~1935 Hardinge Cataract Bench Lathe Restoration

It's no big deal, the motor is fine I just need a new controller board.
Ill just snag another cheap treadmill off CL.

null_zpsbd3ec163.jpg

First coat of super high build primer. Going to lay it on thick and sand it back to get some semblance of a smooth surface

Look at pottery wheels too. They have a high torque motor with reverse and variable speed control built in. I've converted potters wheels to wood and plaster vertical lathes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a thought.
The best part about treadmills is they are everywhere and super cheap.

nice color bitch ;D
seeing is how you are a wood guy you have all kinds of resources you dint even know
here is a pic if a small boring tool i fashioned out of a 1/2' cemented carbide router bit
i think it WAS 2 flutes anyway ground it down to a shape,single point, that works for clearance in order to finish bore this little shock shaft seal bullet dealy, hole needed bore @ .435''
another trick as you can see when parting off a piece is just having whatever is handy like the drill poked in there so the piece can be caught after cut off,otherwise sucks when you gotta dig in the chip bin

Attachments

• piggies and nos 020.JPG
    piggies and nos 020.JPG
    866.5 KB · Views: 323
  • piggies and nos 022.JPG
    piggies and nos 022.JPG
    850.5 KB · Views: 314
  • piggies and nos 025.JPG
    piggies and nos 025.JPG
    888.4 KB · Views: 330
  • piggies and nos 031.JPG
    piggies and nos 031.JPG
    854.2 KB · Views: 319
I had almost the exact same colour on a set of Fiat wheels for my Alfa Romeo ;D

Well I love the color, but I don't think I like it with the cabinet.
So shit.
Going to go with a wet mirror black instead.

Picked up some high gloss black today from my paint guy. I think I'm going to like it a whole lot better.

xb33bsa said:
nice color bitch ;D
seeing is how you are a wood guy you have all kinds of resources you dint even know
here is a pic if a small boring tool i fashioned out of a 1/2' cemented carbide router bit
i think it WAS 2 flutes anyway ground it down to a shape,single point, that works for clearance in order to finish bore this little shock shaft seal bullet dealy, hole needed bore @ .435''
another trick as you can see when parting off a piece is just having whatever is handy like the drill poked in there so the piece can be caught after cut off,otherwise sucks when you gotta dig in the chip bin

It's a nice color fucker ;)
It came from a 53 Buick.
But it just clashed with the maple top of the cabinet so black it it.

I never thought of using I'm router bits. I've got a pile of dull and broken ones.
I just got a 3/8" carbide tipped lathe tool set off eBay to start with.

what ? I like the blue reminds me of an old car
if you don't like it at least it is a good base fer gray eh ?

xb33bsa said:
what ? I like the blue reminds me of an old car
if you don't like it at least it is a good base fer gray eh ?

I was just fucking with you amigo.
But I am going to paint it high gloss black, and all the accents will be bare metal

I like it black is good when you are machining that unobtanium, reciprikating dingle arm it will keep molecules inline and prevent colashing ;)

all seriousness aside I suggest a backboard for the bench,keeps chips from slagging up the shop or wall and towards the tailstock end you can have some tray/mini shelves for the most commonaly used tooling,drills,centers, cutters etc

Back
Top Bottom