FJ600 Yamaha picture

jimmer

Coast to Coast
Not sure where to post this,but here it is.These were pretty decent back in the day.They kicked butt at 24 hours of Nelson Ledges.

Attachments

• FJ600 001.jpg
    FJ600 001.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 217
Had one in the garage for a while. My ex GF's bike. Really great machine.

This was the first bike I gave my son (four years ago) it was a wonderful bike that he rode the wheels off. The cam chain broke at 33,000 miles. I know that doesn't sound good, but my kid put 22,000 miles on it in a year. They were fast (for the time they were built), handled well and hauled my 210lb ass around with out a problem. My sunday breakfast ride had a whole family riding these bikes (a father, his two sons and a wife). I put my kids in storage and may someday bring it back......

The FJ600 was the next generation after the XJ550:

Yamaha%20XJ550%20Sega.jpg

Which was a sweet revving bike in it's own right.

The FJ600 combined the style of the 900 Seca with the tweaked motor of the 550:

SecaBrochureA.jpg

FJ900, hard to find parts in the U.S. but one of my favorite bikes. I really liked how smooth it rode and loved the style. That thing would gather a crowd quick. They used them for years in Europe as currier bikes, but they were one year only in the U.S. The XJ 550 was a very fun bike. I used to beat the hell out of mine (beautiful red paint) and never had anything but the starter button fail. Yamaha made some really neat bikes...

Not quite true...they were '84-85 or '85-86 in the U.S.

And it's a pretty damn quick bike, for it's age. I'm pretty sure Kenny Roberts raced one for a year or so.

These are all great bikes that really deserved more credit than they got at the time. My FJ600 always ran strong and was the first bike that "fit me like a glove". Great ergonomics. Some guy loaded it on a trailer with about 20 other UJM's back in the early 90's, shipped them all off overseas somewhere.

jimmer said:
These are all great bikes that really deserved more credit than they got at the time. My FJ600 always ran strong and was the first bike that "fit me like a glove". Great ergonomics. Some guy loaded it on a trailer with about 20 other UJM's back in the early 90's, shipped them all off overseas somewhere.

You know? I had the same thing happen. I had a GS750 for sale and this guy shows up with a trailer, didn't test ride it or anything, then turns and picked another five of my bikes out. I was a fool, thought, No problem, I'll just buy more. UGH! Several of those bikes I was never able to replace in the condition they were in. My CB900, CB1100, GS1000, GS750, Seca550, GPZ900, Seca900 gone. You just think you can replace them, and you probably can, but not usually as cheap. Hell, I only gave $800 for the GS1000 all because the owner didn't know how to change a battery and clean carbs.

They all went to Japan. The local market there was restricted to lower CC bikes but the loophole was you could import larger cc bikes as grey imports and there wasn't a problem - so they paid big money to get bikes sent from O/S back to sell locally because the market wanted them.

Same thing happened over here with all the original Z1's and CB750's - gone.

canyoncarver said:
I've got an 86' Radian, it has the same motor as that FJ.

The Radian had smaller carbs and cams, possibly just a different intake cam...there's conflicting information about that....for better mid range and low end.
I've had and ridden both. Both excellent bikes, but the FJ was faster.

Back
Top Bottom