are either going to be just right or kill your wrists LOL. I had a similar set on the GL at one point and they were just about a .5" too low and my wrists screamed at me after an hour, then I got wrecked and replaced with a set that looked the same but had that .5" more rise and they are all day long comfortable. So what I am saying is they look great and I hope they are at the right height LOL.
It's not just the rise that's a factor, but the pullback. These are a 4" pullback bar, which makes them very comfortable. My wrists are at a natural bend, or lack thereof. Regardless, if I need to bring them back, I have enough thread to machine a 1.5" riser.

Dig the bars.. that's my favorite style of handlebar. They always look nice on airheads

irk miller said:
It's not just the rise that's a factor, but the pullback. These are a 4" pullback bar, which makes them very comfortable. My wrists are at a natural bend, or lack thereof. Regardless, if I need to bring them back, I have enough thread to machine a 1.5" riser.

True, they looked good but It's hard to tell from a pic. Glad they are comfy.

Trying to figure out the rear fender.

I cut a stock fender in half and riveted (aluminum rivets) it together with what appears to be a vintage dirt bike replica fender. Once I get the shape and orientation down, I’ll glass them together into one fender. There’s an odd look about this fender right now, but a seat, side covers, the tail light, etc should balance the it out. I want enough fender over the wheel to keep the mud off my back, plus actually mount a license plate.

Attachments

• IMG_2297.JPG
    IMG_2297.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2298.JPG
    IMG_2298.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 215
Looks like a bit to much of a gap between the tyre and the tip of the fender.
How are you planning to mount the tail light and license plate?
Under the fender would work to fill in that gap.

I started the seat pan tonight. I didn’t take pics of the foam base, but basically I cut and carved insulation foam, taped it up with masking tape, coated it in mold release, then laid no blush epoxy and fiberglass mat. I thicken the epoxy up with System 3 fused silica so I can lay it thick and so it holds on vertical surfaces. When it cures, I’ll trim it down, then sculpt a hard foam master shape for the cushion, make a mold, then cast the seat cushion. More on that when stuff arrives from Charlotte.

Attachments

• IMG_2301.JPG
    IMG_2301.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 214
Cured overnight, rough cut the sides (not the ends) with shears, removed the foam, and now I’m adding a few more layers...

Attachments

• IMG_2302.JPG
    IMG_2302.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 212
I always love watching people do body work. I suck so bad at it and it always amazes me how folks can take a three dimension lump of whatever and turn it into something that looks really great.

canyoncarver said:
What is "no blush epoxy"?
Blushing is a waxy layer (caused my moisture in the air) that develops on the surface of epoxies with amine curing agents as they cure. It can actually be visibly white, and is actually ammonium carbonate. I use the Basic No Blush epoxy from Progressive Epoxy Polymers. You should go to their site. You'll either love it or hate it, because I'm pretty sure it was built in 1992 and has never changed since. here

Progressive Epoxy Polymers. Best place ever to get epoxy! Yes, the web site is . . . . .unique!

Very keen to see the foam cushion casting!

Back
Top Bottom