Motorcycles Versus . . . Apple?

ABull

Forgive me if this NY Times piece has already been referenced:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/opinion/sunday/is-the-iphone-replacing-the-motorcycle.html?_r=1&src=recg

The thesis is that Apple products (for example) are supplanting motorcycles as the "cool" purchase for a younger generation. A little bit of a logical fallacy, but . . .

Discuss.

To me, I see his point. The kids nowadays are interested in their tech, less concerned about working (in general, let alone working hard), and spend most of their time on the gadgets they do have. To put what I'm saying into some perspective, I'm only 26 years old, so I'm not THAT much older than the next generation. But I do see it, very clearly.

I came from a very mechanical family. My dad was the kid that would weld the lawnmower engine to the bicycle they had, and watch as it fell off while his brother rode it! I picked that up and have been wrenching on bikes, hell anything I can get my hands on for fun. Today, I see less of the mechanical minded kids, and more of the tech. Not to say it's a bad thing, but there is a disconnect with the manufacturing type of economy we used to be I suppose....hell, not sure if I'm wording it correctly like that, but I hope you get what I mean. I'd rather spend 400 on ANY junky looking bike than an apple product, but that's how I grew up I suppose.

Ppppptttthhhhhhhh!!!! Really? What's next? People with mustaches prefer dr. Martens footwear?

MotorbikeBruno said:
To me, I see his point. The kids nowadays are interested in their tech, less concerned about working (in general, let alone working hard), and spend most of their time on the gadgets they do have. To put what I'm saying into some perspective, I'm only 26 years old, so I'm not THAT much older than the next generation. But I do see it, very clearly.

I came from a very mechanical family. My dad was the kid that would weld the lawnmower engine to the bicycle they had, and watch as it fell off while his brother rode it! I picked that up and have been wrenching on bikes, hell anything I can get my hands on for fun. Today, I see less of the mechanical minded kids, and more of the tech. Not to say it's a bad thing, but there is a disconnect with the manufacturing type of economy we used to be I suppose....hell, not sure if I'm wording it correctly like that, but I hope you get what I mean. I'd rather spend 400 on ANY junky looking bike than an apple product, but that's how I grew up I suppose.

MotorbikeBruno - I totally get what your saying and totally agree. The younger generation seems to want things turn key, ready to go, instead of working on anything. and the techy stuff gets more media attention cuz it only benefits the media outlets (tv, movies, games etc...) I too remember my brother piecing together a bicycle out of other bikes, and while I am definitely more of the techy, I appreciate the effort of making something with your own hands

Bruno, I think if there is any redeeming value in the NY Times opinion piece it is the comment on the generational shift, which you alluded to. Unfortunately, replacing the kind of Apple, techy knowledge with mechanical knowledge only makes us more susceptible to consumerism, which appeared to be aHbe Racer's point.

I think a missed aspect here is that the article isnt talking about building or customizing bikes. Its about the fact that our society is quickly becoming more interested and based opon the idea of experience through media that experience through action. Why go on an afternoon ride and meet up with guys from another area for a beer and wings, when you can Skype with them? Why get on a bike and truly immerse youself in the sights, smalls and sounds of a cool little town you've never been too when you can visit their website? Whos cooler; the guy with the latest toys that keep him chained to virtual representations of the world, or the guy on the motorcycle who is part of the reality so many ignore? The appeal of "the biker" has always been that they are the wanderers, and the adventurers. That was cool. That was interesting. Now its more attractive to download a bands new album than it is to see them live and buy the CD from their merch table. Theres little respect for the vagabonds in todays world.

VonYinzer said:
Now its more attractive to download a bands new album than it is to see them live and buy the CD from their merch table. Theres little respect for the vagabonds in todays world.

So true. Maybe I didn't take the article for how it was written, but it struck a chord with me as far as the tech and how you hear so many "life uneducated" people, aka those that do nothing but talk about stuff in the media and on the internet and not actually DO anything. For me its just hard to see because I'm not even that "old" so to speak. I'm just lucky and very happy with the fact that I not only respect working for things in the here and now, I also respect what has been, and what will be too.

The writer is a Ducati fetishist, the worst kind of motorcycle enthusiast. His article holds no water.

Our society has gotten farther and farther away from the time when achievement or success were the product of a man's hands.
I'm sure most of you would agree that's not necessarily a good thing.

I'm probably in this generation that we're talking about. And I agree with you guys, my generation has no sense of achievement. I know this probably doesn't really sound relevant, but just listen. In dodgeball games(I'm 17 and going to be a junior, and sophomore year I played in a game with the junior high) there's about 80% of the kids on my team that just stood there and did nothing, till I got them all riled up. This proves that in something as simple as a physical game, a lot of them don't care. Even in sports most of them just do the sport to hang out with their friends or to do something in the afternoon. They don't want to do anything!!!!!! it's sucks sooo much! my generation sucks! Most of them don't even care to read a book! they're lazy! When I was finally able to work on a motorcycle I was so happy that when I wasn't cleaning my work area to work on the bike, I was actually reading the Clymer manual. and now that I've basically rebuilt it(just needs some parts) I felt so accomplished. I hope you guys get where I'm coming from, and don't think I'm just complaining, I was just backing up your statement that "the next generation has no sense of accomplishment"

i think the younger generations need to be inspired,there are also not the same type of role models in place for working with your hands. for the technology,its a benefit as far as motorcycling is concerned for various reasons. maybe if all the ads were not about lifestyle,clothing,n just riding n bout building n wrenching things would be a lil different.

Re: Re: Motorcycles Versus . . . Apple?

Fix said:
Our society has gotten farther and farther away from the time when achievement or success were the product of a man's hands.
I'm sure most of you would agree that's not necessarily a good thing.
agree totally!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

There are some of the younger generations that are coming along we have a couple down here that are really inspired by the opportunity to create with there hands. Which is nice to see but there are many of these younger people down this way that can't make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich which is disappointing

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

They've written several articles about this in the car mags. Kids now a days think a car that gets 30 m.p.g. is a gas hog. The price of fuel doesn't equal the instant gratification they get by video games and ordering pizza on their computer. More kids are waiting to get their licenses or not getting them at all. Most are trying to get jobs within walking if not bus distance. Are there kids taking up the hobbies? Yes, but at a much lower rate than the dieing fat guys of my generation. I don't see it happening to bikes as much as cars, and I hear the plane guys have all but given up. It is a dieing technology. Maybe not in our lifetime, but at some point.....Who knows? I know there are more custom shops (both cars and bikes) but as saturation approaches and the $ guys die off it will be another old fad. Look what happened with the chopper craze, now there are all these 60k bikes nobody can dump for 10.... Like everything, as the next fad hits, the core guys who didn't give a shit about the sheeple will still ride, still build, because it's what we do....

I'm lucky to find the power button on my computer.

I'm 41, been turning wrenches since I was 4 years old. I'd much rather have a tangible hands on project than sit around playing video games, texting, other stupid pointless shit. Most of my school peers went the other way, they are all techies.

It unfortunately isn't just the current generation of youth.

Back
Top Bottom