1959 Lone Star El Dorado "Project Texas Tornado" (Another Boat)

I love boats and this is turning out to be a really good looking one!

Great work !

Steve

Thank you everyone for the compliments! I'm glad to see you like it as much as I do! From here on out it is my favorite part where stuff gets to go back on the boat.

With the holiday weekend coming I So two days of in a row so tonight after work I am going to go pick the boat up from the shop and bring it home and try putting the motor on tomorrow so I can start to run all of the mechanical.

Also while I was at work today a freight truck made a special Saturday delivery!!! Straight from UPD plastics in Florida!

Well that looks amazing mate :D You should be well pleased with yourself 8)

A little update from the long weekend, I got the motor and splash well installed minus controls, that should be this week. I also got 2 of the 4 floorboards in. Not much, but it is progress.

My to do list from here out:

Controls:
-Steering
-Throttle/shift

Electrical:
-Bilge pump
-Navigation lights
-Interior lights
-Horn
-Fuse block
-VHF

Floor:
-Remaining boards
-Carpet

Sides:
-Make
-Upholster
-Flotation Foam

Windows

Finish 2 remaining seats

Misc:
-Cleats
-Thru hull fittings
-Hand rail
-Gauges
-Fuel tank
-Misc painting
-Badges

If you think I am forgetting anything let me know!

Attachments

• wsf (87x92).jpg
    wsf (87x92).jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,336
Well looks like I have slipped a little bit with the updates and I apologize but since my last update I have been working 2-3 days each week on the boat and she is starting to look like a vessel again!....Almost...

Since the last update I have:
Installed the NFB steering system
Hooked up motor controls
Installed 800GPH bilge pump
Cleaned the trim pieces
Cleats installed
Switch panel and fuse block installed
Side panels cut
Rear section of floor installed

​I still have not run any wires for the boats system but I ordered a fuel tank, carpet, and some other small electrical components.

I ended up going with the Owens Corning XPS boards. I got them all cut up and in the hull nice and tight. I also picked up 4 yards of vinyl to finish the side panels.

Here are some pics of what I have been up to:

I got a little bit of work done on the boat today, I got the speedometer pickup and pilot tube run, and with some help from my mom I got the side panels all finished up!

Guess who officially finished upholstery tonight!?!?! Big Grin :DBig Grin :D Turned out pretty good if I do say so myself, Mom and I worked pretty hard on these.

I was also at the boat today- installed the speedometer and started running some electrical wires.

It wont be long now... I have a goal finish date or at least a presentable date of August 27 for the GreatLakes Antique Outboard & Boat Show.

Me remaining list as of 7/31 - 8/1 2016, and if I am missing anything please let me know:

Electrical:
-Battery nstalled
-Navigation lights
-Interior lights
-Horn
-VHF

Floor:
-Carpet

Windows

Misc:
-Thru hull fittings
-Hand rail
-Gauges
-Misc painting
-Badges

And some pics of the seats:

Quick update before I run off to work.

I got the side emblem on with new barrel nuts, installed VHF, nav lights, horn and all other (for now) wiring in and finished. Eventually I want to put in some interior lights but was unable to make my mind up what lights I wanted. The two side windows cleaned up and in yesterday along with the registration numbers and carpet. I used some 20oz marine carpet I got on eBay, and some Roberts 6700 carpet glue.

She is getting close now! I can taste it, only a few more days of work left I think.

Well I think this might be the last update on the project before the boat is done and at the show on Saturday! The boat is pretty much done minus a few little small things, a cleaning and engine tuning. I dont have any pictures of the project as a whole but I do have some of little things I did.

I went to clean up the hand rails for the roof and the OE aluminum thin wall tubes were very corroded to the point where I could not properly clean them up so I went to buy new 7/8" tubes. At the metal shop I found that solid 7/8" diameter 6061 extruded bars were 1/3 of the price of drawn tubes! The finish on the extruded bars was not the great compared to the drawn tubes. So.... I bought the solid bar, checked it up to the lathe and did a sanding and scotch-brite buffing then cut it to length. I ended up with a great satin finish and the solid bar gives a nice feel mounted to the roof.

The raw extruded finish...

The final finish...

Up close..

Next was the drain tubes for the splash well. After looking at the plans for the flairing tool and the local outboard shop wanting $25 a day to rent theirs I decided to make my own, again cue lathe. I used a 1/2" nut bolt, 2 fender washers, and then turned the flairing portion out of some scrap 1018 steel (not stainless Cold :cold:) I put the tubes in and cut them to length put some 5200 in the holes, put the tool in and hit it once with the air ratchet- result was pretty professional looking IMO. ANd now I have a tool for the next project!

The flaired ends:

Well...here it is... after a little over 2 years, 2 shops, 2 cars, 2 jobs and half of my college career, the Lone*Star is finally complete* :eek: with the exception of a mechanical issue keeping me from splashing. I have a new part on the way that I hope will fix the problem and allow me to splash next week some time. There are some things I want to do to the boat as time goes on such as get the tilt pump installed, install some interior lighting, get a cover made, Find proper prop for the engine/boat combo, possibly a radio and a few other luxury items. But for now it is good!

Since the last update the side panels went in, the windshield from UPD installed perfectly (my biggest fear), I got the OE table refinished with some leftover SeaGuard paint and scoth brite for the trim. I also installed a stainless dive ladder on the transom.

About a month after I bought the boat I was searching eBay and found three pieces that this project would not be complete without and I was saving them to be the last pieces I put on the boat. I found a NOS 1959 Michigan trailer plate (for display purposes only) and the pièce de résistance a matching set of 1959 Michigan boat plates. My hull had holes drilled in it when the boat was purchased and I had to do a little research to find out what it was for.

Without wasting any more time.... Pictures!Eyebrows :eyebrows:

Sleeper conversion!

Back
Top Bottom